Gene body methylation shows distinct patterns associated with different gene origins and duplication modes and has a heterogeneous relationship with gene expression in Oryza sativa (rice)
Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 1, pages 274–283, April 2013
How to Cite
Wang, Y., Wang, X., Lee, T.-H., Mansoor, S. and Paterson, A. H. (2013), Gene body methylation shows distinct patterns associated with different gene origins and duplication modes and has a heterogeneous relationship with gene expression in Oryza sativa (rice). New Phytologist, 198: 274–283. doi: 10.1111/nph.12137
- Issue online: 25 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 31 OCT 2012
- National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: DBI 0849896, MCB 0821096, MCB 1021718
- 2012. Age-associated DNA methylation in pediatric populations. Genome Research 22: 623–632. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Basic local alignment search tool. Journal of Molecular Biology 215: 403–410. , , , , .
- Arabidopsis Interactome Mapping Consortium. 2011. Evidence for network evolution in an Arabidopsis interactome map. Science 333: 601–607.
- 2011. Spontaneous epigenetic variation in the Arabidopsis thaliana methylome. Nature 480: 245–249. , , , , , , .
- 2011. DNA methylation patterns associate with genetic and gene expression variation in HapMap cell lines. Genome Biology 12: R10. , , , , , , , .
- 1980. DNA methylation and the frequency of CpG in animal DNA. Nucleic Acids Research 8: 1499–1504. .
- 2006. Nonrandom divergence of gene expression following gene and genome duplications in the flowering plant Arabidopsis thaliana. Genome Biology 7: R13. , , , , .
- 2009. Epigenetic regulation of stress responses in plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 133–139. , .
- 2007. Not born equal: increased rate asymmetry in relocated and retrotransposed rodent gene duplicates. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24: 679–686. , .
- 2012. Redundancy and rewiring of genetic networks following genome-wide duplication events. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 15: 168–176. , .
- 2010. Conservation and divergence of methylation patterning in plants and animals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 8689–8694. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The association of multiple interacting genes with specific phenotypes in rice using gene coexpression networks. Plant Physiology 154: 13–24. , , .
- 2009. Gene duplication and evolutionary novelty in plants. New Phytologist 183: 557–564. , .
- 2012. Population-specificity of human DNA methylation. Genome Biology 13: R8. , , , .
- 2009. Bias in plant gene content following different sorts of duplication: tandem, whole-genome, segmental, or by transposition. Annual Review of Plant Biology 60: 433–453. .
- 2008. Many or most genes in Arabidopsis transposed after the origin of the order Brassicales. Genome Research 18: 1924–1937. , , , , , .
- 2006. Gene-balanced duplications, like tetraploidy, provide predictable drive to increase morphological complexity. Genome Research 16: 805–814. , .
- 2007. Divergence in expression between duplicated genes in Arabidopsis. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24: 2298–2309. , , .
- 2009. Duplicate genes increase expression diversity in closely related species and allopolyploids. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 2295–2300. , , .
- 2010. Global epigenetic and transcriptional trends among two rice subspecies and their reciprocal hybrids. Plant Cell 22: 17–33. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Epigenetic inheritance in plants. Nature 447: 418–424. , .
- 2010. The evolution of gene duplications: classifying and distinguishing between models. Nature Reviews Genetics 11: 97–108. , .
- International Rice Genome Sequencing Project. 2005. The map-based sequence of the rice genome. Nature 436: 793–800.
- 2007. A genome-wide transcriptional activity survey of rice transposable element-related genes. Genome Biology 8: R28. , .
- 1987. Mismatch repair of deaminated 5-methyl-cytosine. Journal of Molecular Biology 194: 155–159. , , .
- 2009. Differential chromatin marking of introns and expressed exons by H3K36me3. Nature Genetics 41: 376–381. , , , , , .
- 2010. Conservation and divergence in eukaryotic DNA methylation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 9027–9028. , , .
- 1997. Molecular evolution. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. .
