One hundred years of solitude: integrating single-strain inoculations with community perspectives in the legume–rhizobium symbiosis
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 1, pages 7–9, April 2013
How to Cite
Friesen, M. L. and Heath, K. D. (2013), One hundred years of solitude: integrating single-strain inoculations with community perspectives in the legume–rhizobium symbiosis. New Phytologist, 198: 7–9. doi: 10.1111/nph.12173
- Issue published online: 25 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2013
- National Science Foundation
- 1893a. Contribution to the biology of the organism causing leguminous tubercles (Continued). Botanical Gazette 18: 226–237. .
- 1893b. Contribution to the biology of the organism causing leguminous tubercles (Concluded). Botanical Gazette 18: 257–266. .
- 1970. Nodule number, time to nodulation and its effectiveness in eleven accessions of Glycine wightii. Tropical Grasslands 4: 223–228. , .
- 2012. Widespread fitness alignment in the legume–rhizobium symbiosis. New Phytologist 194: 1096–1111. .
- 1968. The Tragedy of the Commons. Science 162: 1243–1248. .
- 2006. Synergy and discounting of cooperation in social dilemmas. Journal of Theoretical Biology 239: 195–202. , , , .
- 2010. Intergenomic epistasis and coevolutionary constraint in plants and rhizobia. Evolution 64: 1446–1458. .
- 2010. Mutualism variation in the nodulation response to nitrate. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23: 2494–2500. , , .
- 2007. Context dependence in the coevolution of plant and rhizobial mutualists. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 274: 1905–1912. , .
- 2002. Evaluation of symbiotic effectiveness of various Rhizobium cicer strains. Research in Microbiology 153: 369–372. , , .
- 2013. Single-strain inoculation may create spurious correlations between legume fitness and rhizobial fitness. New Phytologist 198: 4–6. , , .
- 2007. Rhizobium leguminosarum bv. viciae genotypes interact with pea plants in developmental responses of nodules, roots and shoots. New Phytologist 176: 680–690. , , , .
- 2011. The rules of engagement in the legume–rhizobial symbiosis. Annual Review of Genetics 45: 119–144. , , , .
- 2011. Mutualism and adaptive divergence: co-Invasion of a heterogeneous grassland by an exotic legume–rhizobium symbiosis. PLoS ONE 6: e27935. , , .
- 2010. Host control over infection and proliferation of a cheater symbiont. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23: 1919–1927. , , , , , .
- 2006. Social evolution theory for microorganisms. Nature Reviews Microbiology 4: 597–607. , , , .