These authors contributed equally to this work.
Epigenetic modification contributes to the expression divergence of three TaEXPA1 homoeologs in hexaploid wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 4, pages 1344–1352, March 2013
How to Cite
Hu, Z., Han, Z., Song, N., Chai, L., Yao, Y., Peng, H., Ni, Z. and Sun, Q. (2013), Epigenetic modification contributes to the expression divergence of three TaEXPA1 homoeologs in hexaploid wheat (Triticum aestivum). New Phytologist, 197: 1344–1352. doi: 10.1111/nph.12131
- Issue online: 4 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 OCT 2012
- Major Program of the National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 31290210, 31290212
- National Basic Research Program of China. Grant Number: 2012CB910903
- National Science Foundation for Distinguished Young Scholars. Grant Number: 30925023
- 2003. Genes duplicated by polyploidy show unequal contributions to the transcriptome and organ-specific reciprocal silencing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 10: 4369–4371. , , , .
- 2005. Polyploidy and genome evolution in plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 135–141. , .
- 2007. The complex language of chromatin regulation during transcription. Nature 447: 407–412. .
- 2006. Homoeologous gene silencing in hexaploid wheat. Plant Journal 47: 897–906. , , .
- 1999. Modification of expansin protein abundance in tomato fruit alters softening and cell wall polymer metabolism during ripening. Plant Cell 11: 2203–2216. , , , , , .
- 2009. Reciprocal silencing, transcriptional bias and functional divergence of homoeologs in polyploid cotton (Gossypium). Genetics 182: 503–517. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of an expansin is associated with endosperm weakening during tomato seed germination. Plant Physiology 124: 1265–1274. , .
- 2001. Two tomato expansin genes show divergent expression and localization in embryos during seed development and germination. Plant Physiology 127: 928–936. , , .
- 2011. Three homologous genes encoding sn-Glycerol-3-Phosphate Acyltransferase 4 exhibit different expression patterns and functional divergence in Brassica napus. Plant Physiology 155: 851–865. , , , , , .
- 2007. Genetic and epigenetic mechanisms for gene expression and phenotypic variation in plant polyploids. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 377–406. .
- 2006. Mechanisms of genomic rearrangements and gene expression changes in plant polyploids. BioEssays 28: 240–252. , .
- 2000. Altered expression of expansin modulates leaf growth and pedicel abscission in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 9783–9788. , .
- 2002. Regulation of root hair initiation and expansin gene expression in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 14: 3237–3253. , .
- 1997. Expansins and internodal growth of deepwater rice. Plant Physiology 113: 1145–1151. , .
- 2005. The advantages and disadvantages of being polyploid. Nature Reviews Genetics 6: 836–846. .
- 2000. Phenotypic instability and rapid gene silencing in newly formed Arabidopsis allotetraploids. Plant Cell 12: 1551–1567. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Cell wall loosening by expansins. Plant Physiology 118: 333–339. .
- 2000. Loosening of plant cell walls by expansins. Nature 407: 321–326. .
- 1997. Group I allergens of grass pollen as cell wall-loosening agents. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 6559–6564. , , .
- 2002. The growing world of expansins. Plant and Cell Physiology 43: 1236–1244. , , , , , .
- 2005. Allopolyploidy – a shaping force in the evolution of wheat genomes. Cytogenetic and Genome Research 109: 250–258. , .
- 1997. Induction of leaf primordia by the cell wall protein expansin. Science 276: 1415–1418. , , , .
- 2007. Genomic changes in resynthesized Brassica napus and their effect on gene expression and phenotype. Plant Cell 19: 3403–3417. , , , , .
- 2003. Temporal analysis of alpha and beta-expansin expression during floral opening and senescence. Plant Science 164: 769–781. , , .
- 1981. Plant speciation. New York, NY, USA: Columbia University Press. .
- 2008. Kismeth: analyzer of plant methylation states through bisulfite sequencing. BMC Bioinformatics 9: 371. , , , , , .
