Responses of belowground carbon allocation dynamics to extended shading in mountain grassland
Article first published online: 6 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 1, pages 116–126, April 2013
How to Cite
Bahn, M., Lattanzi, F. A., Hasibeder, R., Wild, B., Koranda, M., Danese, V., Brüggemann, N., Schmitt, M., Siegwolf, R. and Richter, A. (2013), Responses of belowground carbon allocation dynamics to extended shading in mountain grassland. New Phytologist, 198: 116–126. doi: 10.1111/nph.12138
- Issue published online: 25 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 6 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 SEP 2012
- Austrian Science Fund. Grant Numbers: P18756-B16, P22214-B17
- Tiroler Wissenschaftsfonds. Grant Number: LA2390/1-1
- 2006. Root respiration in temperate mountain grasslands differing in land use. Global Change Biology 12: 995–1006. , , , , .
- 2010. Soil respiration at mean annual temperature predicts annual total across vegetation types and biomes. Biogeosciences 7: 2147–2157. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Does photosynthesis affect grassland soil-respired CO2 and its carbon isotope composition on a diurnal timescale? New Phytologist 182: 451–460. , , , , .
- 2012. Translocation and turnover of rhizodeposit carbon within soil microbial communities of an extensive grassland ecosystem. Plant and Soil. doi:10.1007/s11104-012-1343-z [Author, if possible, please update the doi with vol and page range]. , , , .
- 2011. The diel imprint of leaf metabolism on the δ13C signal of soil respiration under control and drought conditions. New Phytologist 192: 925–938. , , , , , .
- 2011. Rhizosphere priming of soil organic matter by bacterial groups in a grassland soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 43: 718–725. , , .
- 1985. Resource limitations in plants – an economic analogy. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16: 363–392. , , .
- 1998. Induction of a carbon-starvation-related proteolysis in whole maize plants submitted to light/dark cycles and to extended darkness. Plant Physiology 117: 1281–1291. , , .
- 2011. Carbon allocation and carbon isotope fluxes in the plant–soil–atmosphere continuum: a review. Biogeosciences 8: 3457–3489. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. The ecology and economics of storage in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 423–447. , , .
- 2011. Rapid transfer of photosynthetic carbon through the plant–soil system in differently managed species-rich grasslands. Biogeosciences 8: 1131–1139. , , , , .
- 2007. Community shifts and carbon translocation within metabolically-active rhizosphere microorganisms in grasslands under elevated CO2. Biogeosciences 4: 769–779. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Microbial community composition and rhizodeposit-carbon assimilation in differently managed temperate grassland soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 41: 144–153. , , , , .
- 1998. Priority for allocation of water-soluble carbohydrate reserves during regrowth of Lolium perenne. Grass and Forage Science 53: 211–218. , .
- 2010. Shifting carbon flow from roots into associated microbial communities in response to elevated atmospheric CO2. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 10938–10942. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Pulse-labelling trees to study carbon allocation dynamics: a review of methods, current knowledge and future prospects. Tree Physiology 32: 776–798. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Seasonal variations of belowground carbon transfer assessed by in situ 13CO2 pulse labelling of trees. Biogeosciences 8: 1153–1168. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The control of carbon acquisition by roots. New Phytologist 147: 43–53. , .
- 2009. Adjustment of growth, starch turnover, protein content and central metabolism to a decrease of the carbon supply when Arabidopsis is grown in very short photoperiods. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 859–874. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Short-term changes in carbon isotope composition of soluble carbohydrates and starch: from canopy leaves to the root system. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 20: 653–660. , , , , .
- 2011. Starch and the clock: the dark side of plant productivity. Trends in Plant Science 16: 169–175. , .
- 2006. Arbuscular mycorrhizal colonization on carbon economy in perennial ryegrass: quantification by 13CO2/12CO2 steady-state labelling and gas exchange. New Phytologist 172: 544–553. , , , , .
- 2010. Quantification of effects of season and nitrogen supply on tree belowground carbon transfer to ectomycorrhizal fungi and other soil organisms in boreal pine forest. New Phytologist 187: 485–493. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. High temporal resolution tracing of photosynthate carbon from the tree canopy to forest soil microorganisms. New Phytologist 177: 220–228. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Carbon flow into soil and external hyphae from roots of mycorrhizal cucumber plants. New Phytologist 115: 77–83. , .
- 2002. In situ 13CO2 pulse-labelling of upland grassland demonstrates a rapid pathway of carbon flux from arbuscular mycorrhizal mycelia to the soil. New Phytologist 153: 327–334. , , , , .
