Spectroscopic sensitivity of real-time, rapidly induced phytochemical change in response to damage
Article first published online: 5 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 1, pages 311–319, April 2013
How to Cite
Couture, J. J., Serbin, S. P. and Townsend, P. A. (2013), Spectroscopic sensitivity of real-time, rapidly induced phytochemical change in response to damage. New Phytologist, 198: 311–319. doi: 10.1111/nph.12159
- Issue published online: 25 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 5 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 SEP 2012
- NASA. Grant Number: NNX10AJ94G
- Graduate School and College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity in the interactions and evolution of species. Science 294: 321–326. .
- 2004. Plant defense and density dependence in the population growth of herbivores. American Naturalist 164: 113–120. .
- 2005. Natural selection on a common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) by a community of specialized insect herbivores. Evolutionary Ecology Research 7: 651–667. .
- 2006. Plant defense syndromes. Ecology 87: S132–S149. , .
- 2012b. Attenuation of the jasmonate burst, plant defensive traits, and resistance to specialist monarch caterpillars on shaded common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca). Journal of Chemical Ecology 38: 839–901. , , , .
- 2012a. Toxic cardenolides: chemical ecology and coevolution of specialized plant–herbivore interactions. New Phytologist 194: 28–45. , , , , .
- 2008. Spectral and chemical analysis of tropical forests: scaling from leaf to canopy levels. Remote Sensing of Environment 112: 3958–3970. , .
- 2011. Spectroscopy of canopy chemicals in humid tropical forests. Remote Sensing of Environment 115: 3587–3598. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Comparative analysis of three chemometric techniques for the spectroradiometric assessment of canopy chlorophyll content in winter wheat. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 73: 165–173. , , , .
- 1989. Light-induced spectral absorbance changes in relation to photosynthesis and the epoxidation state of xanthophyll cycle components in cotton leaves. Plant Physiology 91: 542–551. , , .
- 2010. Specificity and trade-offs in the induced plant defence of common milkweed Asclepias syriaca to two lepidopteran herbivores. Journal of Ecology 98: 1014–1022. , .
- 1996. Determination of carbon fraction and nitrogen concentration in tree foliage by near infrared reflectance: a comparison of statistical methods. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 26: 590–600. , , .
- 1972. Variation in cardiac glycoside content of monarch butterflies from natural populations in eastern North America. Science 177: 426–429. , , , .
- 2004. Spare modeling using orthogonal forest regression with PRESS statistic and regularization. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics 34: 898–911. , , , .
- 2005. Performance of some variable selection methods when multicollinearity is present. Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems 78: 103–112. , .
- 1987. Vein-cutting behavior: insect counterploy to the latex defense of plants. Science 237: 898–901. , .
- 1995. Tasty generalists and nasty specialists? Antipredator mechanisms in tropical lepidopteran larvae. Ecology 76: 1483–1496. .
- 2002. Spectrometric prediction of secondary metabolites and nitrogen in fresh Eucalyptus foliage: towards remote sensing of the nutritional quality of foliage for leaf-eating marsupials. Australian Journal of Botany 50: 761–768. , , , , .
- 1998. Ecological applications of near infrared reflectance spectroscopy – a tool for rapid, cost-effective prediction of the composition of plant and animal tissues and animal performance. Oecologia 116: 293–305. , , , , , .
- 1997. The photochemical reflectance index: an optical indicator of photosynthetic radiation use efficiency across species, functional types, and nutrient levels. Oecologia 112: 492–501. , , .
- 1999. Assessing leaf pigment content and activity with a reflectometer. New Phytologist 143: 105–117. , .
- 1996. NDWI–a normalized difference water index for remote sensing of vegetation liquid water from space. Remote Sensing of Environment 58: 257–266. .
- 1999. Using near-infrared spectroscopy to predict carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus content in heterogeneous plant material. Oecologia 118: 173–182. , , .
- 1996. Critique of stepwise multiple linear regression for the extraction of leaf biochemistry information from leaf reflectance data. Remote Sensing of Environment 56: 182–193. , , , , , .
