The development of a foliar fungal pathogen does react to leaf temperature!
Article first published online: 4 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 1, pages 232–240, April 2013
How to Cite
Bernard, F., Sache, I., Suffert, F. and Chelle, M. (2013), The development of a foliar fungal pathogen does react to leaf temperature!. New Phytologist, 198: 232–240. doi: 10.1111/nph.12134
- Issue published online: 25 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 4 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 31 OCT 2012
- ARVALIS – Institut du Végétal
- 2010. A comment on ‘Appropriate experimental ecosystem warming methods by ecosystem, objective, and practicality’ by Aronson and McNulty. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 150: 497–498. , , , .
- 2005. Simulation of potato late blight in the Andes. I: Modification and parameterization of the LATEBLIGHT model. Phytopathology 95: 1191–1199. , , , , .
- 2006. Estimating and comparing thermal performance curves. Journal of Thermal Biology 31: 541–545. .
- 2002. The evolution of thermal physiology in ectotherms. Journal of Thermal Biology 27: 249–268. , , .
- 2005. A foliar disease model for use in wheat disease management decision support systems. Annals of Applied Biology 147: 161–172. , , .
- 1926. Influence of temperature on biological processes. Nature 118: 117–118. .
- 2012. Effects of daily temperature highs on development of Phakopsora pachyrhizi on soybean. Phytopathology 102: 761–768. , , .
- 2004. Toward a metabolic theory of ecology. Ecology 85: 1771–1789. , , , , .
- 1998. An introduction to environmental biophysics, 2nd edn. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 2005. Phylloclimate or the climate perceived by individual plant organs: what is it? How to model it? What for? New Phytologist 166: 781–790. .
- 2001. Septoria tritici blotch development as affected by temperature, duration of leaf wetness, inoculum concentration, and host. Plant Disease 85: 430–435. , , .
- 2005. Modelling leaf wetness duration and downy mildew simulation on grapevine in Italy. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 132: 84–95. , , .
- 2012. Leaf temperatures in glasshouses and open-top chambers. New Phytologist 194: 1155–1164. , , .
- 2011. Systematic variation in the temperature dependence of physiological and ecological traits. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 10591–10596. , , .
- 2007. Microclimate and transpiration of a greenhouse banana crop. Biosystems Engineering 98: 66–78. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Host plant adaptation and the evolution of thermal reaction norms. Oecologia 169: 353–360. , .
- 2007. Correlative analysis of Mycosphaerella graminicola pathogenicity and cell wall-degrading enzymes produced in vitro: the importance of xylanase and polygalacturonase. Plant Pathology 56: 79–86. , , , , .
- 1992. Influence of temperature on in vitro growth of entomopathogenic hyphomycetes. Agronomie 12: 557–564. , , , .
- 1980. Biophysical ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1995. Specialists and generalists in changing environments − 1. Fitness landscapes of thermal sensitivity. American Naturalist 146: 252–270. .
- 2008. Subtropical to boreal convergence of tree-leaf temperatures. Nature 454: 511–514. , .
- 2010. Organismal climatology: analyzing environmental variability at scales relevant to physiological stress. Journal of Experimental Biology 213: 995–1003. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Effect of moisture and temperature on development of septoria tritici blotch in wheat. Phytopathology 77: 215–219. , .
- 1989. Evolution of thermal sensitivity of ectotherm performance. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 4: 131–135. , .
- 2011. Variation in universal temperature dependence of biological rates. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 10377–10378. , .
- 1979. Integrating thermal physiology and ecology of ectotherms − discussion of approaches. American Zoologist 19: 357–366. , .
- 1982. Plant growth curves the functional approach to plant growth analysis. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1981. Temperature tolerance and the final preferendum − rapid methods for the assessment of optimum growth temperatures. Journal of Fish Biology 19: 439–455. .
- 1980. Effect of low temperature on the latent period of slow and fast rusting water wheat Triticum aestivum genotypes. Plant Disease 64: 1006–1008. .
- 2012. Measurement and CFD simulation of microclimate characteristics and transpiration of an Impatiens pot plant crop in a greenhouse. Biosystems Engineering 112: 22–34. , , , .
- 2004. Plasticity of size and growth in fluctuating thermal environments: comparing reaction norms and performance curves. Integrative and Comparative Biology 44: 450–460. , , .
- 1983. Analysis of heat balance of leaf with reference to stomatal responses to environmental factors. Biotronics 12: 19–27. , , .
