Shoot desiccation and hydraulic failure in temperate woody angiosperms during an extreme summer drought
Version of Record online: 18 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Drought-induced forest mortality’
Volume 200, Issue 2, pages 322–329, October 2013
How to Cite
Nardini, A., Battistuzzo, M. and Savi, T. (2013), Shoot desiccation and hydraulic failure in temperate woody angiosperms during an extreme summer drought. New Phytologist, 200: 322–329. doi: 10.1111/nph.12288
- Issue online: 18 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 JAN 2013
- 2010. A global overview of drought and heath-induced tree mortality reveals emerging climate change risks for forests. Forest Ecology and Management 259: 660–684. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. The roles of hydraulic and carbon stress in a widespread climate-induced forest die-off. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: 233–237. , , , , , .
- 2013. Consequences of widespread tree mortality triggered by drought and temperature stress. Nature Climate Change 3: 30–36. , , .
- 2006. Impact of summer drought on forest biodiversity: what do we know? Annals of Forest Science 63: 645–652. , .
- 2006. Temperate forest trees and stands under severe drought: a review of ecophysiological responses, adaptation processes and long-term consequences. Annals of Forest Science 63: 625–644. , , , .
- 2009. Hydraulic failure defines the recovery and point of death in water-stressed conifers. Plant Physiology 149: 575–584. , .
- 2008. Growth and wood density predict tree mortality in Amazon forests. Journal of Ecology 96: 281–292. , , , , , .
- 2012. Global convergence in the vulnerability of forests to drought. Nature 491: 752–755. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Is xylem cavitation resistance a relevant criterion for screening drought resistance among Prunus species? Journal of Plant Physiology 165: 976–982. , , , .
- 2002. Shoot dieback during prolonged drought in Ceanothus (Rhamnaceae) chaparral of California: a possible case of hydraulic failure. American Journal of Botany 89: 820–828. , , , , , .
- 2011. How reliable is the double-ended pressure sleeve technique for assessing xylem vulnerability to cavitation in woody angiosperms? Physiologia Plantarum 142: 205–210. , , , .
- 2013. The importance of limestone bedrock and dissolution karst features on tree root distribution in northern Yucatán, Mèxico. Plant and Soil 362: 37–50. , , , , .
- 2009. Drought-induced tree death in savanna. Global Change Biology 15: 380–387. , , .
- 2012. No evidence for depletion of carbohydrate pools in Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) under drought stress. Plant Biology 14: 142–148. , , , .
- 2001. Trends in wood density and structure are linked to prevention of xylem implosion by negative pressure. Oecologia 126: 457–461. , , , , .
- 2013. Climate change may cause severe loss in the economic value of European forest land. Nature Climate Change 3: 203–207. , , , , .
- 2011. Hydraulic failure and tree dieback are associated with high wood density in a temperate forest under extreme drought. Global Change Biology 17: 2731–2742. , , , .
- 2005. Archimedes revisited: a faster, better, cheaper method of accurately measuring the volume of small objects. Physics Education 40: 468–474. .
- 2007. A new generation of climate change experiments: events, not trends. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 5: 315–324. , , .
- 2006. The role of wood density and stem support costs in the growth and mortality of tropical trees. Journal of Ecology 94: 670–680. , , , .
- 2010. The relationship between wood density and mortality in a global tropical forest data set. New Phytologist 188: 1124–1136. , , , .
- 2011. Testing hypotheses that link wood anatomy to cavitation resistance and hydraulic conductivity in the genus Acer. New Phytologist 190: 709–723. , , , , , .
- 2005. Responses of deciduous forest trees to severe drought in Central Europe. Tree Physiology 25: 641–650. , , , .
- 2012. Regional drought-induced reduction in the biomass carbon sink of Canada's boreal forests. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: 2423–2427. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Ecological differentiation in xylem cavitation resistance is associated with stem and leaf structural traits. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 137–148. , , , , .
- 2009. Hydraulic adjustment of Scots Pine across Europe. New Phytologist 184: 353–364. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Mechanisms linking drought, hydraulics, carbon metabolism, and vegetation mortality. Plant Physiology 155: 1051–1059. .
- 2011. The interdependence of mechanisms underlying climate-driven vegetation mortality. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 26: 523–532. , , , , , .
