Geminivirus Rep protein interferes with the plant DNA methylation machinery and suppresses transcriptional gene silencing
Article first published online: 24 APR 2013
No claim to original Spanish government works. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 199, Issue 2, pages 464–475, July 2013
How to Cite
Rodríguez-Negrete, E., Lozano-Durán, R., Piedra-Aguilera, A., Cruzado, L., Bejarano, E. R. and Castillo, A. G. (2013), Geminivirus Rep protein interferes with the plant DNA methylation machinery and suppresses transcriptional gene silencing. New Phytologist, 199: 464–475. doi: 10.1111/nph.12286
- Issue published online: 19 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 24 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 DEC 2012
- Spanish Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología. Grant Number: AGL2010-22287-C02-02
- Junta de Andalucía. Grant Number: P07-CVI-02605
- 2010. Epigenetic control of plant immunity. Molecular Plant Pathology 11: 563–576. , , .
- 2008. Global analysis of arabidopsis gene expression uncovers a complex array of changes impacting pathogen response and cell cycle during geminivirus infection. Plant Physiology 148: 436–454. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Analysis of silencing escape of tomato leaf curl virus: an evaluation of the role of DNA methylation. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 19: 614–624. , , , .
- 1992. DNA methylation inhibits propagation of tomato golden mosaic virus DNA in transfected protoplasts. Plant Molecular Biology 18: 703–712. , , , , , .
- 2009. Geminivirus al2 and l2 proteins suppress transcriptional gene silencing and cause genome-wide reductions in cytosine methylation. Journal of Virology 83: 5005–5013. , , , , .
- 2011. Viral suppressors of RNA silencing. Trends in Plant Science 16: 265–272. , .
- 2002. Locus-specific control of asymmetric and cpnpg methylation by the drm and cmt3 methyltransferase genes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99(Suppl 4): 16491–16498. , .
- 2012. C2 from beet curly top virus promotes a cell environment suitable for efficient replication of geminiviruses, providing a novel mechanism of viral synergism. New Phytologist 194: 846–858. , , , , , .
- 2007. Identification of tobacco genes encoding proteins possessing removal activity of 5-methylcytosines from intact tobacco DNA. Plant Biotechnology 24: 339–344. , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2008. Shotgun bisulphite sequencing of the arabidopsis genome reveals DNA methylation patterning. Nature 452: 215–219. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Direct and indirect roles of viral suppressors of rna silencing in pathogenesis. Annual Review of Phytopathology 46: 303–326. , .
- 2010. Rna-based antiviral immunity. Nature Reviews Immunology 10: 632–644. .
- 2012. Widespread dynamic DNA methylation in response to biotic stress. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: E2183–E2191. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Arabidopsis rpa2: a genetic link among transcriptional gene silencing, DNA repair, and DNA replication. Current Biology 15: 1919–1925. , , .
- 1988. Genetic analysis of the tomato golden mosaic virus. II. The product of the al1 coding sequence is required for replication. Nucleic Acids Research 16: 7043–7060. , , , , , .
- 1993. Cytosine methylation inhibits replication of african cassava mosaic virus by two distinct mechanisms. Nucleic Acids Research 21: 3445–3450. , , , , .
- 2008. Geminivirus strain demarcation and nomenclature. Archives of Virology 153: 783–821. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Kismeth: analyzer of plant methylation states through bisulfite sequencing. BMC Bioinformatics 9: 371. , , , , , .
- 2008. Recovery from cucurbit leaf crumple virus (family Geminiviridae, genus Begomovirus) infection is an adaptive antiviral response associated with changes in viral small rnas. Phytopathology 98: 1029–1037. , , , .
- 2004. Reprogramming plant gene expression: a prerequisite to geminivirus DNA replication. Molecular Plant Pathology 5: 149–156. , , .
- 2000. Pgreen: a versatile and flexible binary ti vector for agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Plant Molecular Biology 42: 819–832. , , , , .
- 2009. Geminiviruses. Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology 331: 185–226. .
- 2008. Retinoblastoma and its binding partner msi1 control imprinting in arabidopsis. PLoS Biology 6: e194. , , , , , .
- 2007. Expression of DNA methyltransferase 1 is activated by hepatitis b virus × protein via a regulatory circuit involving the p16ink4a-cyclin d1-cdk 4/6-prb-e2f1 pathway. Cancer Research 67: 5771–5778. , , , .
- 2007. Control of fwa gene silencing in Arabidopsis thaliana by sine-related direct repeats. Plant Journal 49: 38–45. , , , , , , .