- 1995. Modélisation du microclimat végétal en relation avec l'épidémiologie. In: Savary S, ed. Modélisation en protection des cultures. Paris, France: ORSTOM, 73–80. .
- 1964. A note on a feature of leaf and air temperatures. Agricultural Meteorology 1: 66–72. .
- 1966. Resistances impeding the diffusion of water vapour from leaves and crops. PhD thesis, London University, London, UK. .
- 2004. Effect of temperature on latent period of septoria leaf blotch on winter wheat under outdoor conditions. Plant Pathology 53: 170–181. , , , , .
- 1992. Environmental influence on the infection of wheat by Mycosphaerella graminicola. Phytopathology 82: 1407–1413. , , , .
- 2009. Effects of temperature on events in the infection cycle of two clonal lineages of Phytophthora infestans causing late blight on tomato and potato in Brazil. Plant Disease 93: 459–466. , , .
- 2005. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the city: thermal reaction norms of chitinolytic fungi in an urban heat island. Journal of Thermal Biology 30: 384–391. , , .
- 2009. Evidence for increased aggressiveness in a recent widespread strain of Puccinia striiformis f. sp tritici causing stripe rust of wheat. Phytopathology 99: 89–94. , , .
- 1979. Modeling the complete crop canopy. In: Barfield BJ, Gerber JF, eds. Modification of the aerial environment of plants. St Joseph, MI, USA: American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 249–277. .
- 1994. Simulation of Septoria tritici–winter wheat interactions. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 11: 309–321. , , , .
- 2011. Pathogen dynamics in a crop canopy and their evolution under changing climate. Plant Pathology 60: 70–81. , , .
- 2011. Evaluation and comparison of effects of air and tomato leaf temperatures on the population dynamics of greenhouse whitefly (Trialeurodes vaporariorum) in cherry tomato grown in greenhouses. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology 29: 420–432. , , , .
- 2007. Regional climate modulates the canopy mosaic of favourable and risky microclimates for insects. Journal of Animal Ecology 76: 424–438. , , , .
- 2012. Climate uncertainty on leaf surfaces: the biophysics of leaf microclimates and their consequences for leaf-dwelling organisms. Functional Ecology 26: 844–853. , .
- 2009. Insect eggs protected from high temperatures by limited homeothermy of plant leaves. Journal of Experimental Biology 212: 3448–3454. , , .
- 1990. Spatial, temporal, and species-specific patterns of heterogeneity in growth chamber experiments. Canadian Journal of Botany 68: 499–504. , , , .
- R Development Core Team. 2010. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2008. Coupling a 3D virtual wheat (Triticum aestivum) plant model with a Septoria tritici epidemic model (Septo3D): a new approach to investigate plant–pathogen interactions linked to canopy architecture. Functional Plant Biology 35: 997–1013. , , , .
- 2011. Thermal performance curves, phenotypic plasticity, and the time scales of temperature exposure. Integrative and Comparative Biology 51: 691–702. , , .
- 1986. Effects of temperature and leaf wetness on Pyrenophora teres growing on barley cv. Sonja. Plant Pathology 35: 294–309. .
- 1990. Effects of temperature, leaf wetness and cultivar on the latent period of Mycosphaerella graminicola on winter wheat. Plant Pathology 39: 255–268. .
- 1978. Temperatures of desert plants − another perspective on adaptability of leaf size. Science 201: 614–616. .
- 2013. Assessment of quantitative traits of aggressiveness in Mycosphaerella graminicola on adult wheat plants. Plant Pathology, in press. , , .
- 1989. Factors affecting development of Septoria tritici in winter wheat and its effect on yield. Plant Pathology 38: 246–257. , , .
- 2011. Gas exchange and water relations of spring wheat under full-season infrared warming. Global Change Biology 17: 2113–2133. , , , .
- 2009. Analysis of temperature modulation of plant defense against biotrophic microbes. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 22: 498–506. , , , .
- 2001. Effect of microclimate on leaf temperature of two subalpine grassland plants in Tatachia area. Journal of the Experimental Forest of National Taiwan University 15: 95–107. , .
- 1932. The Gompertz curve as a growth curve. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 18: 1–8. .
- 1974. A decimal code for the growth stages of cereals. Weed Research 14: 415–421. , , .
- 2011. Thermal adaptation in the fungal pathogen Mycosphaerella graminicola. Molecular Ecology 20: 1689–1701. , .