ORFH79 impairs mitochondrial function via interaction with a subunit of electron transport chain complex III in Honglian cytoplasmic male sterile rice
Version of Record online: 25 FEB 2013
No claim to original Chinese government works New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 2, pages 408–418, April 2013
How to Cite
Wang, K., Gao, F., Ji, Y., Liu, Y., Dan, Z., Yang, P., Zhu, Y. and Li, S. (2013), ORFH79 impairs mitochondrial function via interaction with a subunit of electron transport chain complex III in Honglian cytoplasmic male sterile rice. New Phytologist, 198: 408–418. doi: 10.1111/nph.12180
- Issue online: 20 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 25 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 NOV 2012
- National 973 Project. Grant Numbers: 2007CB109005, 2011CB100102
- National Natural Science Foundation. Grant Number: 31070303
- 2011. Plant mitochondrial genomes and recombination. In: Kempken F, ed. Advances in plant biology. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 65–82. , .
- 2006. A novel system for gene silencing using siRNAs in rice leaf and stem-derived protoplasts. Plant Methods 2: 1–9. , , , , .
- 2010. The sites and topology of mitochondrial superoxide production. Experimental Gerontology 45: 466–472. .
- 1994. Isolation and characterization of QCR10, the nuclear gene encoding the 8.5-kDa subunit 10 of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cytochrome bc1 complex. Journal of Biological Chemistry 269: 12947–12953. , , , .
- 2003. The nucleo-mitochondrial conflict in cytoplasmic male sterilities revisited. Genetica 117: 3–16. , , .
- 2007. Cytoplasmic male sterility: a window to the world of plant mitochondrial–nuclear interactions. Trends in Genetics 23: 81–90. .
- 1990. Differential mitochondrial electron transport through the cyanide-sensitive and cyanide-insensitive pathways in isonuclear lines of cytoplasmic male sterile, male fertile, and restored petunia. Plant Physiology 93: 1634–1640. , .
- 1986. Novel recombinations in the maize mitochondrial genome produce a unique transcriptional unit in the texas male-sterile cytoplasm. Cell 44: 439–449. , , .
- 2009. Control of cell proliferation, organ growth, and DNA damage response operate independently of dephosphorylation of the Arabidopsis Cdk1 homolog CDKA;1. Plant Cell 21: 3641–3654. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Method for measuring ATP production in isolated mitochondria: ATP production in brain and liver mitochondria of Fischer-344 rats with age and caloric restriction. American Journal of Physiology. Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 285: 1259–1267. , .
- 2001. The male sterile G cytoplasm of wild beet displays modified mitochondrial respiratory complexes. Plant Journal 26: 171–180. , , .
- 2006. Respiratory chain supercomplexes in the plant mitochondrial membrane. Trends in Plant Science 11: 232–240. , , , , .
- 2009. The Ogura sterility-inducing protein forms a large complex without interfering with the oxidative phosphorylation components in rapeseed mitochondria. Plant Molecular Biology 70: 123–137. , , , , .
- 2007. Isolation and subfractionation of plant mitochondria for proteomic analysis. In: Thiellement H, Zivy M, Damerval C, Méchin V, eds. Plant proteomics: methods and protocol. Totowa, NJ, USA: Humana Press, 49–62. , , .
- 2003. New insights into the respiratory chain of plant mitochondria. Supercomplexes and a unique composition of complex II. Plant Physiology 133: 274–286. , , .
- 2010. Rice expression atlas in reproductive development. Plant and Cell Physiology 51: 2060–2081. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The Arabidopsis thaliana F-box protein FBL17 is essential for progression through the second mitosis during pollen development. PLoS ONE 4: e4780. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Plant mitochondrial mutations and male sterility. Annual Review of Genetics 25: 461–486. .
- 2004. Interactions of mitochondrial and nuclear genes that affect male gametophyte development. Plant Cell 16(Suppl 1): S154–S169. , .
- 2007. Phosphorylation of threonine 161 in plant cyclin-dependent kinase A is required for cell division by activation of its associated kinase. Plant Journal 52: 435–448. , , .
- 2012. The rice pentatricopeptide repeat protein RF5 restores fertility in hong-lian cytoplasmic male-sterile lines via a complex with the glycine-rich protein GRP162. Plant Cell 24: 109–122. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Arabidopsis CDKA;1, a cdc2 homologue, controls proliferation of generative cells in male gametogenesis. Plant Journal 45: 819–831. , , .
- 1998. Complete structure of the 11-subunit bovine mitochondrial cytochrome bc1 complex. Science 281: 64–71. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cytochrome c reductase from potato does not comprise three core proteins but contains an additional low-molecular-mass subunit. European Journal of Biochemistry 228: 878–885. , , , .
- 1993. Unusual mitochondrial genome organization in cytoplasmic male sterile common bean and the nature of cytoplasmic reversion to fertility. Genetics 135: 869–879. , .
- 2008. Control of plant germline proliferation by SCFFBL17 degradation of cell cycle inhibitors. Nature 455: 1134–1137. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Biochemical assays of respiratory chain complex activity. In: Pon LA, Schon EA, eds. Mitochondria, 2nd edn. San Diego, CA, USA: Elsevier, 93–116. , , , .