- 2005. Predicting species distribution: offering more than simple habitat models. Ecology Letters 8: 993–1009. , .
- 1992. The dilemma of plant: to grow or defend. The Quarterly Review of Biology 67: 283–335. , .
- 1997. Induced responses to herbivory. Chicago, IL, USA: The University Press. , .
- 2002. Plant responses to insect herbivory: the emerging molecular analysis. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 299–328. , .
- 2009. Prediction of δ13C and δ15N in plant tissues with near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy. New Phytologist 184: 732–739. , , , , .
- 2010. Biochemistry of sterols, cardiac glycosides, brassinosteroids, phytoecdysteroids and steroid saponins. In: Wink M, ed. Biochemistry of plant secondary metabolism. Sheffield, UK: CRC Press, 304–363. , .
- 1991. Cardenolide-mediated interactions between plants and herbivores. In: Rosenthal GA, Berenbaum MR, eds. Herbivores: their interactions with secondary plant metabolites, 2nd edn, Volume I: the chemical participants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 251–296. .
- 1995. Milkweeds, monarch butterflies and the ecological significance of cardenolides. Chemoecology 5/6: 101–117. .
- 1989. Cardenolide fingerprint of monarch butterflies reared on a common milkweed Asclepias syriaca L. Journal of Chemical Ecology 15: 819–853. , , .
- 1996. Milkweed latex and cardenolide induction may resolve the lethal plant defense paradox. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 80: 193–196. , .
- 2010. Evolutionary trade-offs in plants mediate the strength of trophic cascades. Science 327: 1642–1644. , , , .
- 2004. Can gas exchange characteristics help explain the invasive success of Lythrum salicaria? Biological Invasions 6: 101–111. , .
- 1993. Sequestration and storage of cardenolides and cardenolide glycosides by Danaus plexippus and D. chrysippus petila when reared on Asclepias fruticosa: with a review of some factors that influence sequestration. In: Malcolm SB, Zalucki MP, eds. Biology and conservation of the monarch butterfly. Los Angeles, CA, USA: Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, 83–90. .
- 2006. Near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy as a fast and non-destructive tool to predict foliar organic constituents of several woody species. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 386: 1823–1833. , , , , , .
- 2009. Plant defense against herbivory: progress in identifying synergism, redundancy, and antagonism between resistance traits. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 473–478. , .
- 2009. Cardenolides, induced responses, and interactions between above- and belowground herbivores of milkweed (Asclepias spp.). Ecology 90: 2393–2404. , , , .
- 2012. Leaf optical properties reflect variation in photosynthetic metabolism and its sensitivity to temperature. Journal of Experimental Botany 63: 489–502. , , , .
- 1992. Application of NIR spectroscopy to agricultural products. In: Burns DA, Ciurczak EW, eds. Handbook of near-infrared analysis. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 383–431. , , .
- 2003. Estimation of vegetation water content and photosynthetic tissue area from spectral reflectance: a comparison of indices based on liquid water and chlorophyll absorption features. Remote Sensing of Environment 84: 526–537. , .
- 2001. Jasmonate-mediated induced plant resistance affects a community of herbivores. Ecological Entomology 26: 312–324. , , , .
- 1999. The evolution of species interactions. Science 284: 2116–2118. .
- 2011. Genetic variation in expression of defense phenotype may mediate evolutionary adaptation of Asclapias syriaca to elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 17: 1277–1288. , .
- 1984. The collinearity problem in linear regression. The partial least squares (PLS) approach to generalized inverses. SIAM Journal on Scientific and Statistical Computing 5: 735–743. , , , .
- 2001. PLS-regression: a basic tool of chemometrics. Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, 58: 109–130. , , .
- 2001. Detrimental effects of latex and cardiac glycosides on survival and growth of first-instar monarch butterfly larvae Danaus plexippus feeding on the sandhill milkweed Asclepias humistrata. Ecological Entomology 26: 212–224. , , .
- 2007. Interspecific variation within the genus Asclepias in response to herbivory by a phloem-feeding insect herbivore. Journal of Chemical Ecology 33: 2044–2053. , .