UDP-glucosyltransferase UGT84A2/BRT1 is required for Arabidopsis nonhost resistance to the Asian soybean rust pathogen Phakopsora pachyrhizi
Article first published online: 29 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 2, pages 536–545, April 2013
How to Cite
Langenbach, C., Campe, R., Schaffrath, U., Goellner, K. and Conrath, U. (2013), UDP-glucosyltransferase UGT84A2/BRT1 is required for Arabidopsis nonhost resistance to the Asian soybean rust pathogen Phakopsora pachyrhizi. New Phytologist, 198: 536–545. doi: 10.1111/nph.12155
- Issue published online: 20 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 29 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 8 OCT 2012
- Excellence Initiative of the German Federal and State Governments
- BASF Plant Science Company GmbH
- 2004. The PEN1 syntaxin defines a novel cellular compartment upon fungal attack and is required for the timely assembly of papillae. Molecular Biology of the Cell 15: 5118–5129. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Resistance to Fusarium head blight and deoxynivalenol accumulation in wheat. Plant Breeding 120: 1–6. , , , , .
- 2009. A glucosinolate metabolism pathway in living plant cells mediates broad-spectrum antifungal defense. Science 323: 101–106. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Recruitment and interaction dynamics of plant penetration resistance components in a plasma membrane microdomain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 3135–3140. , , , , .
- 2004. A putative polyketide synthase/peptide synthetase from Magnaporthe grisea signals pathogen attack to resistant rice. Plant Cell 16: 2499–2513. , , .
- 1992. An Arabidopsis mutant defective in the general phenylpropanoid pathway. Plant Cell 4: 1413–1424. , , , .
- 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate–phenol–chloroform extraction. Analytical Biochemistry 162: 156–159. , .
- 2009. Glucosinolate metabolites required for an Arabidopsis innate immune response. Science 323: 95–101. , , , , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2003. SNARE-protein-mediated disease resistance at the plant cell wall. Nature 425: 973–977. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Reduced virulence of trichothecene antibiotic-nonproducing mutants of Gibberella zeae in wheat field tests. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 9: 775–781. , , , , , , .
- 1991. A simple and rapid method for the preparation of plant genomic DNA for PCR analysis. Nucleic Acids Research 19: 1349. , , .
- 1998. Two tobacco genes induced by infection, elicitor and salicylic acid encode glucosyltransferases acting on phenylpropanoids and benzoic acid derivatives, including salicylic acid. FEBS Letters 437: 319–323. , , , , , .
- 2011. The phenylpropanoid pathway in Arabidopsis. The Arabidopsis Book 9: e0152. , .
- 2007. Related Arabidopsis serine carboxypeptidase-like sinapoylglucose acyltransferases display distinct but overlapping substrate specificities. Plant Physiology 144: 1986–1999. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Over-expression of a scopoletin glucosyltransferase in Nicotiana tabacum leads to precocious lesion formation during the hypersensitive response to tobacco mosaic virus but does not affect virus resistance. Plant Molecular Biology 54: 137–146. , , .
- 2006. FiRe and microarrays: a fast answer to burning questions. Trends in Plant Science 11: 320–322. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Pathogen profile: Phakopsora pachyrhizi, the causal agent of Asian soybean rust. Molecular Plant Pathology 11: 169–177. , , , , , .
- 2001. Accumulation of soluble and wall-bound indolic metabolites in Arabidopsis thaliana leaves infected with virulent or avirulent Pseudomonas syringae pathovar tomato strains. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 753–758. , , , .
- 1989. Physiology and molecular biology of phenylpropanoid metabolism. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 347–369. , .
- 2000. Nonhost resistance and nonspecific plant defenses. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 3: 315–319. .
- 2003. The Arabidopsis ref2 mutant is defective in the gene encoding CYP83A1 and shows both phenylpropanoid and glucosinolate phenotypes. Plant Cell 15: 179–194. , , .
- 1996. Identification of an immediate-early salicylic acid-inducible tobacco gene and characterization of induction by other compounds. Plant Molecular Biology 31: 1061–1071. , .
- 2005. Pathogen-responsive expression of glycosyltransferase genes UGT73B3 and UGT73B5 is necessary for resistance to Pseudomonas syringae pv tomato. Plant Physiology 139: 1890–1901. , , .
- 2000. Cloning of the SNG1 gene of Arabidopsis reveals a role for a serine carboxypeptidase-like protein as an acyltransferase in secondary metabolism. Plant Cell 12: 1295–1306. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The ability to detoxify the mycotoxin deoxynivalenol colocalizes with a major quantitative trait locus for Fusarium head blight resistance in wheat. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 18: 1318–1324. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Identification of glucosyltransferase genes involved in sinapate metabolism and lignin synthesis in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276: 4344–4349. , , , , , .
