The mechanism of ORFH79 suppression with the artificial restorer fertility gene Mt-GRP162
Article first published online: 7 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 199, Issue 1, pages 52–58, July 2013
How to Cite
Hu, J., Huang, W., Huang, Q., Qin, X., Dan, Z., Yao, G., Zhu, R. and Zhu, Y. (2013), The mechanism of ORFH79 suppression with the artificial restorer fertility gene Mt-GRP162. New Phytologist, 199: 52–58. doi: 10.1111/nph.12310
- Issue published online: 28 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 7 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 FEB 2013
- National High Tech Research and Development Project. Grant Number: 2011AA101101
- National Key Project for Research on Transgenic Plant. Grant Number: 2011ZX08010
- Postdoctoral Science Foundation. Grant Number: 2012M511658
- 2004. Positional cloning of the rice Rf-1 gene, a restorer of BT-type cytoplasmic male sterility that encodes a mitochondria-targeting PPR protein. TAG. Theoretical and Applied Genetics. Theoretische und angewandte Genetik 108: 1449–1457. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Tracing evolutionary and developmental implications of mitochondrial stoichiometric shifting in the common bean. Genetics 158: 851–864. , , , , , .
- 2002. A pentatricopeptide repeat-containing gene restores fertility to cytoplasmic male-sterile plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 10887–10892. , , .
- 2003. The radish Rfo restorer gene of Ogura cytoplasmic male sterility encodes a protein with multiple pentatricopeptide repeats. Plant Journal 35: 262–272. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Cytoplasmic male sterility: a window to the world of plant mitochondrial-nuclear interactions. Trends in Genetics 23: 81–90. .
- 1996. The rf2 nuclear restorer gene of male-sterile T-cytoplasm maize. Science 272: 1334–1336. , , .
- 2003. Identification of the fertility restoration locus, Rfo, in radish, as a member of the pentatricopeptide-repeat protein family. EMBO Reports 4: 588–594. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Biochemical and functional characterization of ORF138, a mitochondrial protein responsible for Ogura cytoplasmic male sterility in Brassiceae. Biochimie 87: 1089–1100. , , , , , .
- 2011. One protoplast is not the other!. Plant Physiology 156: 474–478. , , , , .
- 2009. Suppressed expression of RETROGRADE-REGULATED MALE STERILITY restores pollen fertility in cytoplasmic male sterile rice plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 9513–9518. , .
- 2005. Cell-specific regulation of a Brassica napus CMS-associated gene by a nuclear restorer with related effects on a floral homeotic gene promoter. Plant Journal: For Cell and Molecular Biology 41: 333–345. , , .
- 2004. Interactions of mitochondrial and nuclear genes that affect male gametophyte development. Plant Cell 16: S154–S169. .
- 1999. Mitochondrial gene organization and expression in petunia male fertile and sterile plants. Journal of Heredity 90: 362–368. , , , , .
- 2012. The rice pentatricopeptide repeat protein RF5 restores fertility in Hong-Lian cytoplasmic male-sterile lines via a complex with the glycine-rich protein GRP162. Plant Cell 24: 109–122. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The fertility restorer gene, Rf2, for lead rice-type cytoplasmic male sterility of rice encodes a mitochondrial glycine-rich protein. Plant Journal 65: 359–367. , , , , .
- 2008. Suppression mechanism of mitochondrial ORF79 accumulation by Rf1 protein in BT-type cytoplasmic male sterile rice. Plant Journal: For Cell and Molecular Biology 55: 619–628. , , , , .
- 2003. A pentatricopeptide repeat-containing gene that promotes the processing of aberrant atp6 RNA of cytoplasmic male-sterile rice. FEBS Letters 544: 99–102. , .
- 2005. Fertility restorer locus Rf1 of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L.) encodes a pentatricopeptide repeat protein not present in the colinear region of rice chromosome 12. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 111: 994–1012. , , , , , .
- 2003. Genetic characterization of a pentatricopeptide repeat protein gene, orf687, that restores fertility in the cytoplasmic male-sterile Kosena radish. Plant Journal 34: 407–415. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Map-based cloning of a fertility restorer gene, Rf-1, in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Plant Journal 37: 315–325. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Gametophytically alloplasmic CMS line of rice (Oryza sativa L.) with variant orfH79 haplotype corresponds to specific fertility restorer. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 117: 1389–1397. , , , , .
- 2012. Alterations of mitochondrial protein assembly and jasmonic acid biosynthesis pathway in Honglian (HL)-type cytoplasmic male sterility rice. Journal of Biological Chemistry 287: 40051–40060. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Fertility restoration is associated with loss of a portion of the mitochondrial genome in cytoplasmic male-sterile common bean. Plant Cell 2: 905–912. , .
- 1994. Nuclear restoration of cytoplasmic male sterility in sunflower is associated with the tissue-specific regulation of a novel mitochondrial gene. EMBO Journal 13: 8–17. , , .
- 2009. Expression of a mitochondrial gene orfH79 from the CMS-HongLian rice inhibits Saccharomyces cerevisiae growth and causes excessive ROS accumulation and decrease in ATP. Biotechnology Letters 31: 409–414. , , , .
- 2010. The mitochondrial gene orfH79 plays a critical role in impairing both male gametophyte development and root growth in CMS-Honglian rice. BMC Plant Biology 10: 125. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Characterization of Raphanus sativus pentatricopeptide repeat proteins encoded by the fertility restorer locus for Ogura cytoplasmic male sterility. Plant Cell 20: 3331–3345. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Cytoplasmic male sterility of rice with boro II cytoplasm is caused by a cytotoxic peptide and is restored by two related PPR motif genes via distinct modes of mRNA silencing. Plant Cell 18: 676–687. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Mitochondrial transcript processing and restoration of male fertility in T-cytoplasm maize. Journal of Heredity 90: 380–385. , , , , .
- 2003. Transcriptional control of orf224/atp6 by the pol CMS restorer Rfp gene in Brassica napus L. Yi Chuan Xue Bao 30: 469–473. , , , .