These authors contributed equally to this work.
A meta-analysis of experimental warming effects on terrestrial nitrogen pools and dynamics
Version of Record online: 4 APR 2013
© 2013 Chinese Academy of Science. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 199, Issue 2, pages 441–451, July 2013
How to Cite
Bai, E., Li, S., Xu, W., Li, W., Dai, W. and Jiang, P. (2013), A meta-analysis of experimental warming effects on terrestrial nitrogen pools and dynamics. New Phytologist, 199: 441–451. doi: 10.1111/nph.12252
- Issue online: 19 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 4 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 JAN 2013
- Major State Basic Research Development Program of China. Grant Number: 2011CB403202
- NSFC. Grant Number: 31100326
- Key Program of the Chinese Academy of Sciences Project. Grant Number: KZCX2-YWBR-20
- 2009. Appropriate experimental ecosystem warming methods by ecosystem, objective, and practicality. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 1791–1799. , .
- 2003. Thermal acclimation and the dynamic response of plant respiration to temperature. Trends in Plant Science 8: 343–351. , .
- 2003. Patterns of community change among ammonia oxidizers in meadow soils upon long-term incubation at different temperatures. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 6152–6164. , .
- 2009. Coupled isotopic and process-based modeling of gaseous nitrogen losses from tropical rain forests. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 23: doi: 10.1029/2008GB003361. , .
- 2008. Effect of heat-induced disturbance on microbial biomass and activity in forest soil and the relationship between disturbance effects and microbial community structure. Applied Soil Ecology 40: 109–119. , .
- 2005. Global change, nitrification, and denitrification: a review. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 19: GB1007, doi: 10.1029/2004GB002282. , , .
- 2000. Kinetics of nutrient uptake by roots: responses to global change. New Phytologist 147: 155–169. .
- 2008. Carbon and nitrogen cycles in European ecosystems respond differently to global warming. Science of the Total Environment 407: 692–697. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Effects of temperature and fertilization on nitrogen cycling and community composition of an urban lawn. Global Change Biology 14: 2119–2131. , , , .
- 2008. Thermal adaptation of soil microbial respiration to elevated temperature. Ecology Letters 11: 1316–1327. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Influence of temperature on the composition and activity of denitrifying soil communities. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 73: 134–148. , , .
- 2012. The effect of experimental warming and precipitation change on proteolytic enzyme activity: positive feedbacks to nitrogen availability are not universal. Global Change Biology 18: 2617–2625. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Soil warming alters nitrogen cycling in a New England forest: implications for ecosystem function and structure. Oecologia 168: 819–828. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Four years of experimental climate change modifies the microbial drivers of N2O fluxes in an upland grassland ecosystem. Global Change Biology 18: 2520–2531. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Controls over soil nitrogen pools in a semiarid grassland under elevated CO2 and warming. Ecosystems 15: 761–774. , , , , .
- 2000. Responses of nitrous oxide, dinitrogen and carbon dioxide production and oxygen consumption to temperature in forest and agricultural light-textured soils determined by model experiment. Biology and Fertility of Soils 32: 67–72. .
- 2007. Controls on soil nitrogen cycling and microbial community composition across land use and incubation temperature. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 39: 744–756. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of elevated CO2 effects on woody plant mass, form, and physiology. Oecologia 113: 299–313. , .
- 2001. Temperature responses of carbon mineralization in conifer forest soils from different regional climates incubated under standard laboratory conditions. Global Change Biology 7: 181–192. , , , .
- 2002. Temperature responses of net nitrogen mineralization and nitrification in conifer forest soils incubated under standard laboratory conditions. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 34: 691–701. , , , .
- 2006. Temperature sensitivity of soil carbon decomposition and feedbacks to climate change. Nature 440: 165–173. , .
- 2010. Contrasting effects of elevated CO2 and warming on nitrogen cycling in a semiarid grassland. New Phytologist 187: 426–437. , , , , , .
- 2012. Effects of elevated carbon dioxide and increased temperature on methane and nitrous oxide fluxes: evidence from field experiments. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10: 520–527. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Soil temperature and plant growth stage influence nitrogen uptake and amino acid concentration of apple during early spring growth. Tree Physiology 21: 541–547. , , , , .
- 2005. The response of heterotrophic CO2 flux to soil warming. Global Change Biology 11: 167–181. , , , , , .
