Viroids: a light in the darkness of the lncRNA-directed regulatory networks in plants
Article first published online: 12 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 1, pages 10–15, April 2013
How to Cite
Gómez, G. and Pallás, V. (2013), Viroids: a light in the darkness of the lncRNA-directed regulatory networks in plants. New Phytologist, 198: 10–15. doi: 10.1111/nph.12196
- Issue published online: 25 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 12 FEB 2013
- Direccion General de Investigacion Cientifica
- Prometeo program. Grant Number: 2011/003
- Generalitat Valenciana
- 2011. Macromolecules in phloem exudates-a review. Protoplasma 248: 165–172. , , .
- 2011. Long non-coding RNA-mediated mechanisms independent of the RNAi pathway in animals and plants. RNA Biology 8: 404–414. , , , .
- 2009. Untranslated regions of a mobile transcript mediate RNA metabolism. Plant Physiology 151: 1831–1843. , , .
- 2011. Dual RNAs in plants. Biochimie 93: 1950–1954. , , , .
- 2009. Novel long non-protein coding RNAs involved in Arabidopsis differentiation and stress responses. Genome Research 19: 57–69. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Phloem small RNAs, nutrient stress responses, and systemic mobility. BMC Plant Biology 10: 64. , , , .
- 2004. Photosynthetic evolution in parasitic plants: insight from the chloroplast genome. BioEssays 26: 235–247. .
- 2004. Enod40, a short open reading frame-containing mRNA, induces cytoplasmic localization of a nuclear RNA binding protein in Medicago truncatula. Plant Cell 16: 1047–1059. , , .
- 2009. Epigenetic regulation of stress responses in plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 133–139. , .
- 2012. Genome-wide analysis of long noncoding RNA stability. Genome Research 22: 885. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A chloroplast protein binds a viroid RNA in vivo and facilitates its hammerhead-mediated self-cleavage. EMBO Journal 21: 749–759. , .
- 2009. The biology of viroid–host interactions. Annual Review of Phytopathology 47: 105–131. .
- 1982. Properties of a cell-free system for synthesis of citrus exocortis viroid. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 79: 6285–6288. , .
- 2007. Target mimicry provides a new mechanism for regulation of microRNA activity. Nature Genetics 39: 1033–1037. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Processing of nuclear viroids in vivo: an interplay between RNA conformations. PLoS Pathogens 3: e182. , , , .
- 2008. Viroid-induced symptoms in N. benthamiana plants are dependent on RDR6 activity. Plant Physiology 148: 414–423. , , .
- 2009. Interplay between viroid-induced pathogenesis and RNA silencing pathways. Trends in Plant Science 14: 264–269. , , .
- 2001. Identification of a ribonucleoprotein complex between a viroid RNA and a phloem protein from cucumber. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 910–913. , .
- 2004. A long distance translocatable phloem protein from cucumber forms a ribonucleoprotein complex in vivo with Hop stunt viroid RNA. Journal of Virology 78: 10104–10110. , .
- 2007. Mature monomeric forms of Hop stunt viroid resist RNA silencing in transgenic plants. Plant Journal 51: 1041–1049. , .
- 2010a. Noncoding RNA mediated traffic of foreign mRNA into chloroplasts reveals a novel signaling mechanism in plants. PLoS ONE 5: e12269. , .
- 2010b. Can the import of mRNA into chloroplasts be mediated by a secondary structure of a small non-coding RNA? Plant Signaling & Behavior 5: 1517–1519. , .
- 2012a. Studies on subcellular compartmentalization of plant pathogenic noncoding RNAs give new insights into the intracellular RNA-traffic mechanisms. Plant Physiology 159: 558–564. , .
- 2012b. A pathogenic noncoding RNA that replicates and accumulates in chloroplasts traffics this organelle through a nuclear-dependent step. Plant Signaling & Behavior 7: 882–884. , .
- 2005. Identification of translocatable RNA-binding phloem proteins from melon, potential components of the long-distance RNA transport system. Plant Journal 41: 107–116. , , .
- 2009. A polypyrimidine tract binding protein, pumpkin RBP50, forms the basis of a phloem-mobile ribonucleoprotein complex. Plant Cell 21: 197–215. , , , , , .
- 2010. A model system of development regulated by the long-distance transport of mRNA. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 52: 40–52. .
- 2010. Vernalization-mediated epigenetic silencing by a long intronic noncoding RNA. Science 331: 76–79. , .
- 2012. Against the traffic: the first evidence for mitochondrial DNA transfer into the plastid genome. Mobile Genetic Elements 2: 1–6. , , , , , .
