Spatial and temporal dynamics of the colonization of Pinus radiata by Fusarium circinatum, of conidiophora development in the pith and of traumatic resin duct formation
Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 4, pages 1215–1227, June 2013
How to Cite
Martín-Rodrigues, N., Espinel, S., Sanchez-Zabala, J., Ortíz, A., González-Murua, C. and Duñabeitia, M. K. (2013), Spatial and temporal dynamics of the colonization of Pinus radiata by Fusarium circinatum, of conidiophora development in the pith and of traumatic resin duct formation. New Phytologist, 198: 1215–1227. doi: 10.1111/nph.12222
- Issue online: 7 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 DEC 2012
- National Institute of Agricultural Research (INIA)
- Basque Government. Grant Number: IT526-10
- 1984. Pitch canker impact on volume growth: a case study in slash pine plantations. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 8: 43–47. , , .
- 1936. Vertical resin ducts in the secondary wood of the Abietineae. New Phytologist 35: 11–46. .
- 1983. Histopathology of Fusarium moniliforme var. subglutinans in four species of Southern pines. Phytopathology 73: 882–889. , .
- 1984. Variation in susceptibility to the pitch canker fungus among half-sib and full-sib families of Virginia pine. Phytopathology 74: 438–444. , .
- 1978. Natural association of Fusarium moniliforme var. subglutinans with Pissodes nemorensis. Phytopathology News 12: 208. , , , .
- 2003. Pinus nigra-Sphaeropsis sapinea as a model pathosystem to investigate local and systemic effects of fungal infection of pines. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 63: 249–261. , .
- 2001. Systemic induced resistance in Monterey pine. Forest Pathology 31: 99–106. , , .
- 1993. Ozone effects on root-disease susceptibility and defence responses in mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal seedlings of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.). New Phytologist 124: 653–663. , , .
- 2001. Cloning and sequence analysis of the endopolygalacturonase gene from the pitch canker fungus, Fusarium circinatum. Current Microbiology 42: 350–352. , , , .
- 1996. Engineered GFP as a vital reporter in plants. Current Biology 6: 325–330. , , , , , .
- 1999. Mechanical injury and fungal infection induce acquired resistance in Norway spruce. Tree Physiology 19: 399–403. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Pitch canker disease in California: pathogenicity, distribution and canker development on Monterey pines (Pinus radiata). Plant Disease 75: 676–682. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of Fusarium circinatum. Mycological Research 105: 259–264. , , , , .
- 2002. Pathogen challenge, salicylic acid and jasmonic acid regulate expression of chitinase gene homologs in Pine. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 15: 380–387. , , , , , .
- 2003. Fusarium oxysporum: exploring the molecular arsenal of vascular wilt fungus. Molecular Plant Pathology 4: 315–325. , , , , .
- 1978. Susceptibility of southern pines to infection by Fusarium moniliforme var subglutinans. Plant Disease Reporter 62: 108–111. .
- 1978. Recovery of the pine pitch canker fungus from pine plantation and seed orchard soil. Phytopathology News 12: 207. , .
- 1977. Pitch canker of slash pine in Florida. Journal of Forestry 75: 488–489. , .
- 2003. Responses of conifer species of the Great Lakes region of North America to inoculation with the pitch canker pathogen Fusarium circinatum. Forest Pathology 33: 333–338. , .
- 2010. Induced resistance to pests and pathogens in tress. New Phytologist 185: 893–908. , , , .
- 1998. Plant-adapted green fluorescent protein is a versatile vital reporter for gene expression, protein localization and mitosis in the filamentous fungus Aspergillus nidulans. Molecular Microbiology 27: 121–130. , , , , .
- 2005. Anatomical and chemical defenses of conifer bark against bark beetles and other pests. New Phytologist 167: 353–376. , , , .
- 2010. Fost 12, the Fusarium oxysporum homolog of the transcription factor Ste 12, is upregulated during plant infection and required for virulence. Fungal Genetics and Biology 47: 216–225. , , , , , .
- 2013. Transcriptional changes in the transition from vegetative cells to asexual development in the model fungus Aspergillus nidulans. Eukariotic Cell 12: 311–321. , , , , , .
- 2011. Biology and management of Gibberella circinata, the cause of pitch canker in pines. In: Alves-Santos FM, Diez JJ, eds. Control of Fusarium diseases. Trivandrum, Kerala, India: Research Signpost, 195–207. .
- 2011. Evidence for the occurrence of induced resistance to pitch canker, caused by Gibberella circinata (anamorph Fusarium circinatum), in populations of Pinus radiata. Forest Pathology 41: 227–232. , , , , , .
- 1998a. Susceptibility of five landscape pines to pitch canker disease, caused by Fusarium subglutinans f. sp. pini. HortScience 33: 868–871. , , , .
- 1946. Pitch canker, a new disease of southern pines. Journal of Forestry 44: 742–744. , .
- 2000. Differential responses of Central American and Mexican pine species and Pinus radiata to infection by the pitch canker fungus. New Forests 19: 241–258. , .
- 2005. Anatomical and cellular responses of Pinus monticola stem tissues to invasion by Cronartium ribicola. Forest Pathology 35: 423–443. , , , , .
