Physiological and metabolic consequences of autophagy deficiency for the management of nitrogen and protein resources in Arabidopsis leaves depending on nitrate availability
Version of Record online: 7 MAY 2013
© 2013 INRA. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 199, Issue 3, pages 683–694, August 2013
How to Cite
Guiboileau, A., Avila-Ospina, L., Yoshimoto, K., Soulay, F., Azzopardi, M., Marmagne, A., Lothier, J. and Masclaux-Daubresse, C. (2013), Physiological and metabolic consequences of autophagy deficiency for the management of nitrogen and protein resources in Arabidopsis leaves depending on nitrate availability. New Phytologist, 199: 683–694. doi: 10.1111/nph.12307
- Issue online: 11 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 7 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 FEB 2013
- by INRA
- Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin en Yvelines
- 2006. Autophagy in development and stress responses of plants. Autophagy 2: 2–11. , , , , , , .
- 2011. High-resolution temporal profiling of transcripts during Arabidopsis leaf senescence reveals a distinct chronology of processes and regulation. Plant Cell 23: 873–894. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Protein hydrolysis and nitrogen remobilisation in plant life and senescence. In: Lea P, Morot-Gaudry JF, eds. Plant nitrogen. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 275–293. , , , .
- 2003. Exclusion of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase from chloroplasts by specific bodies in naturally senescing leaves of wheat. Plant and Cell Physiology 44: 914–921. , , , , .
- 1999. Glutamine synthetase in higher plants: regulation of gene and protein expression from the organ to the cell. Plant Cell Physiology 40: 1187–1193. , .
- 2008. A proteomic profiling approach to reveal a novel role of Brassica napus drought 22 kD/water-soluble chlorophyll-binding protein in young leaves during nitrogen remobilization induced by stressful conditions. Plant Physiology 147: 1830–1844. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Nitrogen recycling and remobilization are differentially controlled by leaf senescence and development stage in Arabidopsis under low nitrogen nutrition. Plant Physiology 147: 1437–1449. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Characterization of markers to determine the extent and variability of leaf senescence in Arabidopsis. A metabolic profiling approach. Plant Physiology 138: 898–908. , , , , , .
- 2002. The APG8/12-activating enzyme APG7 is required for proper nutrient recycling and senescence in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 33105–33114. , , , , .
- 2007. N-protein mobilisation associated with the leaf senescence process in oilseed rape is concomitant with the disappearance of trypsin inhibitor activity. Functional Plant Biology 34: 895–906. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Rubiscolytics: fate of Rubisco after its enzymatic function in a cell is terminated. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1615–1624. , , .
- 1994. Nitrogen-metabolism in senescing leaves. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 13: 241–273. , .
- 1993. Redox regulation of enzymatic activity and proteolytic and susceptibility of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase from Euglena gracilis. Photosynthesis Research 35: 55–66. , .
- 1994. Oxidative modification and breakdown of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase induced in Euglena gracilis by nitrogen starvation. Planta 193: 208–215. , .
- 2012. Autophagy machinery controls nitrogen remobilization at the whole-plant level under both limiting and ample nitrate conditions in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 194: 732–740. , , , , , .
- 2002. Leaf senescence and starvation-induced chlorosis are accelerated by the disruption of an Arabidopsis autophagy gene. Plant Physiology 129: 1181–1193. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Regulation of macroautophagy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Seminars in Cell & Developmental Biology 21: 664–670. , .
- 2008. Mobilization of rubisco and stroma-localized fluorescent proteins of chloroplasts to the vacuole by an ATG gene-dependent autophagic process. Plant Physiology 148: 142–155. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. The autophagic degradation of chloroplasts via Rubisco-containing bodies is specifically linked to leaf carbon status but not nitrogen status in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 154: 1196–1209. , , , .
- 2008. Enzymatic and metabolic diagnostic of nitrogen deficiency in Arabidopsis thaliana Wassileskija accession. Plant and Cell Physiology 49: 1056–1065. , , , , .
- 2012. Autophagy: a multifaceted intracellular system for bulk and selective recycling. Trends in Plant Science 17: 526–537. , .
- 2012. Autophagy: pathways for self-eating in plant cells. Annual review of plant biology 63: 215–237. , .
- 2009. Autophagy is required for tolerance of drought and salt stress in plants. Autophagy 5: 954–963. , , .
- 2011. The cytosolic glutamine synthetase GLN1;2 plays a role in the control of plant growth and ammonium homeostasis in Arabidopsis rosettes when nitrate supply is not limiting. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 1375–1390. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. The connection between ribophagy, autophagy and ribosomal RNA decay. Autophagy 7: 662–663. , .
- 2008. Senescence-associated degradation of chloroplast proteins inside and outside the organelle. Plant Biology (Stuttgart) 10(Suppl 1): 15–22. , , .
- 2000. Characterization of the sink/source transition in tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.) shoots in relation to nitrogen management and leaf senescence. Planta 211: 510–518. , , , , .
- 2011. Exploring nitrogen remobilization for seed filling using natural variation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 2131–2142. , .
- 2010. Nitrogen uptake, assimilation and remobilization in plants: challenges for sustainable and productive agriculture. Annals of Botany 105: 1141–1157. , , , , , .
- 2002. Diurnal changes in the expression of glutamate dehydrogenase and nitrate reductase are involved in the C/N balance of tobacco source leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1451–1462. , , , , .
- 2006. In vivo fragmentation of the large subunit of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase by reactive oxygen species in an intact leaf of cucumber under chilling-light conditions. Plant and Cell Physiology 47: 270–276. , , , .
- 2010. Atg8-family interacting motif crucial for selective autophagy. FEBS Letters 584: 1379–1385. , , .
- 2013. Evidence for contribution of autophagy to Rubisco degradation during leaf senescence in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant, Cell & Environment 36: 1147–1159. , , , , .
- 1999. The role of photosynthetic electron transport in the oxidative degradation of chloroplastic glutamine synthetase. Plant Physiology 121: 471–478. , , .
- 1988. The interplay between proteolysis and amino acid metabolism during senescence and nitrogen reallocation. In: Noodén L, Leopold A, eds. Senescence and aging in plants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 181–217. , .
- 2008. Cysteine proteinases regulate chloroplast protein content and composition in tobacco leaves: a model for dynamic interactions with ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase (Rubisco) vesicular bodies. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1935–1950. , , , , .
- 2012. Senescence-associated proteases in plants. Physiologia Plantarum 145: 130–139. , , , .
- 1957. A modified ninhydrin colorimetric analysis for amino acids. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 67: 10–15. .
- 2010. Uptake and partitioning of amino acids and peptides. Molecular Plant 3: 997–1011. , .
- 2005. Autophagic nutrient recycling in Arabidopsis directed by the ATG8 and ATG12 conjugation pathways. Plant Physiology 138: 2097–2110. , , , .
- 2009. Autophagy plays a role in chloroplast degradation during senescence in individually darkened leaves. Plant Physiology 149: 885–893. , , , , , , .
- 2005. AtATG18a is required for the formation of autophagosomes during nutrient stress and senescence in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 42: 535–546. , , .
- 2012. Beginning to understand autophagy, an intracellular self-degradation system in plants. Plant and Cell Physiology 53: 1355–1365. .
- 2009. Autophagy negatively regulates cell death by controlling NPR1-dependent salicylic acid signaling during senescence and the innate immune response in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 2914–2927. , , , , , , , .