Article first published online: 20 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 2, pages 496–503, April 2013
How to Cite
Paulsen, T. R., Colville, L., Kranner, I., Daws, M. I., Högstedt, G., Vandvik, V. and Thompson, K. (2013), Physical dormancy in seeds: a game of hide and seek?. New Phytologist, 198: 496–503. doi: 10.1111/nph.12191
- Issue published online: 20 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 20 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 NOV 2012
- 1998. Seeds – ecology, biogeography, and evolution of dormancy and germination. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2000. Evolutionary considerations of claims for physical dormancy-break by microbial action and abrasion by soil particles. Seed Science Research 10: 409–413. , .
- 2000. Taxonomy, anatomy and evolution of physical dormancy in seeds. Plant Species Biology 15: 139–152. , , .
- 2012. Volatile fingerprints of seeds of four species indicate the involvement of alcoholic fermentation, lipid peroxidation, and Maillard reactions in seed deterioration during ageing and desiccation stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 63: 6519–6530. , , , , , .
- 2011. Seed survival in soil: interacting effects of predation, dormancy and the soil microbial community. Journal of Ecology 99: 89–95. , , , .
- 2005. Traits of recalcitrant seeds in a semi-deciduous tropical forest in Panamá: some ecological implications. Functional Ecology 19: 874–885. , , .
- 2009. High relative humidity increases pilfering success of yellow pine chipmunks. Journal of Mammalogy 90: 796–802. , .
- 2002. Does human scent bias seed removal studies? Ecology 83: 2630–2636. , , , .
- 1981. A comparative study of germination characteristics in a local flora. Journal of Ecology 69: 1017–1059. , , , , .
- 2012. Olfactory detection of caches containing wildland versus cultivated seeds by granivorous rodents. Western North American Naturalist 72: 339–347. , , .
- 1967. Olfaction in seed detection by deer mice. Journal of Mammalogy 48: 147–150. , .
- 1982. Ecology of seed dispersal. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 13: 201–228. , .
- 1998. Post-dispersal seed predation and seed bank persistence. Seed Science Research 8: 513–519. .
- 1999. Dew deposition and drying in a desert system: a simple simulation model. Journal of Arid Environments 42: 211–222. , , .
- 2002 The role of seed size in dispersal by a scatter-hoarding rodent. In: Levey DJ, Silva WR, Galetti M, eds. Seed dispersal and frugivory: ecology, evolution and conservation. New York, NY, USA: CABI Publishing, 209–225. , , , , , .
- 2011. Mammal pollinators lured by the scent of a parasitic plant. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 278: 2303–2310. , , , .
- 1981. Ability of desert rodents to find buried seeds. Journal of Range Management 34: 312–314. , .
- 2001. Emission of volatile compounds by seeds under different environmental conditions. American Midland Naturalist 145: 419–422. .
- 2010. What is stress? Concepts, definitions and applications in seed science. New Phytologist 188: 655–673. , , , .
- 2001. Volatile compounds and accumulation of acetaldehyde-protein adducts in relation to seed quality and storage conditions. Journal of New Seeds 2: 59–76. , , , .
- 1998. Seed size and shape are not related to persistence in soil in Australia in the same way as in Britain. Functional Ecology 12: 480–485. , .
- 2005. β-1,3-Glucanase gene expression in low-hydrated seeds as a mechanism for dormancy release during tobacco after-ripening. The Plant Journal 41: 133–145. .
- 2002. Physical dormancy in Geraniaceae seeds. Seed Science Research 12: 121–128. .
- 1994. The role of seed coats in seed viability. The Botanical Review 60: 426–439. , , , .
- 2005. A brief history of seed size. Science 307: 576–580. , , , , , .
- 1997. What resources are available to desert granivores: seed rain or soil seed bank? Ecology 78: 764–773. , .
- 2004. Ecological correlates of seed desiccation tolerance in tropical African dryland trees. American Journal of Botany 91: 863–870. , , , , , .
- R Development Core Team. 2011 R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 2005. How to predict attachment potential of seeds to sheep and cattle coat from simple morphological seed traits. Oikos 110: 219–230. , , .
- 2004. Number and weight of seeds and reproductive strategies of herbaceous plants. Folia Geobotanica 39: 27–40. , .
- 1995. Exceptional seed longevity and robust growth: ancient Sacred Lotus from China. American Journal of Botany 82: 1367–1380. , , , , .
- 1976. Observations on organic volatiles from germinating seeds and seedlings. American Journal of Botany 63: 798–805. , .
- 1990. Food hoarding in animals. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. .
- 1993a. Seed water content and the vulnerability of buried seeds to foraging rodents. American Midland Naturalist 129: 272–281. .
- 1993b. A model of caching depth: implications for scatter hoarders and plant dispersal. The American Naturalist 141: 217–232. .
- 1995. Influence of substrate water on the ability of rodents to find buried seeds. Journal of Mammalogy 76: 851–856. .
- 1998. Foraging success of granivorous rodents: effects of variation in seed and soil water on olfaction. Ecology 79: 233–241. .
- 2003. How rodents smell buried seeds: a model based on the behavior of pesticides in soil. Journal of Mammalogy 84: 1089–1099. .
- 2003. Interspecific variation in the olfactory abilities of granivorous rodents. Journal of Mammalogy 84: 487–496. , , , , , , .
- 1981. Ethanol and acetaldehyde in imbibing soybean seeds in relation to deterioration. Plant Physiology 67: 424–428. , .