- 1998. Tissue localization of phenolic compounds in plants by confocal laser scanning microscopy. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 953–965. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Identification of genes up-regulated during conidiation of Fusarium oxysporum through expressed sequence tag analysis. Fungal Genetics and Biology 43: 179–189. , , .
- 2009. Sensitive detection of Fusarium circinatum in pine seed by combining an enrichment procedure with a real-time polymerase chain reaction using dual-labeled probe chemistry. Phytopathology 99: 582–590. , , , .
- 2011. A genetically homogenous population of Fusarium circinatum causes pitch canker of Pinus radiata in the Basque Country, Spain. Fungal Biology 115: 288–295. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Infection patters in barley and wheat spikes inoculated with wild-type and trichodiene synthase gene disrupted Fusarium graminearum. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 16892–16897. , , , , , .
- 2010. Resin flow, symptom development and lignin biosynthesis of two pine species in response to wounding and inoculation with Fusarium circinatum. The Plant Pathology Journal 26: 394–401. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Visualization of wound periderm and hyphal profiles in pine stems inoculated with the pitch canker fungus Fusarium circinatum. Microscopy Research and Technique 72: 965–973. , , , , , .
- 2008. Variation in susceptibility of six pine species and hybrids to pitch canker caused by Fusarium circinatum. Forest Pathology 38: 419–428. , , , .
- 2004. Differential anatomical response of Norway spruce stem tissues to sterile and fungus infected inoculations. Trees 18: 1–9. , , , .
- 2003. Inducible anatomical defense responses in Norway spruce stems and their possible role in induced resistance. Tree Physiology 23: 191–197. , , , .
- 2002. Novel aspects of tomato root colonization and infection by Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. radicis-lycopersici revealed by confocal laser scanning microscopic analysis using the green fluorescent protein as a marker. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 15: 172–179. , , , , , , .
- 1991. A DNA transformation-competent Arabidopsis genomic library in Agrobacterium. Biotechnology 9: 963–967. , , .
- 1973. Concepts in fungal nutrition and the origin of biotrophy. Biological Reviews 48: 261–278. .
- 2006. Effects of fire and mechanical wounding on Pinus resinosa resin defenses, beetle attacks and pathogens. Forest Ecology and Management 225: 349–358. , , .
- 2005. Systemic induction of traumatic resin ducts and resin flow in Austrian pine by wounding and inoculation with Sphaeropsis sapinea and Diplodia scrobiculata. Planta 221: 75–84. , , , .
- 2009. Real-time PCR quantification and live-cell imaging of endophytic colonization of barley (Hordeum vulgare) roots by Fusarium equiseti and Pochonia chlamydosporia. New Phytologist 182: 213–228. , , , .
- 2012. Selection of Pinus spp. in South Africa for tolerance to infection by the pitch canker fungus. New Forests 43: 473–489. , , , , .
- 2001. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Fusarium oxysporum: an efficient tool for insertional mutagenesis and gene transfer. The American Phytopathological Society 91: 173–180. , , , , , .
- 2000. Wound-induced traumatic resin duct development in stems of Norway spruce (Pinaceae): anatomy and cytochemical traits. American Journal of Botany 87: 302–313. , , , , .
- 2005. Anatomical-based defense responses of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) stems to two fungal pathogens. Tree Physiology 26: 159–167. , , .
- 1999. Resin-based defenses in conifers. Trends in Plant Science 4: 184–190. , .
- 1967. Reactions of lodgepole pine to attack by Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins and blue stain fungus. Canadian Journal of Botany 45: 1115–1126. , , .
- 2004. Detection and quantification of airborne conidia of Fusarium circinatum, the causal agent of pine pitch canker, from two California sites by using a real-time PCR approach combined with a simple spore trapping method. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 70: 3512–3520. , , .
- 1918. Factors determining character and distribution of food reserve in woody plants. Botanical Gazete 66: 162–175. .
- 1990. Relation between wilt rate and obstruction of water flow in stems of two families of loblolly pine affected by pitch canker. Europaeische Zeitschrift fuer Forstpathologie 20: 317–320. , .
- 2008. Phases of infection and gene expression of Fusarium graminearum during crown rot disease of wheat. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 21: 1571–1581. , , , , .
- 1999a. Evidence of resistance to the pitch canker pathogen in native stands of Monterey pine. Forest Science 45: 500–505. , , , .
- 1940. Internal formation of conidia of the rice blast fungus. Annual Phytopathology Society 10: 265–268. .
- 2008. Pre-infection behavior of the pitch canker fungus Fusarium circinatum on pine stems. The Plant Pathology Journal 24: 112–117. , , , , .
- 1994. First report of Fusarium subglutinans f. sp. pini on pine seedlings in South Africa. Plant Disease 78: 309–312. , , .
- 2002. First report of the pitch canker fungus, Fusarium circinatum, on pines in Chile. Plant Pathology 51: 397. , , , , .
- 2010. Differential colonization and defense responses of resistant and susceptible melon lines infected by Fusarium oxysporum race 1·2. Plant Pathology 59: 576–585. , , , , , , .