- 2008. Arabidopsis non-host resistance to powdery mildews. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 404–411. , , .
- 2005. Pre- and postinvasion defenses both contribute to nonhost resistance in Arabidopsis. Science 310: 1180–1183. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2008. Characterization of nonhost resistance of Arabidopsis to the Asian soybean rust. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 21: 1421–1430. , , , , .
- 2004. Ectopic expression of a UDP-glucose: phenylpropanoid glucosyltransferase leads to increased resistance of transgenic tobacco plants against infection with potato virus Y. Plant and Cell Physiology 45: 1185–1193. , .
- 2002. Induction of glucosyltransferase transcription and activity during superoxide-dependent cell death in Arabidopsis plants. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 40: 133–140. , .
- 2003. An investigation into the involvement of defense signaling pathways in components of the nonhost resistance of Arabidopsis thaliana to rust fungi also reveals a model system for studying rust fungal compatibility. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 16: 398–404. , .
- 2008. The role of UDP-glucose:hydroxycinnamate glucosyltransferases in phenylpropanoid metabolism and the response to UV-B radiation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta 228: 663–674. , , , , .
- 2003. Arabidopsis glucosyltransferases with activities toward both endogenous and xenobiotic substrates. Planta 217: 138–146. , , .
- 2000. Identification of four Arabidopsis genes encoding hydroxycinnamate glucosyltransferases. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung 47c: 183–184. , , .
- 1993. Energetics of the uridine 5'-diphosphoglucose:hydroxycinnamic acid acyl-glucosyltransferase reaction. Phytochemistry 32: 575–579. , .
- 2011. Non-host resistance to penetration and hyphal growth of Magnaporthe oryzae in Arabidopsis. Scientific Reports 1: 171. , , , , .
- 2003. Loss of a callose synthase results in salicylic acid-dependent disease resistance. Science 301: 969–972. , , , , , .
- 1998. A novel tomato gene that rapidly responds to wound- and pathogen-related signals. Plant Journal 14: 137–142. , , , , , .
- 1991. A MYB gene required for leaf trichome differentiation in Arabidopsis is expressed in stipules. Cell 67: 483–493. , , , , .
- 2003. Detoxification of the Fusarium mycotoxin deoxynivalenol by a UDP-glucosyltransferase from Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 47905–47914. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Mutations that reduce sinapoylmalate accumulation in Arabidopsis thaliana define loci with diverse roles in phenylpropanoid metabolism. Genetics 159: 1741–1749. , .
- 1999. Regulation of ferulate-5-hydroxylase expression in Arabidopsis in the context of sinapate ester biosynthesis. Plant Physiology 119: 101–110. , , , .
- 2007. Identification of loci controlling non-host disease resistance in Arabidopsis against the leaf rust pathogen Puccinia triticina. Molecular Plant Pathology 8: 773–784. , , , .
- 2001. The sng2 mutant of Arabidopsis is defective in the gene encoding the serine carboxypeptidase-like protein sinapoylglucose:choline sinapoyltransferase. Plant Journal 28: 83–94. , , .
- 2007. The hyper-fluorescent trichome phenotype of the brt1 mutant of Arabidopsis is the result of a defect in a sinapic acid:UDPG glucosyltransferase. Plant Journal 49: 655–668. , , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis PEN3/PDR8, an ATP binding cassette transporter, contributes to nonhost resistance to inappropriate pathogens that enter by direct penetration. The Plant Cell 18: 731–746. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Agriculture. Plant pathologists gear up for battle with dread fungus. Science 306: 1672–1673. .
- 1980. Enzymatic synthesis of 1-sinapoylglucose from free sinapic acid and UDP-glucose by a cell-free system from Raphanus sativus seedlings. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung 35C: 204–208. .
- 1982. Development of I-O-sinapoyl-P-D-glucose:r-malate sinapoyltransferase activity in cotyledons of red radish (Raphanus sativus L. var. sativus). Planta 155: 31–36. .
- 1983. Enzymatic synthesis of sinapine from 1-O-sinapoyl-P-D-glucose and choline by a cell-free system from developing seeds of red radish (Raphanus sativus L. var. sativus). Zeitschrift für Naturforschung 38c: 21–27. .
- 2008. Eleven golden rules of quantitative RT-PCR. Plant Cell 20: 1736–1737. , , .
- 2011. Identification and utilization of a sow thistle powdery mildew as a poorly adapted pathogen to dissect post-invasion non-host resistance mechanisms in Arabidopsis. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 2117–2129. , , , , , , , .