Increasing atmospheric [CO2] from glacial to future concentrations affects drought tolerance via impacts on leaves, xylem and their integrated function
Version of Record online: 14 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 199, Issue 3, pages 738–748, August 2013
How to Cite
Medeiros, J. S. and Ward, J. K. (2013), Increasing atmospheric [CO2] from glacial to future concentrations affects drought tolerance via impacts on leaves, xylem and their integrated function. New Phytologist, 199: 738–748. doi: 10.1111/nph.12318
- Issue online: 11 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 14 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 FEB 2013
- NIH IRACDA
- NSF CAREER
- 1993. Interaction of CO2 enrichment and water limitations on photosynthesis and water efficiency in wheat. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 31: 103–112. , .
- 1996. Effects of elevated CO2 on stem growth, vessel area and hydraulic conductivity of oak and cherry seedlings. New Phytologist 133: 617–626. , .
- 2009. Does soil nitrogen influence growth, water transport and survival of snow gum (Eucalyptus pauciflora Sieber ex Sprengel.) under CO2 enrichment? Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 553–566. , , .
- 2006. GEOCARBSULF: a combine model for Phanerozoic atmospheric O2 and CO2. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 70: 5653–5664. .
- 2012. Global convergence in the vulnerability of forests to drought. Nature 491: 752–755. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Regional climate projections. In: Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL, eds. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 849–926. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Interactive effects of low atmospheric CO2 and elevated temperature on growth, photosynthesis and respiration in Phaseolus vulgaris. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 427–435. , .
- 2004. Effects of elevated CO2 on the vasculature and phenolic secondary metabolism of Plantago maritima. Phytochemistry 65: 2197–2204. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Changes in petiole hydraulic properties and leaf water flow in birch and oak saplings in a CO2-enriched atmosphere. Tree Physiology 28: 287–295. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Growth CO2 concentration modifies the transpiration response of Populus deltoides to drought and vapor pressure deficit. Tree Physiology 24: 1137–1145. , , , , , .
- 2000. Influence of nutrient versus water supply on hydraulic architecture and water balance in Pinus taeda. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1055–1066. , , .
- 2013. Sensitivity of plants to changing atmospheric CO2 concentration: from the geologic past to the next century. New Phytologist 197: 1077–1094. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Effects of high atmospheric CO2 concentration on root hydraulic conductivity of conifers depend on species identity and inorganic nitrogen source. Environmental Pollution 159: 3455–3461. , .
- 2011. Glacial tress from the La Brea tar pits show physiological constraints of low CO2. New Phytologist 194: 63–68. , , , , .
- 2010. Plant responses to low [CO2] of the past. New Phytologist 188: 674–695. , .
- 2010. Exposure to preindustrial, current and future atmospheric CO2 and temperature differentially affects growth and photosynthesis in Eucalyptus. Global Change Biology 16: 303–319. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Trends in wood density and structure are linked to prevention of xylem implosion by negative pressure. Oecologia 126: 457–461. , , , , .
- 1997. Stem hydraulic conductance of European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) and pendunculate oak (Quercus robur L.) grown in elevated CO2. Journal of Experimental Biology 48: 1487–1489. , , .
- 2006. Long-term acclimatization of hydraulic properties, xylem conduit size, wall strength and cavitation resistance in Phaseolus vulgaris in response to different environmental effects. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 836–843. , , .
- 2011. A carbon cost-gain model explains the observed patterns of xylem safety and efficiency. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 1819–1834. , , .
- 1999. Root hydraulic conductivity of Larrea tridentata and Helianthus annuus under elevated CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 325–330. , , .
- 2012. No growth stimulation by CO2 enrichment in alpine glacier forefield plants. Global Change Biology 18: 985–999. , , .
- 2012. A global analysis of xylem vessel length in woody plants. American Journal of Botany 99: 1583–1591. , , , , .
- 2007. Palaeoclimate. In: Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL, eds. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK and New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press, 435–484. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Climate change and resilient dryland systems: experiences of ICRISAT in Asia and Africa. Current Science 102: 1650–1659. , , , .