- 1992. Leaf mass per area, nitrogen content and photosynthetic carbon gain in Acer saccharum seedlings in contrasting forest light environments. Functional Ecology 6: 423–435. , .
- 2009. Allocation of vegetation biomass across a climate-related gradient in the grasslands of Inner Mongolia. Journal of Arid Environments 73: 521–528. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Effects of simulated elevated concentration of atmospheric CO2 and temperature on soil enzyme activity in the subalpine fir forest. Acta Ecologica Sinica 27: 4019–4026. , , , , , .
- 2003. Influence of drying–rewetting frequency on soil bacterial community structure. Microbial Ecology 45: 63–71. , , .
- 2008. Microbial biomass, functional capacity, and community structure after 12 years of soil warming. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 40: 2904–2907. , , , .
- 2008. Transformation of the nitrogen cycle: recent trends, questions, and potential solutions. Science 320: 889–892. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Field and laboratory experiments on net uptake of nitrate and ammonium by the roots of spruce (Picea abies) and beech (Fagus sylvatica) trees. New Phytologist 138: 275–285. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Immediate and adaptational temperature effects on nitric oxide production and nitrous oxide release from nitrification and denitrification in two soils. Biology and Fertility of Soils 30: 33–40. , .
- 2009. Challenges to incorporating spatially and temporally explicit phenomena (hotspots and hot moments) in denitrification models. Biogeochemistry 93: 49–77. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of mild winter freezing on soil nitrogen and carbon dynamics in a northern hardwood forest. Biogeochemistry 56: 191–213. , , , , , .
- 2008. An Earth-system perspective of the global nitrogen cycle. Nature 451: 293–296. , .
- 1993. Meta-analysis: combining the results of independent experiments. In: Scheiner SM, Gurevitch J, eds. Design and analysis of ecological experiments. New York, NY, USA: Chapman and Hall, 378–398. , .
- 1999. The meta-analysis of response ratios in experimental ecology. Ecology 80: 1150–1156. , , .
- 2012. Warming accelerates decomposition of decades-old carbon in forest soils. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: E1753–E1761. , , .
- 2009. Quantifying photosynthetic capacity and its relationship to leaf nitrogen content for global-scale terrestrial biosphere models. Global Change Biology 15: 976–991. , , , .
- 2007. Temperature sensitivity of microbial respiration, nitrogen mineralization, and potential soil enzyme activities in organic alpine soils. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 21: GB4017, doi: 10.1029/2007GB002983. , , .
- 2009. Predominant role of water in regulating soil and microbial respiration and their responses to climate change in a semiarid grassland. Global Change Biology 15: 184–195. , , .
- 2000. Effects of elevated CO2, temperature and N fertilization on nitrogen fluxes in a temperate grassland ecosystem. Global Change Biology 6: 953–965. , .
- Responses of ecosystem carbon cycle to experimental warming: a meta-analysis. Ecology, doi: 10.1890/12-0279.1 , , , , , , , , . (in press).
- 2006. Elevated CO2 stimulates net accumulations of carbon and nitrogen in land ecosystems: a meta-analysis. Ecology 87: 53–63. , , .
- 2004. Progressive nitrogen limitation of ecosystem responses to rising atmospheric carbon dioxide. BioScience 54: 731–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Nitrous oxide emission by nitrification and denitrification in different soil types and at different soil moisture contents and temperatures. Applied Soil Ecology 4: 5–14. , .
- 1966. Nitrifying organisms affected by climatic region in Western United States. Soil Science Society of America Journal 30: 60–62. , , .
- 1982. Nitrification in three Alberta soils: effect of temperature, moisture and substrate concentration. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 14: 393–399. , .
- 2002. Soil warming and carbon-cycle feedbacks to the climate system. Science 298: 2173–2176. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Effect of temperature on humus respiration rate and nitrogen mineralization: implications for global climate change. Biogeochemistry 44: 239–257. , , .
- 2008. Canopy nitrogen, carbon assimilation, and albedo in temperate and boreal forests: functional relations and potential climate feedbacks. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 19336–19341. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Net N mineralization and nitrification rates in a forested ecosystem in northeastern Taiwan. Forest Ecology and Management 176: 519–530. , , , , .
- 2007. Projected ecosystem impact of the Prairie Heating and CO2 Enrichment experiment. New Phytologist 174: 823–834. , , , .
