Rubisco is a small fraction of total protein in marine phytoplankton
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 1, pages 52–58, April 2013
How to Cite
Losh, J. L., Young, J. N. and Morel, F. M. M. (2013), Rubisco is a small fraction of total protein in marine phytoplankton. New Phytologist, 198: 52–58. doi: 10.1111/nph.12143
- Issue published online: 25 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 18 OCT 2012
- National Science Foundation and the Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- 1998. The diversity and coevolution of Rubisco, plastids, pyrenoids, and chloroplast-based CO2-concentrating mechanisms in algae. Canadian Journal of Botany 76: 1052–1071. , , , , , , .
- 1975. Structure of form in crystals of D-ribulose-1,5-diphosphate carboxylase. Journal of Molecular Biology 91: 391. , , , .
- 2009. Rapid and precise delta 13C measurement of dissolved inorganic carbon in natural waters using liquid chromatography coupled to an isotope-ratio mass spectrometer. Limnology and Oceanography, Methods 7: 730–739. .
- 2008. Flux capacities and acclimation costs in Trichodesmium from the Gulf of Mexico. Marine Biology 154: 413–422. , , , , .
- 2003. Analysing photosynthetic complexes in uncharacterized species or mixed microalgal communities using global antibodies. Physiologia Plantarum 119: 322–327. , , .
- 1988. Effects of CO2 concentration on Rubisco activity, amount, and photosynthesis in soybean leaves. Plant Physiology 88: 1310–1316. , , .
- Dickson AG, Goyet C, eds. 1994. DOE handbook of methods for the analysis of the various parameters of the carbon dioxide system in sea water. Version 2 edn. ORNL/CDIAC-74.
- 1957. The proteins of green leaves.7. Synthesis and decay of the cytoplasmic proteins during the life of the tobacco leaf. Journal of Biological Chemistry 229: 945–952. , , .
- 1979. Most abundant protein in the world. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 4: 241–244. .
- 1989. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia 78: 9–19. .
- 2007. Aquatic photosynthesis. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. , .
- 1989. Nitrogen limitation in Isochrysis galbana (Haptophyceae). II. Relative abundance of chloroplast proteins. Journal of Phycology 25: 471–478. , , .
- 1971. One-step method for isolation and determination of leaf ribulose-1,5-diphosphate carboxylase. Analytical Biochemistry 41: 57–66. , .
- 2011. Efficiency of the CO2-concentrating mechanism of diatoms. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 3830–3837. , , , .
- 2002. Growth, photosynthetic properties and Rubisco activities and amounts of marine macroalgae grown under current and elevated seawater CO2 concentrations. Global Change Biology 8: 831–840. , .
- 1981. Photosynthesis in polyploid tall fescue.2. Photosynthesis and ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase of polyploid tall fescue. Plant Physiology 68: 894–898. , , .
- 2011. A revised mineral nutrient supplement increases biomass and growth rate in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Plant Journal 66: 770–780. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A model for carbohydrate metabolism in the diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum deduced from comparative whole genome analysis. PLoS ONE 3: e1426. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Combined effects of CO2 and light on the N2-fixing cyanobacterium Trichodesmium IMS101: a mechanistic view. Plant Physiology 154: 346–356. , , , , , .
- 2012. Modest increase in the C:N ratio of N-limited phytoplankton in the California Current in response to high CO2. Marine Ecology Progress Series 468: 31–42. , , .
- 2000. Ocean pCO2 calculated from dissolved inorganic carbon, alkalinity, and equations for K-1 and K-2: validation based on laboratory measurements of CO2 in gas and seawater at equilibrium. Marine Chemistry 70: 105–119. , , .
- 1996. Regulation of Rubisco activity and its potential effect on photosynthesis during mixing in a turbid estuary. Marine Ecology Progress Series 144: 247–264. , .
- 1992. Distinctive responses of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase and carbonic-anhydrase in wheat leaves to nitrogen nutrition and their possible relationships to CO2-transfer resistance. Plant Physiology 100: 1737–1743. , , , , , .
- 2012. Elevated carbon dioxide differentially alters the photophysiology of Thalassiosira pseudonana (Bacillariophyceae) and Emiliania huxleyi (Haptophyta). Journal of Phycology 48: 635–646. , , , .
- 1992. Rubisco quantitation in leaves of different barley varieties by enzyme-linked-immunosorbent-assay. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 155–158. , .
- 1987. Structural and functional relatedness of chromophyte and rhodophyte RuBP carboxylase enzymes. In: Biggins J, ed. Progress in photosynthesis researchVol. IV. Nijhoff, Dordrecht: Springer, 671–674. , .
- 1984. A manual of chemical and biological methods for seawater analysis. Oxford, UK: Pergamon Press. , , .
- 1981. Light limitation of photosynthesis and activation of ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase in wheat seedlings. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 78: 2985–2989. , , .
- 1986. An upper limit to the active-site concentration of ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase in chloroplasts. Biochemical Journal 236: 311. .
- 1991. Physiology of inorganic C acquisition and implications for resource use efficiency by marine-phytoplankton – relation to increased CO2 and temperature. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 779–794. .
- 1996. Sink strength may be the key to growth and nitrogen responses in N-deficient wheat at elevated CO2. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 23: 253–264. , , , .
- 2003. Carbon acquisition of bloom-forming marine phytoplankton. Limnology and Oceanography 48: 55–67. , , , .
- 1991. Acclimation of rice to changing atmospheric carbon-dioxide concentration. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 577–583. , , , .
- 2012. NIH Image to ImageJ: 25 years of image analysis. Nature 9: 671–675. , , .
- 1982. Interspecific differences in the kinetic properties of RuBPCase protein. Carnegie Institute of Washington Yearbook 81: 78–83. , .
- 1984. Partitioning of nitrogen among ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase oxygenase, phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase, and pyruvate ortho-phosphate dikinase as related to biomass productivity in maize seedlings. Plant Physiology 75: 665–669. , , .
- 2005. Trace metal ion buffers and their use in culture studies. In: Andersen RA, ed. Algal culturing techniques. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier Academic Press, 35–63. , , .
- 2006. Despite slow catalysis and confused substrate specificity, all ribulose bisphosphate carboxylases may be nearly perfectly optimized. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 7246–7251. , , .
- 2008. Inorganic carbon uptake by southern ocean phytoplankton RID A-1216-2011. Limnology and Oceanography 53: 1266–1278. , , , , , .
- 2000. Inorganic carbon acquisition in coastal Pacific phytoplankton communities. Limnology and Oceanography 45: 1485–1500. , , .
- 2011. Distinctive photosystem II photoinactivation and protein dynamics in marine diatoms. Plant Physiology 156: 2184–2195. , , , .
- 2010. CO2-induced seawater acidification affects physiological performance of the marine diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. Biogeosciences 7: 2915–2923. , , .
- 2006. A novel alkaline phosphatase in the coccolithophore Emiliana huxleyi (Prymnesiophyceae) and its regulation by phosphorus. Journal of Phycology 42: 835–844. , , , , .
- 1985. Ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase content determined with [14C]carboxypentitol bisphosphate in plants and algae. Plant Physiology 77: 735–739. , .