- 2000. A geminivirus replication protein interacts with the retinoblastoma protein through a novel domain to determine symptoms and tissue specificity of infection in plants. EMBO Journal 19: 3485–3495. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Establishing, maintaining and modifying DNA methylation patterns in plants and animals. Nature Reviews Genetics 11: 204–220. , .
- 2010. Virus-derived small interfering RNAs at the core of plant–virus interactions. Trends in Plant Science 15: 701–707. .
- 2011a. Geminiviruses subvert ubiquitination by altering csn-mediated derubylation of scf e3 ligase complexes and inhibit jasmonate signaling in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 23: 1014–1032. , , , , , , .
- 2011b. Identification of host genes involved in geminivirus infection using a reverse genetics approach. PLoS ONE 6: e22383. , , , .
- 2007. Transgenerational stability of the arabidopsis epigenome is coordinated by cg methylation. Cell 130: 851–862. , , , , .
- 2006. Human polyomavirus BKV transcriptionally activates DNA methyltransferase 1 through the pRb/E2F pathway. Oncogene 25: 2727–2735. , , , .
- 2000. DNA methylation and chromatin structure affect transcriptional and post-transcriptional transgene silencing in arabidopsis. Current Biology 10: 1591–1594. , , , .
- 2006. A versatile transreplication-based system to identify cellular proteins involved in geminivirus replication. Journal of Virology 80: 3624–3633. , , , , .
- 2011. Conformation-selective methylation of geminivirus DNA. Journal of Virology 85: 12001–12012. , , , .
- 1992. Abutilon mosaic geminivirus double-stranded DNA is packed into minichromosomes. Virology 189: 800–802. , .
- 2003. Mapping of abutilon mosaic geminivirus minichromosomes. Journal of Virology 77: 10808–10818. , .
- 2008. Viral genome methylation as an epigenetic defense against geminiviruses. Journal of Virology 82: 8997–9007. , , , .
- 2010. RNA silencing directed against geminiviruses: post-transcriptional and epigenetic components. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1799: 337–351. , , .
- 2012. Development and functional analysis of novel genetic promoters using DNA shuffling, hybridization and a combination thereof. PLoS ONE 7: e31931. , , , , , .
- 2009. Rna silencing against geminivirus: complementary action of posttranscriptional gene silencing and transcriptional gene silencing in host recovery. Journal of Virology 83: 1332–1340. , , .
- 2005. Exploiting chinks in the plant's armor: evolution and emergence of geminiviruses. Annual Review of Phytopathology 43: 361–394. , , , .
- 2009. Roles of plant small RNAs in biotic stress responses. Annual Review of Plant Biology 60: 485–510. , .
- 2011. Interaction between geminivirus replication protein and the sumo-conjugating enzyme is required for viral infection. Journal of Virology 85: 9789–9800. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Begomovirus evolution and disease management. Advances in Virus Research 67: 297–316. , , .
- 2003. Transcriptional silencing of geminiviral promoter-driven transgenes following homologous virus infection. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 16: 429–438. , , , .
- 2007. Al1-dependent repression of transcription enhances expression of tomato golden mosaic virus AL2 and AL3. Virology 364: 112–122. , .
- 2010. Diversity and evolution of chromatin proteins encoded by DNA viruses. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1799: 302–318. , , .
- 1990. Genetic analysis of tomato golden mosaic virus: ORF AL2 is required for coat protein accumulation while ORF AL3 is necessary for efficient DNA replication. Virology 179: 69–77. , , , , .
- 2003. Erasure of CpG methylation in Arabidopsis alters patterns of histone H3 methylation in heterochromatin. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 8823–8827. , , , , , .
- 2003. Adenosine kinase is inactivated by geminivirus AL2 and l2 proteins. Plant Cell 15: 3020–3032. , , , , .
- 2011. Suppression of methylation-mediated transcriptional gene silencing by βC1-SAHH protein interaction during geminivirus-betasatellite infection. PLoS Pathogens 7: e1002329. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Bsctv c2 attenuates the degradation of samdc1 to suppress DNA methylation-mediated gene silencing in arabidopsis. Plant Cell 23: 273–288. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Genome-wide high-resolution mapping and functional analysis of DNA methylation in arabidopsis. Cell 126: 1189–1201. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Perception of the bacterial pamp ef-tu by the receptor efr restricts agrobacterium-mediated transformation. Cell 125: 749–760. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Technical advance: an estrogen receptor-based transactivator XVE mediates highly inducible gene expression in transgenic plants. Plant Journal 24: 265–273. , , .