Temporal dynamics of fine roots under long-term exposure to elevated CO2 in the Mojave Desert
Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 1, pages 127–138, April 2013
How to Cite
Sonderegger, D. L., Ogle, K., Evans, R. D., Ferguson, S. and Nowak, R. S. (2013), Temporal dynamics of fine roots under long-term exposure to elevated CO2 in the Mojave Desert. New Phytologist, 198: 127–138. doi: 10.1111/nph.12128
- Issue online: 25 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 12 SEP 2012
- 2011. Maintenance of C sinks sustains enhanced C assimilation during long-term exposure to elevated CO2 in Mojave Desert shrubs. Oecologia 167: 339–354. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Water pulses and biogeochemical cycles in arid and semiarid ecosystems. Oecologia 141: 221–235. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Fine root responses of mature deciduous forest trees to free air carbon dioxide enrichment (FACE). Functional Ecology 23: 913–921. , , .
- 2009. Linking microbial community structure and function to seasonal differences in soil moisture and temperature in a Chihuahuan desert grassland. Microbial ecology 58: 827–42. , , , , , .
- 2006. Measuring transpiration responses to summer precipitation in a Mediterranean climate: a simple screening tool for identifying plant water-use strategies. Physiologia Plantarum 127: 404–412. .
- 1998. Plant–soil interactions in temperate grasslands. Biogeochemistry 42: 121–143. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Temperature responses of soil respiration in deserts: a seven desert synthesis. Biogeochemistry 103: 71–90. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Soil texture drives responses of soil respiration to precipitation pulses in the Sonoran Desert: implications for climate change. Ecosystems 11: 961–979. , , , , .
- 1997. A large ephemeral release of nitrogen upon wetting of dry soil and corresponding root responses in the field. Plant and Soil 191: 291–299. , .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of elevated CO2 effects on woody plant mass, form, and physiology. Oecologia 113: 299–313. , .
- 2006. Temperature sensitivity of soil carbon decomposition and feedbacks to climate change. Nature 440: 165–73. , .
- 2006. Interactions between plant growth and soil nutrient cycling under elevated CO2: a meta-analysis. Global Change Biology 12: 2077–2091. , , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of plant size on photosynthesis and water relations in the desert shrub Prosopis glandulosa (Fabaceae). American Journal of Botany 83: 99–105. , , , , .
- 2011. Phenology constrains opportunistic growth response in Bromus tectorum L. Plant Ecology 213: 103–112. , , .
- 2004. Photosynthesis, carboxylation and leaf nitrogen responses of 16 species to elevated pCO2 across four free-air CO2 enrichment experiments in forest, grassland and desert. Global Change Biology 10: 2121–2138. , , , , , .
- 1999. Response of the shortgrass steppe to changes in rainfall seasonality. Ecosystems 2: 139–150. , , .
- 2011. Transitory effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on fine root dynamics in an arid ecosystem do not increase long-term soil carbon input from fine root litter. New Phytologist 190: 953–967. , .
- 1999. Root production and turnover in an upland grassland subjected to artificial soil warming respond to radiation flux and nutrients, not temperature. Oecologia 120: 575–581. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Prior distributions for variance parameters in hierarchical models. Bayesian Analysis 1: 515–533. .
- 2007. Data analysis using regression and multilevel/hierarchical models. Cambridge, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1992. Inference from iterative simulation using multiple sequences. Statistical Science 7: 457–472. , .
- 2002. Effects of elevated CO2 (FACE) on the functional ecology of the drought-deciduous Mojave Desert shrub, Lycium andersonii. Environmental and Experimental Botany 48: 93–106. , , , .
- 2000. Effects of extreme high temperature, drought and elevated CO2 on photosynthesis of the Mojave Desert evergreen shrub, Larrea tridentata. Plant Ecology 148: 183–193. , , , .
- 1980. Seasonal dynamics of root system respiration in Atriplex confertifolia. Plant and Soil 55: 307–317. , .
- 2006. Increases in desert shrub productivity under elevated carbon dioxide vary with water availability. Ecosystems 9: 374–385. , , , , , .
- 1998. Photosynthetic down-regulation in Larrea tridentata exposed to elevated atmospheric CO2: interaction with drought under glasshouse and field (FACE) exposure. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 1153–1161. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Photosynthesis in an invasive grass and native forb at elevated CO2 during an El Niño year in the Mojave Desert. Oecologia 128: 193–201. , .
