Promotion of cyclic electron transport around photosystem I during the evolution of NADP–malic enzyme-type C4 photosynthesis in the genus Flaveria
Article first published online: 29 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 199, Issue 3, pages 832–842, August 2013
How to Cite
Nakamura, N., Iwano, M., Havaux, M., Yokota, A. and Munekage, Y. N. (2013), Promotion of cyclic electron transport around photosystem I during the evolution of NADP–malic enzyme-type C4 photosynthesis in the genus Flaveria. New Phytologist, 199: 832–842. doi: 10.1111/nph.12296
- Issue published online: 11 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 29 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 JAN 2013
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science. Grant Numbers: 22770039, GS019
- 2006. Non-invasive monitoring of the light-induced cyclic photosynthetic electron flow during cold hardening in wheat leaves. Zeitschrift fur Naturforschung 61c: 734–740. , , , , .
- 1993. Electron flow to the intersystem chain from stromal components and cyclic electron flow in maize chloroplasts, as detected in intact leaves by monitoring redox change of P700 and chlorophyll fluorescence. Plant Cell Physiology 34: 39–50. , , .
- 1983. Photosynthesis of grass species differing in carbon dioxide fixation pathways. VIII. Ultrastructural characteristics of Panicum species in the Laxa group. Plant Physiology 71: 425–431. , , , .
- 1989. Leaf anatomy of C3–C4 species as related to evolution of C4 photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 91: 1543–1550. , .
- 1988. Photosynthesis in Flaveria brownii, a C4-like species. Leaf anatomy, characteristics of CO2 exchange, compartmentation of photosynthetic enzymes, and metabolism of 14CO2. Plant Physiology 87: 867–873. , , , .
- 1996. Oxygen sensitivity of photosynthesis and photorespiration in different photosynthetic types in the genus Flaveria. Planta 198: 563–571. , , .
- 2008. A complex containing PGRL1 and PGR5 is involved in the switch between linear and cyclic electron flow in Arabidopsis. Cell 132: 273–285. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Chlorophyll thermoluminescence of leaf discs: simple instruments and progress in signal interpretation open the way to new ecophysiological indicators. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2419–2430. .
- 2005. Cyclic electron flow around PSI monitored by afterglow luminescence in leaves of maize inbred lines (Zea mays L.): correlation with chilling tolerance. Planta 221: 567–579. , , , , .
- 2010. The path from C3 to C4 photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 155: 56–63. , .
- 1987. C4 photosynthesis: a unique blend of modified biochemistry, anatomy and ultrastructure. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 895: 81–106. .
- 2005. Probing the FQR and NDH activities involved in cyclic electron transport photosystem I by the “afterglow” luminescence. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1709: 203–213. , , .
- 2013. PGRL1 is the elusive ferredoxin-plastoquinone reductase in photosynthetic cyclic electron flow. Molecular Cell 49: 1–13. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Differential accumulation of the 10-, 16- and 23-kDa peripheral components of the water-splitting complex of photosystem II in mesophyll and bundle sheath chloroplasts of the dicotyledonous C4 plant Flaveria trinervia (Spreng.) C. Mohr. Planta 186: 304–312. , , .
- 1984. C3–C4 intermediate species in the genus Flaveria: leaf anatomy, ultrastructure, and the effect of O2 on the CO2 compensation concentration. Planta 160: 25–30. , , .
- 2000. Targeted inactivation of the plastid ndhB gene in tobacco results in an enhanced sensitivity of photosynthesis to modulate stomatal closure. Plant Physiology 123: 1337–1350. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Glycine decarboxylase is confined to the bundle sheath cells of leaves of C3–C4 intermediate species. Planta 175: 452–459. , , , , .
- 2011. Structure of the chloroplast NADH dehydrogenase-like complex: nomenclature for nuclear-encoded subunits. Plant Cell Physiology 52: 1560–1568. , , , .
- 2006. Cyclic electron flow in C3 plants. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1757: 362–368. , .
- 1999. The biochemistry of C4 photosynthesis. In: Sage RF, Monson RK, eds. C4 plant biology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 215–249. , .
- 1992. Characterization of the expression of the photosystem II-oxygen evolving complex in C4 species of Flaveria. Plant Physiology 98: 1154–1162. , .
- 1998. Bundle sheath cells and cell-specific plastid development in Arabidopsis leaves. Development 125: 1815–1822. , .
- 1998. Measuring P700 absorbance changes in the near infra-red spectral region with a dual wavelength pulse modulation system. In: Garab G, ed. Photosynthesis, mechanisms and effects, Vol. 5. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic, 4357–4360. , .
- 1983. Photosynthetic characteristics of C3–C4 intermediate Flaveria species I. Leaf anatomy, photosynthetic responses to O2 and CO2, and activities of key enzymes in the C3 and C4 pathways. Plant Physiology 71: 944–948. , , , , , .
