Association genetics of oleoresin flow in loblolly pine: discovering genes and predicting phenotype for improved resistance to bark beetles and bioenergy potential
Article first published online: 28 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 199, Issue 1, pages 89–100, July 2013
How to Cite
Westbrook, J. W., Resende, M. F. R., Munoz, P., Walker, A. R., Wegrzyn, J. L., Nelson, C. D., Neale, D. B., Kirst, M., Huber, D. A., Gezan, S. A., Peter, G. F. and Davis, J. M. (2013), Association genetics of oleoresin flow in loblolly pine: discovering genes and predicting phenotype for improved resistance to bark beetles and bioenergy potential. New Phytologist, 199: 89–100. doi: 10.1111/nph.12240
- Issue published online: 28 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 28 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 JAN 2013
- National Science Foundation Plant Genome Research Program. Grant Number: 0501763
- United States Department of Agriculture CSREES Food and Agricultural Sciences National Needs Graduate Fellowship
- 2006. Metabolic engineering of terpenoid biosynthesis in plants. Phytochemistry Reviews 5: 49–58. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. EIN2, a bifunctional transducer of ethylene and stress responses in Arabidopsis. Science 284: 2148–2152. , , , , .
- 2011. Genetic effects on total phenolics, condensed tannins and non-structural carbohydrates in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) needles. Tree Physiology 31: 831–842. , , , .
- 2007. Genetic analysis of early field growth of loblolly pine clones and seedlings from the same full-sib families. Canadian Journal of Forest Research-Revue Canadienne De Recherche Forestiere 37: 195–205. , , , , .
- 2010. Climate change and bark beetles of the western United States and Canada: direct and indirect effects. BioScience 60: 602–613. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Plant terpenoid synthases: molecular biology and phylogenetic analysis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 4126–4133. , , .
- 2011. Efficacy of tree defense physiology varies with bark beetle population density: a basis for positive feedback in eruptive species. Canadian Journal of Forest Research-Revue Canadienne De Recherche Forestiere 41: 1174–1188. , , , , .
- 1964. An analysis of transformations. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series B 26: 211–252. , .
- 1980. Genetic variation of Scotch pine oleoresin physiology. Dissertation Abstracts International, B 40: 4047B. .
- 2011. Conifer expansion reduces the competitive ability and herbivore defense of aspen by modifying light environment and soil chemistry. Tree Physiology 31: 582–591. , , .
- 2005. Blast2GO: a universal tool for annotation, visualization and analysis in functional genomics research. Bioinformatics 21: 3674–3676. , , , , , .
- 2010. Patterns of population structure and environmental associations to aridity across the range of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda l., Pinaceae). Genetics 185: 969–982. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Association genetics of the loblolly pine (Pinus taeda, Pinaceae) metabolome. New Phytologist 193: 890–902. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Regional water resource implications of bioethanol production in the southeastern United States. Global Change Biology 15: 2261–2273. , .
- 2005. Anatomical and chemical defenses of conifer bark against bark beetles and other pests. New Phytologist 167: 353–375. , , , .
- 2009. Deregressing estimated breeding values and weighting information for genomic regression analyses. Genetics Selection Evolution 41: 1–8. , , .
- 2006. Comparison of experimental designs for clonal forestry using simulated data. Forest Science 52: 108–116. , , .
- 1989. Genotype–environment interactions and the maintenance of polygenic variation. Genetics 121: 129–138. , .
- 2009. ASReml user guide release 3.0. Hemel Hempstead, UK: VSN International Ltd. , , , .
- 2011. BAMD: Bayesian association model for genomic data with missing covariates. [WWW document] URL http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/BAMD/index.html [accessed on 31 December 2011]. , , .
- 2011. Genomic selection in forest tree breeding. Tree Genetics & Genomes 7: 241–255. , .
- 2011. Extension of the Bayesian alphabet for genomic selection. BMC Bioinformatics 12: 186. , , , .
- 2011. Evolution of diterpene metabolism: Sitka spruce CYP720B4 catalyzes multiple oxidations in resin acid biosynthesis of conifer defense against insects. Plant Physiology 157: 1677–1695. , , , , .