- 1994. Organ-specific reduction in the abundance of a mitochondrial protein accompanies fertility restoration in cytoplasmic male-sterile radish. Plant Molecular Biology 26: 935–946. , .
- 2008. Angiosperm mitochondrial genomes and mutations. Mitochondrion 8: 5–14. , .
- 1972. Anatomy and cytology of microsporogenesis in cytoplasmic male sterile angiosperms. Botanical Review 38: 425–454. , .
- 1979. Organelle size and number in fertile and T-cytoplasmic male-sterile corn. American Journal of Botany 66: 141–148. , .
- 2007. Mitochondrial complex II is essential for gametophyte development in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 143: 1534–1546. , , .
- 1941. Male sterility in natural populations of hermaphrodite plants. New Phytologist 40: 56–63. .
- 2004. Programmed cell death during microgenesis in a Honglian CMS line of rice is correlated with oxidative stress in mitochondria. Functional Plant Biology 31: 369–376. , , , , , .
- 2007. Characterization and use of male sterility in hybrid rice breeding. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 49: 791–804. , , .
- 2010. MALE GAMETOPHYTE DEFECTIVE 1, encoding the FAd subunit of mitochondrial F1F0-ATP synthase, is essential for pollen formation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant & Cell Physiology 51: 923–935. , , , , .
- 2010. Metabolic control of G1-S transition: cyclin E degradation by p53-induced activation of the ubiquitin-proteasome system. Journal of Cell Biology 188: 473–479. , , , .
- 2004. Control of male gametophyte development. Plant Cell 16(Suppl 1): S142–S153. .
- 2008. Resolving and identifying protein components of plant mitochondrial respiratory complexes using three dimensions of gel electrophoresis. Journal of Proteome Research 7: 786–794. , , .
- 2001. Plant mitochondria and oxidative stress: electron transport, NADPH turnover, and metabolism of reactive oxygen species. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 561–591. .
- 2010. ROS signalling–specificity is required. Trends in Plant Science 15: 370–374. , .
- 2006. A positive signal from the fertilization of the egg cell sets off endosperm proliferation in angiosperm embryogenesis. Nature Genetics 38: 63–67. , , , , , .
- 2008. Distinct mitochondrial retrograde signals control the G1-S cell cycle checkpoint. Nature Genetics 40: 356–361. , , , .
- 2010. The mitochondrial gene orfH79 plays a critical role in impairing both male gametophyte development and root growth in CMS-Honglian rice. BMC Plant Biology 10: 125. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Decreased complex III activity in mitochondria isolated from rat heart subjected to ischemia and reperfusion: role of reactive oxygen species and cardiolipin. FASEB Journal 17: 714–716. , , , .
- 2008. The multiplicity of dehydrogenases in the electron transport chain of plant mitochondria. Mitochondrion 8: 47–60. , , .
- 1995. URF13, a ligand-gated, pore-forming receptor for T-toxin in the inner membrane ofcms-T mitochondria. Journal of Bioenergetics and Biomembranes 27: 437–445. , , .
- 2003. ORFB is a subunit of F1FO-ATP synthase: insight into the basis of cytoplasmic male sterility in sunflower. Embo Reports 4: 381–386. , , , .
- 1994. Cell-specific regulation of gene expression in mitochondria during anther development in sunflower. Plant Cell 6: 811–825. , , .
- 2012. Molecular characterization of latent fertility restorer loci for Honglian cytoplasmic male sterility in Oryza species. Molecular Breeding 30: 1–8. , , , , .
- 2006. A blossoming romance: gamete interactions in flowering plants. Nature Cell Biology 8: 14–16. .
- 2011. Male gametogenesis and germline specification in flowering plants. Sexual Plant Reproduction 24: 149–160. .
- 2005. Regulating cell division events during male gametophyte development. Acta Biologica Cracoviensia Series Botanica 47: 29. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. MOR1/GEM1 has an essential role in the plant-specific cytokinetic phragmoplast. Nature Cell Biology 4: 711–714. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Characterization of Raphanus sativus pentatricopeptide repeat proteins encoded by the fertility restorer locus for ogura cytoplasmic male sterility. Plant Cell 20: 3331–3345. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Topogenic signals in integral membrane proteins. European Journal of Biochemistry 174: 671–678. , .
- 2007. Damage of oxidative stress on mitochondria during microspores development in Honglian CMS line of rice. Plant Cell Reports 26: 373–382. , , , , , .
- 2009. Construction of bacterial two-hybrid system library from the young panicle of honglian hybrid rice. Journal of Wuhan University 55: 365–369. , , , , .
- 2009. Identification of the pollen self-incompatibility determinant in Papaver rhoeas. Nature 459: 992–995. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The genetics, pathology, and molecular biology of T-cytoplasm male sterility in maize. Advances in Agronomy 65: 79–130. , , , .
- 2008. Coordination of gene expression between organellar and nuclear genomes. Nature Reviews Genetics 9: 383–395. , .
- 2002. Discovery of mitochondrial chimeric-gene associated with cytoplasmic male sterility of HL-rice. Chinese Science Bulletin 47: 744–747. , , , .
- 1987. A fused mitochondrial gene associated with cytoplasmic male sterility is developmentally regulated. Cell 50: 41–49. , .
- 2009. Stamen specification and anther development in rice. Chinese Science Bulletin 54: 2342–2353. , .