- 1991. Photosynthetic and photorespiratory characteristics of Flaveria species. Plant Physiology 96: 518–528. , , , , , .
- 1971. Development of the dimorphic chloroplasts of sugar cane. American Journal of Botany 56: 77–87. , .
- 2009. Comparative analysis of leaf-type ferredoxin-NADP+ oxidoreductase isoforms in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 57: 1103–1115. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Environmental responses. In: Sage RF, Monson RK, eds. C4 plant biology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 215–249. .
- 2005. Phylogeny of Flaveria (Asteracae) and inference of C4 photosynthesis evolution. American Journal of Botany 92: 1911–1928. , , .
- 1995. Characterization of the chlorophyll thermoluminescence afterglow in dark-adapted or far-red-illuminated plant leaves. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 33: 689–699. , .
- 1989. On the significance of C3–C4 intermediate photosynthesis to the evolution of C4 photosynthesis. Plant, Cell & Environment 12: 689–699. , .
- 1986. Co-function of C3- and C4-photosynthetic pathways in C3, C4 and C3–C4 intermediate Flaveria species. Planta 168: 493–502. , , , .
- 1989. Expression of C4-like photosynthesis in several species of Flaveria. Plant, Cell & Environment 12: 541–549. , , .
- 1988. Activities of principal photosynthetic and photorespiratory enzymes in leaf mesophyll and bundle sheath protoplasts from the C3–C4 intermediate Flaveria ramosissima. Plant Cell Physiology 29: 999–1006. , , , .
- 2011. Characterization of C3–C4 intermediate species in the genus Heliotropium L. (Boraginaceae): anatomy, ultrastructure and enzyme activity. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 1723–1736. , , , , .
- 2010. Elevated expression of PGR5 and NDH-H in bundle sheath chloroplasts in C4 Flaveria species. Plant Cell Physiology 51: 664–668. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Effect of PGR5 impairment on photosynthesis and growth in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiology 49: 1688–1698. , , .
- 2004. Cyclic electron flow around photosystem I is essential for photosynthesis. Nature 429: 579–582. , , , , , , .
- 2002. PGR5 is involved in cyclic electron flow around photosystem I and is essential for photoprotection in Arabidopsis. Cell 110: 361–371. , , , , , .
- 1983. Photosynthetic characteristics of C3–C4 intermediate Flaveria species II. Kinetics properties of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase from C3, C4 and C3–C4 intermediate species. Plant Cell Physiology 24: 1387–1393. , , .
- 2009. A phosphofructokinase B-type carbohydrate kinase family protein, NARA 5, for massive expression of plastid-encoded photosynthetic genes in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 151: 114–128. , , , , , , .
- 2007. A balanced PGR5 level is required for chloroplast development and optimum operation of cyclic electron transport around photosystem I. Plant Cell Physiology 48: 1462–1471. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Differential biogenesis of photosystem-II in mesophyll and bundle sheath cells of ‘malic’ enzyme NADP+-type C4 plants. European Journal of Biochemistry 190: 185–194. , , , , , .
- 2012. Thermoluminescence and P700 redox kinetics as complementary tools to investigate the cyclic/chlororespiratory electron pathways in stress conditions in barley leaves. Physiologia Plantarum 144: 83–97. , , , .
- 2011. Structure and biogenesis of the chloroplast NAD(P)H dehydrogenase complex. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1807: 945–953. , , .
- 2005. New subunits NDH-M, -N, and -O, encoded by nuclear genes, are essential for plastid Ndh complex functioning in higher plants. The Plant Cell 17: 219–232. , , , , , .
- 1984. Photosynthetic characteristics of C3–C4 intermediate Flaveria species III. Reduction of photorespiration by a limited C4 pathway of photosynthesis in Flaveria ramosissima. Plant Physiology 75: 993–996. , , , .
- 1999. Why C4 photosynthesis? In: Sage RF, Monson RK, eds. C4 plant biology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 215–249. .
- 2004. The evolution of C4 photosynthesis. New Phytologist 161: 341–370. .
- 2011. The C4 plant lineages of planet Earth. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 3155–3169. , , .
- 2012. Photorespiration and the evolution of C4 photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Biology 63: 19–47. , , .
- 2011. Responses of the photosynthetic electron transport system to excess light energy caused by water deficient in wild watermelon. Physiologia Plantarum 142: 247–264. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Differential expression of oxygen-evolving polypeptide genes in maize leaf cell types. Plant Molecular Biology 9: 217–226. , , .
- 1998. Directed disruption of the tobacco ndhB gene impairs cyclic electron flow around photosystem I. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 95: 9705–9709. , , , , , .
- 2005. Differential use of two cyclic electron flows around photosystem I for driving CO2-concentration mechanism in C4 photosynthesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 102: 16898–16903. , , , , .
- 1998. Molecular characterization of photomixotrophic tobacco cells resistant to photoporphyrinogen oxidase-inhibiting herbicides. Plant Physiology 118: 751–758. , , , , , , .