- 2010. High-density renewable fuels based on the selective dimerization of pinenes. Energy & Fuels 24: 267–273. , , .
- 2004. Methyl jasmonate-induced ethylene production is responsible for conifer phloem defense responses and reprogramming of stem cambial zone for traumatic resin duct formation. Plant Physiology 135: 2134–2149. , .
- 2001. A plant plasma membrane ATP binding cassette-type transporter is involved in antifungal terpenoid secretion. Plant Cell 13: 1095–1107. , , , , , .
- 2000. Taxol biosynthesis: taxane 13α-hydroxylase is a cytochrome P450-dependent monooxygenase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 13595–13600. , , , .
- 2012. Learning from nature: new approaches to the metabolic engineering of plant defense pathways. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 24: 1–9. , , , .
- 2010. Importance of resin ducts in reducing ponderosa pine mortality from bark beetle attack. Oecologia 164: 601–609. , .
- 2011. Transcriptome mining, functional characterization, and phylogeny of a large terpene synthase gene family in spruce (Picea spp.). BMC Plant Biology 11: 1–14. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Small sample inference for fixed effects from restricted maximum likelihood. Biometrics 53: 983–997. , .
- 2005. CYP90C1 and CYP90D1 are involved in different steps in the brassinosteroid biosynthesis pathway in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 41: 710–721. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Regulation of resin acid synthesis in Pinus densiflora by differential transcription of genes encoding multiple 1-deoxy-d-xylulose 5-phosphate synthase and 1-hydroxy-2-methyl-2-(e)-butenyl 4-diphosphate reductase genes. Tree Physiology 29: 737–749. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. 1-hydroxy-2-methyl-2-(e)-butenyl 4-diphosphate reductase (IDS) is encoded by multicopy genes in gymnosperms Ginkgo biloba and Pinus taeda. Planta 227: 287–298. , , , , , .
- 2005. Effects of diterpene acids on components of a conifer bark beetle–fungal interaction: tolerance by Ips pini and sensitivity by its associate Ophiostoma ips. Environmental Entomology 34: 486–493. , , , , .
- 2008. Mountain pine beetle and forest carbon feedback to climate change. Nature 452: 987–990. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Combining metabolic and protein engineering of a terpenoid biosynthetic pathway for overproduction and selectivity control. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 13654–13659. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Simultaneous SNP identification in association studies with missing data. Annals of Applied Statistics 6: 432–456. , , , , .
- 1986. Growth-differentiation balance – a basis for understanding southern pine–beetle tree interactions. Forest Ecology and Management 14: 259–273. .
- 1986. Evidence of competition for photosynthates between growth processes and oleoresin synthesis in Pinus taeda L. Tree Physiology 2: 301–306. , .
- 2009. Widespread increase of tree mortality rates in the western United States. Science 323: 521–524. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Prediction of total genetic value using genome-wide dense marker maps. Genetics 157: 1819–1829. , , .
- 2009. Ecological modulation of plant defense via phytochrome control of jasmonate sensitivity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 4935–4940. , , , .
- 2013. Genomic relationship matrix for correcting pedigree errors in breeding populations: impact on genetic parameters and genomic selection accuracy. Crop Science, in press. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Plant phenotypic plasticity in a changing climate. Trends in Plant Science 15: 684–692. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The southern pine beetle prevention initiative: working for healthier forests. Journal of Forestry 106: 261–267. , , , .
- 2007. Mutual regulation of Arabidopsis thaliana ethylene-responsive element binding protein and a plant floral homeotic gene, APETELA2. Annals of Botany 99: 239–244. , , .
- 1997. Interactions among scolytid bark beetles, their associated fungi, and live host conifers. Annual Review of Entomology 42: 179–206. , , .
- 1976. New class of resolvable incomplete block designs. Biometrika 63: 83–92. , .
- 2010. Advanced biofuel production in microbes. Biotechnology Journal 5: 147–162. , .
- 2011. Identification and microbial production of a terpene-based advanced biofuel. Nature Communications 2: 1–8. , , , , , .
- 1999. Resin-based defenses in conifers. Trends in Plant Science 4: 184–190. , .
