Concurrent measurements of change in the bark and xylem diameters of trees reveal a phloem-generated turgor signal
Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 4, pages 1143–1154, June 2013
How to Cite
Mencuccini, M., Hölttä, T., Sevanto, S. and Nikinmaa, E. (2013), Concurrent measurements of change in the bark and xylem diameters of trees reveal a phloem-generated turgor signal. New Phytologist, 198: 1143–1154. doi: 10.1111/nph.12224
- Issue online: 7 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 OCT 2012
- Integrated Carbon Observation System (ICOS)
- Instrumentation for Measuring European Carbon Cycle (IMECC)
- Academy of Finland. Grant Numbers: #140781, #1132561
- (NERC. Grant Number: NE/I011749/1
- 2011. Seasonal and episodic moisture controls on plant and microbial contributions to soil respiration. Oecologia 167: 265–278. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Diurnal variation in the stable isotope composition of water and dry matter in fruiting Lupinus angustifolius under field conditions. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 893–907. , , .
- 2010. Development and verification of a water and sugar transport model using measured stem diameter variations. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 2083–2099. , .
- 2012. MRI links stem water content to stem diameter variations in transpiring trees. Journal of Experimental Botany 63: 2645–2653. , , , , .
- 2008. Predicting the decline in daily maximum transpiration rate of two pine stands during drought based on constant minimum leaf water potential and plant hydraulic conductance. Tree Physiology 28: 265–276. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Data analysis using regression and multilevel/hierarchical models. Cambridge, UK & New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2001. A biophysical analysis of stem and root diameter variations in woody plants. Plant Physiology 126: 188–202. , , , , , , .
- 2010. CRC handbook of chemistry and physics, 91st edn. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press. .
- 2011. Exploring the “overflow tap” theory: linking forest soil CO2 fluxes and individual mycorrhizosphere components to photosynthesis. Biogeosciences Discussions 8: 3155–3201. , , , , , , .
- 1980. The composition of phloem exudate and xylem sap from tree tobacco (Nicotiana glauca Grah.). Annals of Botany 45: 633–643. .
- 2006. Modeling xylem and phloem water flows in trees according to cohesion theory and Münch hypothesis. Trees: Structure and Function 20: 67–78. , , , , .
- 2010. Measurements and their uncertainty. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. , .
- 2001. Seasonal root growth of Scots pine seedlings in relation to shoot phenology, carbohydrate status, and nutrient supply. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 31: 1569–1578. , , .
- 1997. Continuous measurements of water tensions in the xylem of trees based on the elastic properties of wood. Planta 202: 455–461. , .
- 1971. Stem diameter in relation to plant water status. Plant Physiology 48: 683–685. , , .
- 2009. CO2 exchange and components CO2 fluxes of a boreal Scots pine forest. Boreal Environment Research 14: 761–783. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Time lag between photosynthesis and CO2 efflux from soil: a review. Global Change Biology 16: 3386–3406. , .
- 2001. Spatial and temporal variation in respiration in a young ponderosa pine forest during a summer drought. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 110: 27–43. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Adjustment of tree structure in response to the environment under hydraulic constraints. Functional Ecology 16: 385–393. , , .
- 2001. Hydraulic conductivity and mercury-sensitive water transport for roots of Opuntia acanthocarpa in relation to soil drying and rewetting. Plant Physiology 126: 352–362. , , .
- 2010a. The significance of phloem transport for the speed of link between canopy photosynthesis and belowground respiration. New Phytologist 185: 189–203. , .
- 2010b. On light bulbs and marbles. Transfer times and teleconnections in plant fluid transport systems. New Phytologist 187: 888–891. , .
- 2011. Seasonality in a boreal forest ecosystem affects the use of soil temperature and moisture as predictors of soil CO2 efflux. Biogeosciences Discussions 8: 2811–2849. , , .
- 2012. Assimilate transport in phloem sets conditions for leaf gas exchange. Plant, Cell & Environment 36: 655–669. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Physiochemical and environmental plant physiology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. .
- 2006. Towards a standardized processing of Net Ecosystem Exchange measured with eddy covariance technique: algorithms and uncertainty estimation. Biogeosciences 3: 571–583. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Uptake, partitioning and utilization of carbon and nitrogen in the phloem bleeding tree, Tasmanian blue gum (Eucalyptus globulus). Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 869–884. , .
- 2001. Tree stem diameter variations and transpiration in Scots pine: an analysis using a dynamic sap flow model. Tree Physiology 21: 889–897. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Mixed-effects models in S and S-PLUS. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag. , .
- R Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL: http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2005. On the separation of net ecosystem exchange into assimilation and ecosystem respiration: review and improved algorithm. Global Change Biology 11: 1424–1439. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Effects of drought on allocation of recent carbon: from beech leaves to soil respiration. New Phytologist 184: 950–961. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Determination of thermal expansion of green wood and the accuracy of tree stem diameter variation measurements. Boreal Environment Research 10: 437–445. , , , , .
- 2011. Effects of the hydraulic coupling between xylem and phloem on diurnal phloem diameter variations. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 690–703. , , .
- 2002. Time lags for xylem and stem diameter variations in a Scots pine tree. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1071–1077. , , , .
- 2003. Sugar transport together with environmental conditions controls time lags between xylem and stem diameter changes. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1257–1265. , , , .
- 1976. Translocation from leaves to fruits of a legume studied by a phloem bleeding technique. Diurnal changes and effects of continuous darkness. Planta 128: 63–72. , .
- 1993. Diurnal changes in stem diameter depend upon variations in water content: direct evidence in peach trees. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 615–621. , , , .
- 2011. Could rapid diameter changes be facilitated by a variable hydraulic conductance. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 150–157. , , , .
- 2006. A mathematical model linking tree sap flow dynamics to daily stem diameter fluctuations and radial stem growth. Tree Physiology 26: 257–273. , , , .
- 2005. Tree photosynthesis modulates soil respiration on a diurnal time scale. Global Change Biology 11: 1298–1304. , , .
- 2004. Scaling phloem transport: information transmission. Plant Cell & Environment 27: 509–519. , .
- 2011. On the multi-temporal correlation between photosynthesis and soil CO2 efflux: reconciling lags and observations. New Phytologist 191: 1006–1017. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Effect of thinning on surface fluxes in a boreal forest. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 19: 1–11. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. MRI of long-distance water transport: a comparison of the phloem and xylem flow characteristics and dynamics in poplar, castor bean, tomato and tobacco. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1715–1729. , , , .
- 1969. Translocation velocity and specific mass transfer in the sieve tubes of Fraxinus americana L. Planta 84: 272–278. .
- 2001. Link between diurnal stem radius changes and tree water relations. Tree Physiology 21: 869–877. , , .