Arabidopsis phospholipase Dβ1 modulates defense responses to bacterial and fungal pathogens
Version of Record online: 12 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 199, Issue 1, pages 228–240, July 2013
How to Cite
Zhao, J., Devaiah, S. P., Wang, C., Li, M., Welti, R. and Wang, X. (2013), Arabidopsis phospholipase Dβ1 modulates defense responses to bacterial and fungal pathogens. New Phytologist, 199: 228–240. doi: 10.1111/nph.12256
- Issue online: 28 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 12 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 JAN 2013
- the National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: IOS-0818740, MCB-0922879
- US Department of Agriculture
- the National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: EPS 0236913, MCB 0455318, 0920663, DBI 0521587
- 2006. Bacterial elicitation and evasion of plant innate immunity. Nature Review of Molecular Cell Biology 7: 601–611. , , .
- 2006. Phospholipase-dependent signalling during the AvrRpm1- and AvrRpt2-induced disease resistance responses in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 47: 947–959. , , , , .
- 2006. LePLDbeta1 activation and relocalization in suspension-cultured tomato cells treated with xylanase. Plant Journal 45: 358–368. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2002. Involvement of the Arabidopsis alpha- DOX1 fatty acid dioxygenase in protection against oxidative stress and cell death. Plant Journal 29: 61–62. , , , .
- 2006. Quantitative profiling of polar glycerolipid species and the role of phospholipase Dα1 in defining the lipid species in Arabidopsis tissues. Phytochemistry 67: 1907–1924. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Inhibition of ascorbate peroxidase by salicylic acid and 2,6-dichloroisonicotinic acid, two inducers of plant defense responses. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 11312–11316. , .
- 2004. Systemic acquired resistance. Annual Review of Phytopathology 42: 185–209. , .
- 2003. Nod factor and elicitors activate different phospholipid signaling pathways in suspension-cultured alfalfa cells. Plant Physiology 132: 311–317. , , .
- 2005. Contrasting mechanisms of defense against biotrophic and necrotrophic pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology 43: 205–227. .
- 2006. The plant immune system. Nature 444: 323–329. , .
- 2004. Phosphatidic acid accumulation is an early response in the Cf-4/Avr4 interaction. Plant Journal 39: 1–12. , , , , , .
- 2009. SOBER1 phospholipase activity suppresses phosphatidic acid accumulation and plant immunity in response to bacterial effector AvrBsT. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 20532–20537. , .
- 2001. Characterization of five tomato phospholipase D cDNAs: rapid and specific expression of LePLDbeta1 on elicitation with xylanase. Plant Journal 26: 237–247. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A putative lipid transfer protein involved in systemic resistance signaling in Arabidopsis. Nature 419: 399–403. , , , , .
- 2000. Salicylic acid mediated by the oxidative burst is a key molecule in local and systemic responses of cotton challenged by an avirulent race of Xanthomonas campestris pv malvacearum. Plant Physiology 122: 757–766. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The Arabidopsis thaliana dihydroxyacetone phosphate reductase gene SUPPRESSSOR OF FATTY ACID DESATURASE DEFICIENCY1 is required for glycerolipid metabolism and for the activation of systemic acquired resistance. Plant Cell 16: 465–477. , , .
- 2008. Simultaneous quantification of major phytohormones and related compounds in crude plant extracts by liquid chromatography–electrospray tandem mass spectrometry. Phytochemistry 69: 1773–1781. , , .
- 1997. Molecular cloning and functional analysis of polyphospho inositide-dependent phospholipase D, PLDβ, from Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 7055–7061. , , , , .
- 2004. Phosphatidic acid induces leaf cell death in Arabidopsis by activating the Rho-related small G protein GTPase-mediated pathway of reactive oxygen species generation. Plant Physiology 134: 129–136. , , , , .
- 2000. Jasmonic acid signaling modulates ozone-induced hypersensitive cell death. Plant Cell 12: 1633–1646. , , , , .
- 1997. Inhibition of phospholipase D by lysophosphatidylethanolamine, a lipid-derived senescence retardant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 12717–12721. , , , .
- 1996. Activation of phospholipase D and the possible mechanism of activation in wound-induced lipid hydrolysis in castor bean leaves. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1303: 243–250. , .
- 2001. Phospholipase D- and phosphatidic acid-mediated generation of superoxide in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 126: 1449–1458. , , .
- 2003. NPR1 modulates cross-talk between salicylate- and jasmonate-dependent defense pathways through a novel function in the cytosol. Plant Cell 15: 760–770. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Arabidopsis systemic immunity uses conserved defense signaling pathways and is mediated by jasmonates. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 1075–1080. , , , , .
- 2000. Elicitation of suspension-cultured tomato cells triggers the formation of phosphatidic acid and diacylglycerol pyrophosphate. Plant Physiology 123: 1507–1515. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Involvement of phospholipase D in wound-induced accumulation of jasmonic acid in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 12: 2237–2246. , , , , , .
- 2006. Signaling functions of phosphatidic acid. Progress in Lipid Research 45: 250–278. , , , .
- 2002. Profiling membrane lipids in plant stress responses: role of phospholipase D alpha in freezing-induced lipid changes in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 31994–32002. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Suppression of a phospholipase D gene, OsPLDbeta1, activates defense responses and increases disease resistance in rice. Plant Physiology 150: 308–319. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. AtPLAI is an acyl hydrolase involved in basal jasmonic acid production and Arabidopsis resistance to Botrytis cinerea. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282: 18116–18128. , , , , , .
- 2002. Differential expression of genes encoding Arabidopsis phospholipases after challenge with virulent or avirulent Pseudomonas isolates. Molecular Plant Microbe Interaction 15: 808–816. , , , , .
- 2004. Phospholipase Dα1-derived phosphatidic acid interacts with ABI1 phosphatase 2C and regulates abscisic acid signaling. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 9508–9513. , , , .
- 2003. The oleate-stimulated phospholipase D, PLDdelta, and phosphatidic acid decrease H2O2-induced cell death in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 15: 2285–2295. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Phospholipase Dα1 and phosphatidic acid regulate NADPH oxidase activity and production of reactive oxygen species in ABA-mediated stomatal closure in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 2357–2377. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Suppression of phospholipase Dγs confers increased aluminum resistance in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS ONE 6: e28086. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Distinct calcium binding properties of novel C2 domains of plant phospholipase Dα and β. Journal of Biological Chemistry 275: 19700–19706. , , , .
- 2002. Activation of plant phospholipase D by phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate: characterization of binding site and mode of action. Biochemistry 41: 4546–4553. , , , .