- 2000. Association mapping in structured populations. American Journal of Human Genetics 67: 170–181. , , , .
- R Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria. [WWW document] URL http://www.R-project.org/ [accessed on 31 December 2011].
- 2008. Cross-scale drivers of natural disturbances prone to anthropogenic amplification: the dynamics of bark beetle eruptions. BioScience 58: 501–517. , , , , , , .
- 2012a. Accelerating the domestication of trees using genomic selection: accuracy of prediction models across ages and environments. New Phytologist 193: 617–624. , , , , , , , .
- 2012b. Accuracy of genomic selection methods in a standard data set of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.). Genetics 190: 1503–1510. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Loblolly pine abietadienol/abietadienal oxidase ptao (cyp720b1) is a multifunctional, multisubstrate cytochrome P450 monooxygenase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 8060–8065. , , , , .
- 2003. Estimates of genetic parameters for oleoresin and growth traits in juvenile loblolly pine. Canadian Journal of Forest Research-Revue Canadienne De Recherche Forestiere 33: 2469–2476. , , , , , .
- 2002. Elucidation of the methylerythritol phosphate pathway for isoprenoid biosynthesis in bacteria and plastids. A metabolic milestone achieved through genomics. Plant Physiology 130: 1079–1089. , .
- 2004. Genetic parameters and selection gains for oleoresin production in Pinus elliottii var. elliottii, in south of São Paulo state. Revista do Instituto Florestal 16: 11–23. , .
- 2008. Cloning and characterization of two different types of geranyl diphosphate synthases from Norway spruce (Picea abies). Phytochemistry 69: 49–57. , .
- 2011. Induction of isoprenyl diphosphate synthases, plant hormones and defense signalling genes correlates with traumatic resin duct formation in Norway spruce (Picea abies). Plant Molecular Biology 77: 577–590. , , , , , .
- 2011. Preselection of markers for genomic selection. BMC Proceedings 5(Suppl 3): S12. , , .
- 1961. Inheritance of gum yield and other characteristics of slash pine. In: Proceedings of the Sixth Southern Conference on Forest Tree Improvement. Gainesville, FL: School of Forestry, University of Florida, 85–96. , .
- 2002. Oleoresin characteristics of progeny of loblolly pines that escaped attack by southern pine beetle. Forest Ecology and Management 158: 169–178. , , , , .
- 1984. Chemical stimulation of lightwood in Southern pines. In: General Technical Report SE-25, Asheville, NC, USA: US Forest Service, 1–50. , , .
- 1983. Computer-assisted image-analysis of tissues of ethrel-treated Pinus taeda seedlings. Plant Physiology 72: 177–181. , , .
- 2001. Defensive resin biosynthesis in conifers. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 689–724. , .
- 2006. Assumption-free estimation of heritability from genome-wide identity-by-descent sharing between full siblings. PLOS Genetics 2: 316–325. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Forest management treatments, tree resistance, and bark beetle resource utilization in ponderosa pine forests of northern Arizona. Forest Ecology and Management 255: 3263–3269. , , , .
- 2013. A specialized ABC efflux transporter GcABC-G1 confers monoterpene resistance to Grosmannia clavigera, a bark beetle-associated fungal pathogen of pine trees. New Phytologist 197: 886–898. , , , , .
- 2009. Modeling the impacts of two bark beetle species under a warming climate in the southwestern USA: ecological and economic consequences. Environmental Management 44: 824–835. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Breeding program of conifers. In: Walter C, Carson M, eds. Plantation forest biotechnology for the 21st century. Research Signpost, 61–85. , .
- 1984. Observations on the physiological-mechanisms and chemical-constituents of induced oleoresin synthesis in Pinus resinosa. Canadian Journal of Forest Research-Revue Canadienne De Recherche Forestiere 14: 452–458. , .
- 2010. Common SNPs explain a large proportion of the heritability for human height. Nature Genetics 42: 565–569. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Transgene x environment interactions in genetically modified wheat. PLoS ONE 5: 7. , , , , .
- 2010. Terpenoid biosynthesis and specialized vascular cells of conifer defense. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 52: 86–97. , .