AaORA, a trichome-specific AP2/ERF transcription factor of Artemisia annua, is a positive regulator in the artemisinin biosynthetic pathway and in disease resistance to Botrytis cinerea
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 4, pages 1191–1202, June 2013
How to Cite
Lu, X., Zhang, L., Zhang, F., Jiang, W., Shen, Q., Zhang, L., Lv, Z., Wang, G. and Tang, K. (2013), AaORA, a trichome-specific AP2/ERF transcription factor of Artemisia annua, is a positive regulator in the artemisinin biosynthetic pathway and in disease resistance to Botrytis cinerea. New Phytologist, 198: 1191–1202. doi: 10.1111/nph.12207
- Issue published online: 7 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 17 OCT 2012
- China ‘863’ Program. Grant Number: 2011AA100605
- China Transgenic Research Program. Grant Number: 2011ZX08002-001
- Ministry of Education
- 2006. Role of DREB transcription factors in abiotic and biotic stress tolerance in plants. Plant Cell Reports 25: 1263–1274. , , , .
- 2002. Constitutive expression of ETHYLENE-RESPONSE FACTOR1 in Arabidopsis confers resistance to several necrotrophic fungi. Plant Journal 29: 23–32. , , .
- 1999. Amorpha-4,11-diene synthase catalyses the first probable step in artemisinin biosynthesis. Phytochemistry 52: 843–854. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. In vivo transformations of dihydroartemisinic acid in Artemisia annua plants. Tetrahedron 60: 1139–1159. , .
- 2007. In vivo transformations of artemisinic acid in Artemisia annua plants. Tetrahedron 63: 9548–9566. , .
- 2007. Antiplasmodial and antitumor activity of artemisinin from bench to bedside. Planta Medica 73: 299–309. .
- 2008. The antiviral activities of artemisinin and artesunate. Clinical Infectious Diseases 47: 804–811. , , , , , .
- 2011. Low oleic acid-derived repression of jasmonic acid-inducible defense responses requires the WRKY50 and WRKY51 proteins. Plant Physiology 155: 464–476. , , , .
- 1987. GUS fusions: beta-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. The EMBO Journal 6: 3901–3907. , , .
- 2001. MEGA2: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis software. Bioinformatics 17: 1244–1245. , , , .
- 1973. The role of trichomes in plant defense. Quarterly Review of Biology 48: 3–15. .
- 2003. ETHYLENE RESPONSE FACTOR1 integrates signals from ethylene and jasmonate pathways in plant defense. Plant Cell 15: 165–178. , , , .
- 2012. Characterization of a novel ERF transcription factor in Artemisia annua and its induction kinetics after hormones and stress treatments. Molecular Biology Reports 39: 9521–9527. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Molecular cloning, expression, and characterization of amorpha-4,11-diene synthase, a key enzyme of artemisinin biosynthesis in Artemisia annua L. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 381: 173–180. , , , , .
- 2011. Relative expression of genes of terpene metabolism in different tissues of Artemisia annua L. BMC Plant Biology 11: 45. , , , .
- 2012. Trichome isolation with and without fixation using laser microdissection and pressure catapulting followed by RNA amplification: expression of genes of terpene metabolism in apical and sub-apical trichome cells of Artemisia annua L. Plant Science 183: 9–13. , , .
- 2009. Localization of enzymes of artemisinin biosynthesis to the apical cells of glandular secretory trichomes of Artemisia annua L. Phytochemistry 70: 1123–1128. , , , , , .
- 1998. Jasmonate and salicylate as global signals for defense gene expression. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 1: 404–411. , .
- 2006. Production of the antimalarial drug precursor artemisinic acid in engineered yeast. Nature 440: 940–943. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Molecular Biology and Evolution 4: 406–425. , .
- 2002. DNA-binding specificity of the ERF/AP2 domain of Arabidopsis DREBs, transcription factors involved in dehydration- and cold-inducible gene expression. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 290: 998–1009. , , , , , .
- 2008. Harnessing plant trichome biochemistry for the production of useful compounds. Plant Journal 54: 702–711. , , .
- 1998. Nuclear events in ethylene signaling: a transcriptional cascade mediated by ETHYLENE-INSENSITIVE3 and ETHYLENE-RESPONSE-FACTOR1. Genes and Development 12: 3703–3714. , , , .
- 2009. Molecular cloning of an aldehyde dehydrogenase implicated in artemisinin biosynthesis in Artemisia annua. Botany 87: 635–642. , , , .
- 2006. Artemisia annua L. (Asteraceae) trichome-specific cDNAs reveal CYP71AV1, a cytochrome P450 with a key role in the biosynthesis of the antimalarial sesquiterpene lactone artemisinin. FEBS Letters 580: 1411–1416. , , , , .
- 1997. The CLUSTAL X windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools. Nucleic Acids Research 25: 4876–4882. , , , , .
- 2000. ORCA3, a jasmonate-responsive transcriptional regulator of plant primary and secondary metabolism. Science 289: 295–297. , .
- 2003. An enhanced transient expression system in plants based on suppression of gene silencing by the p19 protein of tomato bushy stunt virus. Plant Journal 33: 949–956. , , , .
- 1999. Isolation and identification of dihydroartemisinic acid hydroperoxide from Artemisia annua: a novel biosynthetic precursor of artemisinin. Journal of Natural Products 62: 430–433. , , .
- 2013. Trichome-specific expression of the amorpha-4,11-diene 12-hydroxylase (cyp71av1) gene, encoding a key enzyme of artemisinin biosynthesis in Artemisia annua, as reported by a promoter-GUS fusion. Plant Molecular Biology 81: 119–138. , , , , .
- 2011. Trichome-specific expression of amorpha-4,11-diene synthase, a key enzyme of artemisinin biosynthesis in Artemisia annua L., as reported by a promoter-GUS fusion. American Journal of Plant Sciences 2: 619–628. , , , .
- 2011. Artemisinin production in Artemisia annua: studies in planta and results of a novel delivery method for treating malaria and other neglected diseases. Phytochemistry Reviews 10: 173–183. , , , , , .
- 2006. Artemisinin: the biosynthetic pathway and its regulation in Artemisia annua, a terpenoid-rich species. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant 42: 309–317. , , .
- 2012. The jasmonate-responsive AP2/ERF transcription factors AaERF1 and AaERF2 positively regulate artemisinin biosynthesis in Artemisia annua L. Molecular Plant 5: 353–365. , , , , , .
- 2009. Development of transgenic Artemisia annua (Chinese wormwood) plants with an enhanced content of artemisinin, an effective anti-malarial drug, by hairpin-RNA-mediated gene silencing. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry 52: 199–207. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Identification of putative Artemisia annua ABCG transporter unigenes related to artemisinin yield following expression analysis in different plant tissues and in response to methyl jasmonate and abscisic acid treatments. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 4: 838–847. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana using the floral dip method. Nature Protocols 1: 641–646. , , , , .
- 2008. The molecular cloning of artemisinic aldehyde Δ11(13) reductase and its role in glandular trichome-dependent biosynthesis of artemisinin in Artemisia annua. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 21501–21508. , , , , , , , .