- 2002. Potato spindle tuber viroid strains of different pathogenicity induces and suppresses expression of common and unique genes in infected tomato. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 15: 990–999. , , , , .
- 2007. A structured viroid RNA substrate for Dicer-Like cleavage to produce biologically active sRNAs but is resistant to RISC-mediated degradation. Journal of Virology 81: 2980–2994. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. CmRBP50 protein phosphorylation is essential for assembly of a stable phloem-mobile high-affinity ribonucleoprotein complex. Journal of Biological Chemistry 286: 23142–23149. , , .
- 2006. Integrative plant biology: role of phloem long-distance macromolecular trafficking. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 203–232. , .
- 2012. Possible import routes of proteins into the cyanobacterial endosymbionts/plastids of Paulinella chromatophora. Theory in Biosciences 131: 1–18. , , .
- 2003. A bromodomain-containing protein from tomato specifically binds potato spindle tuber viroid RNA in vitro and in vivo. Journal of Virology 77: 9685–9694. , , , .
- 2009. The genetic signatures of noncoding RNAS. PLoS Genetics 5: e1000459. .
- 2011. Intercellular and systemic movement of RNA silencing signals. EMBO Journal 30: 3553–3563. , , .
- 1997. Viroid replication is inhibited by alpha-amanitin. Nature 278: 185–188. , .
- 2012. Small RNAs containing the pathogenic determinant of a chloroplast-replicating viroid guide the degradation of a host mRNA as predicted by RNA silencing. Plant Journal 70: 991–1003. , , , , , .
- 2000. A chloroplastic RNA polymerase resistant to tagetitoxin is involved in replication of avocado sunblotch viroid. Virology 268: 218–225. , , .
- 2012a. Viroid RNA redirects host DNA ligase1 to act as RNA ligase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: 13805–13811. , , .
- 2012b. Involvement of the chloroplastic isoform of tRNA ligase in the replication of viroids belonging to the family Avsunviroidae. Journal of Virology 86: 8269–8276. , , , .
- 2001. Possible involvement of a phloem lectin in long distance viroid movement. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 905–909. , , .
- 2001. Replicating potato spindle tuber viroid RNA is accompanied by short RNA fragments that are characteristic of post-transcriptional gene silencing. Nucleic Acids Research 29: 2395–2400. , , , , , .
- 2001. Study of the polymerization step of the rolling circle replication of peach latent mosaic viroid. Archives Virology 146: 1753–1763. , , .
- 2002. Characterization of a viroid-derived RNA promoter for the DNA-dependent RNA polymerase from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry 41: 6561–6571. , , .
- 2012. Non-coding RNAs in intercellular and systemic signaling. Frontiers in Plant Science 3: 141. , .
- 2005. Functional hammerhead ribozymes naturally encoded in the genome of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 17: 1877–1885. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Genome regulation by long noncoding RNAs. Annual Review of Biochemistry 81: 145–166. , .
- 2011. Small RNAs derived from longer non-coding RNAs. Biochimie 93: 1905–1915. , .
- 2011. A viral satellite RNA induces yellow symptoms on tobacco by targeting a gene involved in chlorophyll biosynthesis using the RNA silencing machinery. PLoS Pathogens 7: e100202. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. CCLS96.1, a member of a multicopy gene family, may encode a non-coding RNA preferentially transcribed in reproductive organs of Silene latifolia. DNA Research 10: 213–220. , , , , .
- 2007. Differential display analysis of gene expression in Etrog citron leaves infected by Citrus viroid III. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1769: 228–235. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Molecular mechanisms of long noncoding RNAs. Molecular Cell 43: 904–914. , .
- 2004. On the role of RNA silencing in the pathogenicity and evolution of viroids and viral satellites. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 3275–3280. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Viroids: small probes for exploring the vast universe of RNA trafficking in plants. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 52: 28–39. , .
- 1994. RNA-directed de novo methylation of genomic sequences in plants. Cell 76: 567–576. , , , .
- 2012. The role of long non-coding RNA in transcriptional gene silencing. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 15: 1–6. .
- 1999. Characterization of nuclear import of potato spindle tuber viroid RNA in permeabilized protoplasts. Plant Journal 17: 627–635. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Use of a vector based on Potato virus X in a whole plant assay to demonstrate nuclear targeting of potato spindle tuber viroid. Journal of General Virology 82: 1491–1497. , , .
- 2008. Distinct RNA motifs mediate systemic RNA trafficking. Plant Signaling Behavior 3: 58–59. , .