These authors contributed equally to this work.
Regulation of flavonoid biosynthesis involves an unexpected complex transcriptional regulation of TT8 expression, in Arabidopsis
Article first published online: 12 FEB 2013
© INRA. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 1, pages 59–70, April 2013
How to Cite
Xu, W., Grain, D., Le Gourrierec, J., Harscoët, E., Berger, A., Jauvion, V., Scagnelli, A., Berger, N., Bidzinski, P., Kelemen, Z., Salsac, F., Baudry, A., Routaboul, J.-M., Lepiniec, L. and Dubos, C. (2013), Regulation of flavonoid biosynthesis involves an unexpected complex transcriptional regulation of TT8 expression, in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 198: 59–70. doi: 10.1111/nph.12142
- Issue published online: 25 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 12 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 12 SEP 2012
- FLAVO. Grant Number: CT-2004-513960
- China Scholarship Council
- 2011. Members of an R2R3-MYB transcription factor family in petunia are developmentally and environmentally regulated to control complex floral and vegetative pigmentation patterning. Plant Journal 65: 771–784. , , , , , .
- 2010. Weird fingers: functional analysis of WIP domain proteins. FEBS letters 584: 3116–3122. , , , , , .
- 2011a. Leucoanthocyanidin dioxygenase in Arabidopsis thaliana: characterization of mutant alleles and regulation by MYB–BHLH–TTG1 transcription factor complexes. Gene 484: 61–68. , , , , , .
- 2011b. TRANSPARENT TESTA1 interacts with R2R3-MYB factors and affects early and late steps of flavonoid biosynthesis in the endothelium of Arabidopsis thaliana seeds. Plant Journal 67: 406–419. , , , , , .
- 2003. Multifunctional acetyl-CoA carboxylase 1 is essential for very long chain fatty acid elongation and embryo development in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 33: 75–86. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. TT8 controls its own expression in a feedback regulation involving TTG1 and homologous MYB and bHLH factors, allowing a strong and cell-specific accumulation of flavonoids in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 46: 768–779. , , .
- 2004. TT2, TT8, and TTG1 synergistically specify the expression of BANYULS and proanthocyanidin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 39: 366–380. , , , , , .
- 2011. Transcriptional regulation of Arabidopsis LEAFY COTYLEDON2 involves RLE, a cis-element that regulates trimethylation of histone H3 at lysine-27. Plant Cell 23: 4065–4078. , , , , .
- 2005. The bHLH genes GL3 and EGL3 participate in an intercellular regulatory circuit that controls cell patterning in the Arabidopsis root epidermis. Development 132: 291–298. , , , , .
- 2011. Using a structural and logics systems approach to infer bHLH-DNA binding specificity determinants. Nucleic Acids Research 39: 4553–4563. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Proanthocyanidin-accumulating cells in Arabidopsis testa: regulation of differentiation and role in seed development. Plant Cell 15: 2514–2531. , , , , , , .
- 2008. MYBL2 is a new regulator of flavonoid biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 55: 940–953. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. MYB transcription factors in Arabidopsis. Trends in Plant Science 15: 573–581. , , , , , .
- 2011. Evolutionary and comparative analysis of MYB and bHLH plant transcription factors. Plant Journal 66: 94–116. , , , .
- 2009. The endogenous GL3, but not EGL3, gene is necessary for anthocyanin accumulation as induced by nitrogen depletion in Arabidopsis rosette stage leaves. Planta 230: 747–754. , , , , .
- 2011. Functional characterization of TRICHOMELESS2, a new single-repeat R3 MYB transcription factor in the regulation of trichome patterning in Arabidopsis. BMC Plant Biology 11: 176. , , , .
- 2005. Maternal control of integument cell elongation and zygotic control of endosperm growth are coordinated to determine seed size in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 17: 52–60. , , .
- 2009. TTG1 complex MYBs, MYB5 and TT2, control outer seed coat differentiation. Developmental Biology 325: 412–421. , , , .
- 2008. Regulation of the anthocyanin biosynthetic pathway by the TTG1/bHLH/Myb transcriptional complex in Arabidopsis seedlings. Plant Journal 53: 814–827. , , , .
- 1994. The myb-homologous P gene controls phlobaphene pigmentation in maize floral organs by directly activating a flavonoid biosynthetic gene subset. Cell 76: 543–553. , , , .
- 2009. A multiparameter network reveals extensive divergence between C. elegans bHLH transcription factors. Cell 138: 314–327. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Transcription factor WRKY23 assists auxin distribution patterns during Arabidopsis root development through local control on flavonol biosynthesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: 1554–1559. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. The basic helix–loop–helix transcription factor family in plants: a genome-wide study of protein structure and functional diversity. Molecular Biology and Evolution 20: 735–747. , , , , , .