- 2008. High-resolution mapping of epigenetic modifications of the rice genome uncovers interplay between DNA methylation, histone methylation, and gene expression. Plant Cell 20: 259–276. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Expression pattern divergence of duplicated genes in rice. BMC Bioinformatics 10(Suppl 6): S8. , , , , , .
- 2004. Intragenic DNA methylation alters chromatin structure and elongation efficiency in mammalian cells. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 11: 1068–1075. , , , .
- 2010. Regulation of alternative splicing by histone modifications. Science 327: 996–1000. , , , , , .
- 2000. The evolutionary fate and consequences of duplicate genes. Science 290: 1151–1155. , .
- 2005. Modeling gene and genome duplications in eukaryotes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 5454–5459. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Conserved role of intragenic DNA methylation in regulating alternative promoters. Nature 466: 253–257. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Simple methods for estimating the numbers of synonymous and nonsynonymous nucleotide substitutions. Molecular Biology and Evolution 3: 418–426. , .
- 1970. Evolution by gene duplication. New York, NY, USA: Springer. .
- 2004. Ancient polyploidization predating divergence of the cereals, and its consequences for comparative genomics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 9903–9908. , , .
- 2006. Mutagenesis at methylated CpG sequences. DNA Methylation: Basic Mechanisms 301: 259–281. .
- 2012. The evolution of invertebrate gene body methylation. Molecular Biology and Evolution 29: 1907–1916. , , , .
- 2009. Chromatin organization marks exon–intron structure. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 16: 990–995. , , .
- 2011. Conservation and divergence of DNA methylation in eukaryotes: new insights from single base-resolution DNA methylomes. Epigenetics 6: 134–140. , , .
- 2012. Body-methylated genes in Arabidopsis thaliana are functionally important and evolve slowly. Molecular Biology and Evolution 29: 219–227. , .
- 2008a. Synteny and collinearity in plant genomes. Science 320: 486–488. , , , , , .
- 2010. Angiosperm genome comparisons reveal early polyploidy in the monocot lineage. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 472–477. , , , .
- 2008b. Unraveling ancient hexaploidy through multiply-aligned angiosperm gene maps. Genome Research 18: 1944–1954. , , , , , .
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Research 22: 4673–4680. , , .
- 2007. Outlier sums for differential gene expression analysis. Biostatistics 8: 2–8. , .
- 2012. Dynamic DNA cytosine methylation in the Populus trichocarpa genome: tissue-level variation and relationship to gene expression. BMC Genomics 13: 27. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Extensive concerted evolution of rice paralogs and the road to regaining independence. Genetics 177: 1753–1763. , , , , .
- 2012. Genome and gene duplications and gene expression divergence: a view from plants. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1256: 1–14. , , .
- 2011. Modes of gene duplication contribute differently to genetic novelty and redundancy, but show parallels across divergent angiosperms. PLoS ONE 6: e28150. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Transposed genes in Arabidopsis are often associated with flanking repeats. PLoS Genetics 6: e1000949. , , .
- 2011. Different gene families in Arabidopsis thaliana transposed in different epochs and at different frequencies throughout the rosids. Plant Cell 23: 4241–4253. , , .
- 2000. Estimating synonymous and nonsynonymous substitution rates under realistic evolutionary models. Molecular Biology and Evolution 17: 32–43. , .
- 2005. The institute for genomic research Osa1 rice genome annotation database. Plant Physiology 138: 18–26. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010a. Local DNA hypomethylation activates genes in rice endosperm. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 18729–18734. , , , , , , .
- 2010b. Genome-wide evolutionary analysis of eukaryotic DNA methylation. Science 328: 916–919. , , , .
- 2011. Tissue-specific differences in cytosine methylation and their association with differential gene expression in sorghum. Plant Physiology 156: 1955–1966. , , , .
- 2006. Genome-wide high-resolution mapping and functional analysis of DNA methylation in Arabidopsis. Cell 126: 1189–1201. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Dispersed repetitive DNA has spread to new genomes since polyploid formation in cotton. Genome Research 8: 479–492. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Genome-wide analysis of Arabidopsis thaliana DNA methylation uncovers an interdependence between methylation and transcription. Nature Genetics 39: 61–69. , , , , .