- 2008. Mechanisms of plant survival and mortality under drought: why do some plants survive while others succumb to drought? New Phytologist 178: 719–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Xylem hydraulic safety margins in woody plants: coordination of stomatal control of xylem tension with hydraulic capacitance. Functional Ecology 23: 922–930. , , , , .
- 2013. Drought response strategies define the relative contributions of hydraulic dysfunction and carbohydrate depletion during tree mortality. New Phytologist 197: 862–872. , , , , , .
- 2012. Isotopes reveal contrasting water use strategies among coexisting plant species in a Mediterranean ecosystem. New Phytologist 196: 489–496. , , , .
- 2005. Differential tree mortality in response to severe drought: evidence for long-term vegetation shifts. Journal of Ecology 93: 1085–1093. , , , , , .
- 2008. Heterogeneity of gas exchange rates over the leaf surface in tobacco: an effect of hydraulic architecture? Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 804–812. , , , .
- 2011a. Refilling embolized xylem conduits: is it a matter of phloem unloading? Plant Science 180: 604–611. , , .
- 2012. Trade-offs between leaf hydraulic capacity and drought vulnerability: morpho-anatomical bases, carbon costs and ecological consequences. New Phytologist 196: 788–798. , , .
- 1999. Drought resistance of Quercus pubescens as a function of root hydraulic conductance, xylem embolism and hydraulic architecture. New Phytologist 143: 485–493. , .
- 2011b. More than just a vulnerable pipeline: xylem physiology in the light of ion-mediated regulation of plant water transport. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 4701–4718. , , .
- 2003. Water relations and hydraulic characteristics of three woody species co-occurring in the same habitat. Annals of Forest Science 60: 297–305. , , , .
- 2012. Hydraulic limits preceding tree mortality in a piñon–juniper woodland under experimental drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 1601–1617. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Relationships among xylem transport, biomechanics and storage in stems and roots of nine Rhamnaceae species of the California chaparral. New Phytologist 174: 787–798. , , , .
- 2008. Linkage between water stress tolerance and life history type in seedlings of nine chaparral species (Rhamnaceae). Journal of Ecology 96: 1252–1265. , , , , .
- 2010. A trecheomycosis as a tool for studying the impact of stem xylem dysfunction on leaf water status and gas exchange in Citrus aurantium L. Trees-Structure and Function 24: 327–333. , , , , .
- 2006. Heat and drought 2003 in Europe: a climate synthesis. Annals of Forest Science 63: 569–577. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Neutral red uptake assay for the estimation of cell viability/cytotoxicity. Nature Protocols 3: 1125–1131. , , .
- 2012. Is drought the main decline factor at the rear edge of Europe? The case of southern Iberian pine plantations. Forest Ecology and Management 271: 158–169. , , , .
- 2011. An ecological perspective on extreme climatic events: a synthetic definition and framework to guide future research. Journal of Ecology 99: 656–663. .
- 2012. Drought-induced mortality affects understory vegetation: release after death. Ecological Research 27: 715–724. , .
- 2004. Relationships between hydraulic traits and habitat preference for six Acer species occurring in the French Alps. Annals of Forest Science 61: 81–86. , , , .
- 1999. Seasonal embolism and xylem vulnerability in deciduous and evergreen Mediterranean trees influenced by proximity to a carbon dioxide spring. Tree Physiology 19: 271–277. , , .
- 1997. Whole-plant hydraulic resistance and vulnerability segmentation in Acer saccharinum. Tree Physiology 17: 351–357. , .
- 2002. Drought until death do us part: a case study of the desiccation-tolerance of a tropical moist forest seedling-tree, Licania platypus (Hemsl.) Fritsch. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 2239–2247. , , , .
- 1987. Characteristics of trees predisposed to die. BioScience 37: 569–577. .
- 2013. Temperature as a potent driver of regional forest drought stress and tree mortality. Nature Climate Change 3: 292–297. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Genotypic variability and phenotypic plasticity of cavitation resistance in Fagus sylvatica L. across Europe. Tree Physiology 31: 1175–1182. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Forest mortality due to drought: latest insights, evidence and unresolved questions on physiological pathways and consequences of tree death. New Phytologist 197: 372–374. , , .