- 2004. Different mechanisms participate in the R-dependent activity of the R2R3 MYB transcription factor C1. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 48205–48213. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Plant cis-acting regulatory DNA elements (PLACE) database: 1999. Nucleic Acids Research 27: 297–300. , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis TRANSPARENT TESTA GLABRA2 is directly regulated by R2R3 MYB transcription factors and is involved in regulation of GLABRA2 transcription in epidermal differentiation. Plant Cell 19: 2531–2543. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. GUS fusions: beta-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. EMBO Journal 6: 3901–3907. , , .
- 2002. TRANSPARENT TESTA GLABRA2, a trichome and seed coat development gene of Arabidopsis, encodes a WRKY transcription factor. Plant Cell 14: 1359–1375. , , .
- 2009. The MYB23 gene provides a positive feedback loop for cell fate specification in the Arabidopsis root epidermis. Plant Cell 21: 1080–1094. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Flavonoids: a colorful model for the regulation and evolution of biochemical pathways. Trends in Plant Science 10: 236–242. , , .
- 2005. Regulation of CAPRICE transcription by MYB proteins for root epidermis differentiation in Arabidopsis. Plant & Cell Physiology 46: 817–826. , , , , , .
- 2007. Nitrogen deficiency enhances expression of specific MYB and bHLH transcription factors and accumulation of end products in the flavonoid pathway. Planta 225: 1245–1253. , , , .
- 2006. Genetics and biochemistry of seed flavonoids. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 405–430. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Functional specialization of the TRANSPARENT TESTA GLABRA1 network allows differential hormonal control of laminal and marginal trichome initiation in Arabidopsis rosette leaves. Plant Physiology 148: 1453–1464. , , .
- 2009. A systems approach reveals regulatory circuitry for Arabidopsis trichome initiation by the GL3 and GL1 selectors. PLoS Genetics 5: e1000396. , .
- 2007. Development of series of gateway binary vectors, pGWBs, for realizing efficient construction of fusion genes for plant transformation. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering 104: 34–41. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The TT8 gene encodes a basic helix–loop–helix domain protein required for expression of DFR and BAN genes in Arabidopsis siliques. Plant Cell 12: 1863–1878. , , , , , .
- 2002. The TRANSPARENT TESTA16 locus encodes the ARABIDOPSIS BSISTER MADS domain protein and is required for proper development and pigmentation of the seed coat. Plant Cell 14: 2463–2479. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The Arabidopsis TT2 gene encodes an R2R3 MYB domain protein that acts as a key determinant for proanthocyanidin accumulation in developing seed. Plant Cell 13: 2099–2114. , , , , .
- 2009. Temperature and nitrogen effects on regulators and products of the flavonoid pathway: experimental and kinetic model studies. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 286–299. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Characterisation of Pt MYB1, an R2R3-MYB from pine xylem. Plant Molecular Biology 53: 597–608. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Recent advances on the regulation of anthocyanin synthesis in reproductive organs. Plant Science: An International Journal of Experimental Plant Biology 181: 219–229. , .
- 2012. The interaction between MYB proteins and their target DNA binding sites. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1819: 67–77. , .
- 1991. C1- and R-dependent expression of the maize Bz1 gene requires sequences with homology to mammalian myb and myc binding sites. Plant Cell 3: 317–325. , , , .
- 2009. Environmental regulation of leaf colour in red 35S:PAP1 Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 182: 102–115. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. The WEREWOLF MYB protein directly regulates CAPRICE transcription during cell fate specification in the Arabidopsis root epidermis. Development 132: 4765–4775. , , , , , .
- 2002. A. thaliana TRANSPARENT TESTA 1 is involved in seed coat development and defines the WIP subfamily of plant zinc finger proteins. Genes & Development 16: 138–149. , , , .
- 2009. The gene regulatory network for root epidermal cell-type pattern formation in Arabidopsis. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 1515–1521. , , , , .
- 2011. Cell fate in the Arabidopsis root epidermis is determined by competition between WEREWOLF and CAPRICE. Plant Physiology 157: 1196–1208. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. A new system for fast and quantitative analysis of heterologous gene expression in plants. New Phytologist 193: 504–512. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The Arabidopsis basic/helix–loop–helix transcription factor family. Plant Cell 15: 1749–1770. , , .
- 2008. Comprehensive analysis of single-repeat R3 MYB proteins in epidermal cell patterning and their transcriptional regulation in Arabidopsis. BMC Plant Biology 8: 81. , , , , , .
- 1992. Extension of the DNA binding consensus of the chicken c-Myb and v-Myb proteins. Nucleic Acids Research 20: 3043–3049. .
- 2003. A network of redundant bHLH proteins functions in all TTG1-dependent pathways of Arabidopsis. Development 130: 4859–4869. , , , , .
- 2008. The TTG1–bHLH–MYB complex controls trichome cell fate and patterning through direct targeting of regulatory loci. Development 135: 1991–1999. , , , , .
- 2009. CPC, a single-repeat R3 MYB, is a negative regulator of anthocyanin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant 2: 790–802. , , , .