- 2004. Precipitation pulses and carbon fluxes in semiarid and arid ecosystems. Oecologia 141: 254–268. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. No growth stimulation by CO2 enrichment in alpine glacier forefield plants. Global Change Biology 18: 985–999. , , .
- 2003. Root responses and nitrogen acquisition by Artemisia tridentata and Agropyron desertorum following small summer rainfall events. Oecologia 134: 317–324. , , , , , .
- 2008. CO2 enrichment increases carbon and nitrogen input from fine roots in a deciduous forest. New Phytologist 179: 837–47. , , .
- 1999. Biotic, abiotic and performance aspects of the Nevada Desert Free-Air CO2 Enrichment (FACE) Facility. Global Change Biology 6: 659–668. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. A comparative modeling study of soil water dynamics in a desert ecosystem. Water Resources Research 33: 73–90. , , , .
- 2002. Responses of agricultural crops to free-air CO2 enrichment. In: Advances in agronomy, volume 77. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 293–368. , , .
- 2008. Plant physiological ecology, 2nd edn. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , .
- 1987. Root dynamics of Bouteloua gracilis during short-term recovery from drought. Functional Ecology 1: 117–124. , , , .
- 2006. Root biomass of individual species, and root size characteristics after five years of CO2 enrichment on native shortgrass steppe. Plant and Soil 279: 219–228. , , , , , .
- 2000. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on fine root production and activity in an intact temperate forest ecosystem. Global Change Biology 6: 967–979. , .
- 1993. Global climate change and terrestrial net primary production. Nature 363: 234–240. , , , , , .
- 2011. C grasses prosper as carbon dioxide eliminates desiccation in warmed semi-arid grassland. Nature 476: 202–5. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Fine-root production dominates response of a decidious forest to atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 9689–9693. , , , , .
- 2011. Ecological lessons from Free-Air CO2 Enrichment (FACE) experiments. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics 42: 181–203. , .
- 1973. Desert ecosystems: environment and producers. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 4: 25–51. .
- 2004. Plant responses to precipitation in desert ecosystems: integrating functional types, pulses, thresholds, and delays. Oecologia 141: 282–294. , .
- 2005. Fine root distribution and persistence under field conditions of three co-occurring Great Basin species of different life form. New Phytologist 165: 171–180. , , , , .
- 2006. Effects of elevated CO2 on fine root dynamics in a Mojave Desert community: a FACE study. Global Change Biology 12: 61–73. , , , , , .
- 2003. JAGS: a program for analysis of bayesian graphical models using gibbs sampling. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Distributed Statistical Computing (DSC 2003). Vienna, Austria. .
- 2006. Antecedent moisture and seasonal precipitation influence the response of canopy-scale carbon and water exchange to rainfall pulses in a semi-arid grassland. New Phytologist 170: 849–60. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Desertification. In: Convey P, ed. Encyclopedia of biodiversity. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 61–78. .
- 1999. Impact of drought on desert shrubs: effects of seasonality and degree of resource island development. Ecological Monographs 69: 69–106. , , , , .
- 1994. Plant responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment with emphasis on roots and the rhizosphere. Environmental Pollution 83: 155–189. , , .
- 1996. Ecological communities and processes in a Mojave Desert ecosystem. New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2009. Responses of dryland soil respiration and soil carbon pool size to abrupt vs. gradual and individual vs. combined changes in soil temperature, precipitation, and atmospheric CO2: a simulation analysis. Global Change Biology 15: 2274–2294. , , .
- 2000. Elevated CO2 increases productivity and invasive species success in an arid ecosystem. Nature 408:79–81. , , , .
- 1966. Effect of past an prevailing temperatures on the carbon dioxide exchange capacities of some Woody Desert perennials. Ecology 47: 1043–1045. , .
- 1995. Effect of seasonal water availability on phenology and the annual shoot carbohydrate cycle of tropical forest shrubs. Functional Ecology 9: 518–527. , .
- 2004. Fine root growth dynamics of four Mojave Desert shrubs as related to soil moisture and microsite. Journal of Arid Environments 56: 129–148. , , , .
- 2007. The response of sap flow to pulses of rain in a temperate Australian woodland. Plant and Soil 305: 121–130. , , , .