Host-specific salivary elicitor(s) of European corn borer induce defenses in tomato and maize
Article first published online: 29 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 199, Issue 1, pages 66–73, July 2013
How to Cite
Louis, J., Peiffer, M., Ray, S., Luthe, D. S. and Felton, G. W. (2013), Host-specific salivary elicitor(s) of European corn borer induce defenses in tomato and maize. New Phytologist, 199: 66–73. doi: 10.1111/nph.12308
- Issue published online: 28 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 29 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 JAN 2013
- USDA NIFA. Grant Numbers: 2010-65105-20639, 2011-67013-30352
- 2007. Disulfooxy fatty acids from the American bird grasshopper Schistocerca americana, elicitors of plant volatiles. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 12976–12981. , , , , , , .
- 1997. An elicitor of plant volatiles from beet armyworm oral secretion. Science 276: 945–949. , , , , , .
- 2007. Elicitors, effectors, and R genes: the new paradigm and a lifetime supply of questions. Annual Review of Phytopathology 45: 399–436. , .
- 1999. Long-term selection for resistance to Bacillus thuringiensis Cry1Ac endotoxin in a Minnesota population of European corn borer (Lepidoptera: Crambidae). Journal of Economic Entomology 92: 1021–1030. , , .
- 2012. Perception of insect feeding by plants. Plant Biology 14: 872–880. .
- 2008. Inducible direct plant defense against insect herbivores: a review. Insect Science 15: 101–114. .
- 2006. The role of insect-derived cues in eliciting indirect plant defenses in tobacco, Nicotiana tabacum. Plant Signaling and Behavior 1: 243–250. , , , .
- 1999. Salivary glucose oxidase: multifunctional roles for Helicoverpa zea? Archives of Insect Biochemistry and Physiology 42: 99–109. , , , , .
- 2008. Caterpillar secretions and induced plant responses. In: Schaller A, ed. Induced plant resistance to herbivory. Hohenheim, Germany: Springer, 369–387. .
- 2008. Plant-insect dialogs: complex interactions at the plant–insect interface. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 457–463. , .
- 2010. Areawide suppression of European corn borer with Bt maize reaps savings to non-Bt maize growers. Science 330: 222–225. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Global status of commercialized biotech/GM crops. ISAAA Briefs No. 41. Ithaca, NY, USA: International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-Biotech Applications. .
- 1997. Induced responses to herbivory. Chicago, IL, USA: The University of Chicago Press. , .
- 2008. A maize (E)-β-caryophyllene synthase implicated in indirect defense responses against herbivores is not expressed in most American maize varieties. Plant Cell 20: 482–494. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The tomato suppressor of prosystemin-mediated responses2 gene encodes a fatty acid desaturase required for the biosynthesis of jasmonic acid and the production of a systemic wound signal for defense gene expression. Plant Cell 15: 1646–1661. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A critical role of two positively charged amino acids in the Jas motif of Arabidopsis JAZ proteins in mediating coronatine- and jasmonoyl isoleucine-dependent interactions with the COI1F-box protein. Plant Journal 55: 979–988. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Herbivory: caterpillar saliva beats plant defences – a new weapon emerges in the evolutionary arms race between plants and herbivores. Nature 416: 599–600. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Bt corn and the European corn borer. Long-term success through resistance management. NCR-602. Paul, MN, USA: University of Minnesota. , , .
- 2009. Terrific protein traffic: the mystery of effector protein delivery by filamentous plant pathogens. Science 324: 748–750. , .
- 2005. The host plant as a factor in the synthesis and secretion of salivary glucose oxidase in larval Helicoverpa zea. Archives of Insect Biochemistry and Physiology 58: 106–113. , .
- 2009. Do caterpillars secrete “oral secretions”? Journal of Chemical Ecology 35: 326–335. , .
- 2009. Plants on early alert: glandular trichomes as sensors for insect herbivores. New Phytologist 184: 644–656. , , , .
- 2009. Phytohormone-based activity mapping of insect herbivore-produced elicitors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 653–657. , , , , .
- 2007. Cowpea chloroplastic ATP synthase is the source of multiple plant defense elicitors during insect herbivory. Plant Physiology 144: 793–805. , , , , .
- 2010. Plants on constant alert: elevated levels of jasmonic acid and jasmonate-induced transcripts in caterpillar-resistant maize. Journal of Chemical Ecology 36: 179–191. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Crop biotechnology in the United States: experiences and impacts. In: Halford N, ed. Plant biotechnology: current and future applications of genetically modified crops. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons. .
- 2012. Salivary glucose oxidase from caterpillars mediates the induction of rapid and delayed-induced defenses in the tomato plant. PLoS ONE 7: e36168. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Priming by airborne signals boosts direct and indirect resistance in maize. Plant Journal 49: 16–26. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. An elicitor in caterpillar oral secretions that induces corn seedlings to emit chemical signals attractive to parasitic wasps. Journal of Chemical Ecology 19: 411–425. , , , .
- 1990. Exploitation of herbivore-induced plant odors by host-seeking parasitic wasps. Science 250: 1251–1253. , , .
- 2004. Induction of nicotine in tobacco by herbivory and its relation to glucose oxidase activity in the labial gland of three noctuid caterpillars. Chinese Science Bulletin 49: 1596–1601. , .