- 2010. Effect of soil warming and rainfall patterns on soil N cycling in Northern Europe. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 139: 195–205. , , , .
- 2004. Below-ground process responses to elevated CO2 and temperature: a discussion of observations, measurement methods, and models. New Phytologist 162: 311–322. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Ecological dynamics across the arctic associated with recent climate change. Science 325: 1355–1358. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Nitrous oxide (N2O): the dominant ozone-depleting substance emitted in the 21st century. Science 326: 123–125. , , .
- 1994. Photosynthesis-nitrogen relations in Amazonian tree species. Oecologia 97: 62–72. , , , .
- 1995. Different photosynthesis–nitrogen relations in deciduous hardwood and evergreen coniferous tree species. Oecologia 104: 24–30. , , , .
- 2012. Global warming under old and new scenarios using IPCC climate sensitivity range estimates. Nature Climate Change 2: 248–253. , , .
- 2000. MetaWin: Statistical software for meta-analysis. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , , .
- 1998. Experimental soil warming effects on CO2 and CH4 flux from a low elevation spruce–fir forest soil in Maine, USA. Global Change Biology 4: 597–605. , .
- 2001. A meta-analysis of the response of soil respiration, net nitrogen mineralization, and aboveground plant growth to experimental ecosystem warming. Oecologia 126: 543–562. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Temperature dependence of nitrification, denitrification, and turnover of nitric oxide in different soils. Biology and Fertility of Soils 15: 21–27. , .
- 2001. Tree and forest functioning in response to global warming. New Phytologist 149: 369–399. , , , , .
- 2001. Response of nitrogen cycling to simulated climate change: differential responses along a subalpine ecotone. Global Change Biology 7: 193–210. , .
- 2003. Exchange of greenhouse gases between soil and atmosphere: interactions of soil physical factors and biological processes. European Journal of Soil Science 54: 779–791. , , , , , .
- 2008. Influence of temperature and soil water content on bacterial, archaeal and denitrifying microbial communities in drained fen grassland soil microcosms. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 66: 110–122. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Nitrifiers and denitrifiers respond rapidly to changed moisture and increasing temperature in a pristine forest soil. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 72: 395–406. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Winter wheat roots grow twice as deep as spring wheat roots, is this important for N uptake and N leaching losses? Plant and Soil 322: 101–114. , , .
- 1988. Ecology of denitrification and dissimilatory nitrate reduction. In: Zehnder AJB, ed. Biology of anaerobic organisms. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons, 179–244. .
- 2001. Effect of temperature on below-ground N-dynamics in a weedy model ecosystem at ambient and elevated atmospheric CO2 levels. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 33: 491–501. , , .
- 2002. The relative impacts of daytime and night-time warming on photosynthetic capacity in Populus deltoides. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1729–1737. , , .
- 2010. Net nitrogen mineralization and leaching in response to warming and nitrogen deposition in a temperate old field: the importance of winter temperature. Oecologia 162: 227–236. , .
- 2003. Landscape patterns of net nitrification in a Northern Hardwood-Conifer Forest. Soil Science Society of America Journal 67: 527–539. , , , .
- 2009. Impacts of an anomalously warm year on soil nitrogen availability in experimentally manipulated intact tallgrass prairie ecosystems. Global Change Biology 15: 888–900. , , , , , .
- 2005. Direct and indirect effects of experimental warming on ecosystem carbon processes in a tallgrass prairie. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 19: GB2014. , , , .
- 2002. Low winter soil temperature affects summertime nutrient uptake capacity and growtht rate of mountain birch seedlings in the subarctic, Swedish lapland. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research 34: 434–439. , .
- 2011. Soil temperature response to 21st century global warming: the role of and some implications for peat carbon in thawing permafrost soils in North America. Earth System Dynamics 2: 121–138. , , , , .
- 2009. Initial community evenness favours functionality under selective stress. Nature 458: 623–626. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Biogeochemical and ecological feedbacks in grassland responses to warming. Nature Climate Change 2: 458–461. , , , .
- 2012. Effects of experimental warming on soil N transformations of two coniferous species, Eastern Tibetan Plateau, China. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 50: 77–84. , , .
- 2005. Soil microbial responses to experimental warming and clipping in a tallgrass prairie. Global Change Biology 11: 266–277. , , , , , .