- 2002. Photosynthetic acclimation to elevated CO2 in Phaseolus vulgaris L. is altered by growth response to nitrogen supply. Global Change Biology 8: 1018–1027. , .
- 2007. Elevated temperature and CO2 concentration effects of xylem anatomy of Scots pine. Tree Physiology 27: 1329–1338. , , , , .
- 2009. Stem wood properties of mature Norway spruce after 3 years of continuous exposure to elevated [CO2] and temperature. Global Change Biology 15: 368–379. , , , , , , .
- LI-COR. 2012. Using the LI-6400/LI-6400XT portable photosynthesis system. Lincoln, NE, USA: LI-COR Biosciences Inc.
- 2009. Competition and drought limit the response of water-use efficiency to rising atmospheric carbon dioxide in the Mediterranean fir Abies pinsapo. Oecologia 161: 611–624. , , , , .
- 2000. Interactive effects of elevated CO2 and temperature on water transport in Ponderosa pine. American Journal of Botany 87: 243–249. , .
- 2006. Stay wet or else: three ways in which plants can adjust hydraulically to their environment. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 3963–3977. , .
- 2011. Drought increases freezing tolerance of both leaves and xylem of Larrea tridentata. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 43–51. , .
- 2007. Global climate projections. In: Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL, eds. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK and New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press, 749–844. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Elevated CO2 does not offset greater water stress predicted under climate change for native and exotic riparian plants. New Phytologist 197: 532–543. , , , , .
- 2011. Impact of variable [CO2] and temperature on water transport structure-function relationships in Eucalyptus. Tree Physiology 9: 945–952. , , , , , .
- 2006. Mechanical reinforcement of tracheids compromises the hydraulic efficiency of conifer xylem. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1618. , , , , .
- 2013. Increased susceptibilty to drought-induced mortality in Sequoia sempervirens (Cupressaceae) trees under Cenozoic atmospheric carbon dioxide starvation. American Journal of Botany 100: 582–591. , , , , .
- 1992. Photosynthetic acclimation to sub-ambient CO2 (20 Pa) in the C3 annual Phaseolus vulgaris L. Photosynthetica 27: 605–617. , .
- 2008. Projected changes in drought occurrence under future global warming from multi-model, multi-scenario, IPCC AR4 simulations. Climate Dynamics 31: 79–105. , .
- 1998. Limitation of plant water use by rhizosphere and xylem conductance: results from a model. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 347. , , , .
- 1995. Strategies for improving drought resistance in grain legumes. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 14: 469–523. , , , , , .
- 1999. Seasonal embolism and xylem vulnerability in deciduous and evergreen Mediterranean trees influenced by proximity to a carbon dioxide spring. Tree Physiology 19: 271–277. , , .
- 2001. Stem hydraulic properties and xylem vulnerability to embolism in three co-occurring Mediterranean shrubs at a natural CO2 spring. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 257–268. , , , .
- 2005. Hydraulic properties and water relations of Vitis vinifera L. exposed to elevated CO2 concentrations in a free air CO2 enrichment (FACE). Phyton-Annales Rei Botanicae 45: 243–256. , , , , .
- 2002. Drought until death do us part: a case study of the desiccation-tolerance of a tropical moist forest seedling-tree, Licania platypus (Hemsl.) Fritsch. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 2239–2247. , , , .
- 2011. Response of C4 (maize) and C3 (sunflower) crop plants to drought stress and enhanced carbon dioxide concentration. Plant, Soil & Environment 57: 207–215. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Cork oak (Quercus suber L.) seedlings acclimate to elevated CO2 and water stress: photosynthesis, growth, wood anatomy and hydraulic conductivity. Trees-Structure and Function 26: 1145–1157. , , , , , .
- 2005. Evolution and growth of plants in a low CO2 world. In: Ehleringer JR, Cerling TE, Dearing D, eds. A history of atmospheric CO2 and its effects on plants, animals, and ecosystems. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 232–257. .
- 2005. Carbon starvation in glacial trees recovered from the La Brea tar pits, southern California. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 690–694. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Comparative responses of model C3 and C4 plants to drought in low and elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 5: 857–867. , , , .
- 2002. Plant water relations at elevated CO2 – implications for water-limited environments. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 319–331. , , .