- 2009. Carbon flow in the rhizosphere: carbon trading at the soil–root interface. Plant and Soil 321: 5–33. , , .
- 2010a. Negligible contribution from roots to soil-borne phospholipid fatty acid fungal biomarkers 18:2ω6,9 and 18:1ω9. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 42: 1650–1652. , , , , .
- 2010b. Belowground carbon allocation by trees drives seasonal patterns of extracellular enzyme activities by altering microbial community composition in a beech forest soil. New Phytologist 187: 843–858. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Are the rates of photosynthesis stimulated by the carbon sink strength of rhizobial and arbuscular mycorrhizal symbioses? Soil Biology and Biochemistry 41: 1233–1244. , , , , .
- 2010. Optimal partitioning theory revisited: nonstructural carbohydrates dominate root mass responses to nitrogen. Ecology 91: 166–179. , , .
- 2011. Microbial processes and community composition in the rhizosphere of European beech – the influence of plant C exudates. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 43: 551–558. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Plant physiological ecology. New York, USA: Springer. , , .
- 2003. Physiological plant ecology, 4th edn. Berlin, Germany: Springer. .
- 2006. Carbon fluxes from plants through soil organisms determined by field 13CO2 pulse-labelling in an upland grassland. Applied Soil Ecology 33: 152–175. , , , .
- 2010. Day-length effects on carbon stores for respiration of perennial ryegrass. New Phytologist 188: 719–725. , , , , .
- 2008. Root and shoot respiration of perennial ryegrass are supplied by the same substrate pools: assessment by dynamic 13C labeling and compartmental analysis of tracer kinetics. Plant Physiology 148: 1148–1158. , , , , .
- 2011. Symbiont identity matters: carbon and phosphorus fluxes between Medicago truncatula and different arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Mycorrhiza 21: 689–702. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Carbon allocation in forest ecosystems. Global Change Biology 13: 2089–2109. , , .
- 2012. Environmental and stoichiometric controls on microbial carbon-use efficiency in soils. New Phytologist 196: 79–91. , , , , .
- 2001. Night-time respiration rate and leaf carbohydrate concentrations are not coupled in two alpine perennial species. New Phytologist 149: 419–430. , .
- 2005. Tracking carbon from the atmosphere to the rhizosphere. Ecology Letters 8: 1264–1270. , .
- 2000. Carbon assimilation and turnover in grassland vegetation using an in situ 13CO2 pulse labelling system. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 14: 1345–1350. , , , .
- 2009. Through the eye of the needle: a review of isotope approaches to quantify microbial processes mediating soil carbon balance. New Phytologist 184: 19–33. , , .
- 2012. Biomass allocation to leaves, stems and roots: meta-analyses of interspecific variation and environmental control. New Phytologist 193: 30–50. , , , , , .
- 2009. Preparation of starch and soluble sugars of plant material for the analysis of carbon isotope composition: a comparison of methods. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23: 2476–2488. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1981. Respiratory efflux of carbon-dioxide from mature and meristematic tissue of Uniculm barley during 80 hours of continuous darkness. Annals of Botany 48: 727–731. , .
- 2009. Drought effects on allocation of recent carbon: from beech leaves to soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist 184: 950–961. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Carbon dynamics in trees: feast or famine? Tree Physiology 32: 764–775. , , .
- 2010. Land use affects the net ecosystem CO2 exchange and its components in mountain grasslands. Biogeosciences 7: 2297–2309. , , , , .
- 2007. Coordination of carbon supply and plant growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 1126–1149. , .
- 2004. Identification of groups of metabolically-active rhizosphere microorganisms by stable isotope probing of PLFAs. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 36: 533–537. , , , , , .
- 2011. Diel variations in the carbon isotope composition of respired CO2 and associated carbon sources: a review of dynamics and mechanisms. Biogeosciences 8: 2437–2459. , .
- 2010. Contribution of carbon fixed by Rubisco and PEPC to phloem export in the Crassulacean acid metabolism plant Kalanchoe daigremontiana. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 1375–1383. , , , .
- 2012. A re-evaluation of carbon storage in trees lends greater support for carbon limitation to growth. New Phytologist 195: 285–289. , .
- 1998. Mycorrhizal sink strength influences whole plant carbon balance of Trifolium repens L. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 881–891. , , .
- 2007. The diurnal metabolism of leaf starch. Biochemical Journal 401: 13–28. , , .