- 2003. Genome-wide mRNA profiling reveals heterochronic allelic variation and a new imprinted gene in hybrid maize endosperm. Plant Journal 36: 30–44. , , , , .
- 2004. PAF1-complex-mediated histone methylation of FLOWERING LOCUS C chromatin is required for the vernalization-responsive, winter-annual habit in Arabidopsis. Genes & Development 18: 2774–2784. , , .
- 2008. Partitioned expression of duplicated genes during development and evolution of a single cell in a polyploid plant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 6191–6195. , , , , .
- 2011. Expression divergence of TaMBD2 homoeologous genes encoding methyl CpG-binding domain proteins in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Gene 471: 13–18. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Translating the histone code. Science 293: 1074–1080. , .
- 2002. Gene loss, silencing and activation in a newly synthesized wheat allotetraploid. Genetics 160: 1651–1659. , , .
- 2003. Expression of an expansin gene is correlated with root elongation in soybean. Plant Physiology 131: 985–997. , , , , .
- 2001. Expansins: ever-expanding numbers and functions. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 4: 527–532. , , .
- 2001. Expression of β-expansins is correlated with internodal elongation in deepwater rice. Plant Physiology 127: 645–654. , .
- 2007. The role of chromatin during transcription. Cell 128: 707–719. , , .
- 2002. Plant expansins are a complex multigene family with an ancient evolutionary origin. Plant Physiology 128: 854–864. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Expansins and cell growth. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 603–610. , , .
- 2005. Isolation and characterization of 18 genes encoding α- and β-expansins in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Molecular & General Genomics 274: 548–556. , , , , , .
- 2007. Expression partitioning between genes duplicated by polyploidy under abiotic stress and during organ development. Current Biology 17: 1669–1674. , .
- 2000. The probability of duplicate gene preservation by subfunctionalization. Genetics 154: 459–473. , .
- 1994. Stomatal size in fossil plants, evidence for polyploidy in majority of angiosperms. Science 264: 421–423. .
- 1992. Two endogenous proteins that induce wall extension. Plant Cell 4: 1425–1433. , , .
- 2008. Genomic and genic sequence variation in synthetic hexaploid wheat (AABBDD) as compared to their parental species. Progress in Natural Science 18: 533–538. , , , , , .
- 2005. Three genomes differentially contribute to the biosynthesis of benzoxazinones in hexaploid wheat. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 16490–16495. , , , , .
- 2001. Local expression of expansin induces the entire process of leaf development and modifies leaf shape. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 11812–11817. , , , , .
- 2001. Differential expression of α- and β-expansin genes in the elongating leaf of Festuca pratensis. Plant Molecular Biology 46: 491–504. , , , .
- 1995. Molecular cloning and sequence analysis of expansins – a highly conserved multigene family of proteins that mediate cell wall extension in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 9245–9249. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Genetic and epigenetic alteration among three homoeologous genes of a class E MADS box gene in hexaploid wheat. Plant Cell 19: 1723–1737. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. The evolutionary dynamics of polyploid plants: origins, establishment and persistence. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 7: 302–306. , .
- 2005. Reversible histone acetylation and deacetylation mediate genome-wide, promoter-dependent and locus-specific changes in gene expression during plant development. Genetics 169: 337–345. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Genome evolution in polyploids. Plant Molecular Biology 42: 225–249. .
- 2001. Analysis and expression of the α-expansin and β-expansin gene families in maize. Plant Physiology 126: 222–232. , , .
- 2000. Distribution of expansins in graviresponding maize roots. Plant and Cell Physiology 41: 1305–1312. , .
- 2008. The epigenetic landscape of plants. Science 320: 489–492. .
- 2011. Duplication and partitioning in evolution and function of homoeologous Q loci governing domestication characters in polyploid wheat. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 18737–18742. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Extensive and heritable epigenetic remodeling and genetic stability accompany allohexaploidization of wheat. Genetics 188: 499–509. , , , , , , , , , .