Where do roots take up water? Neutron radiography of water flow into the roots of transpiring plants growing in soil
Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 199, Issue 4, pages 1034–1044, September 2013
How to Cite
Zarebanadkouki, M., Kim, Y. X. and Carminati, A. (2013), Where do roots take up water? Neutron radiography of water flow into the roots of transpiring plants growing in soil. New Phytologist, 199: 1034–1044. doi: 10.1111/nph.12330
- Issue online: 2 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 FEB 2013
- German Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- 1980. Electrical resistance and ion movement through excised discs of sugar beet root tissue. Physiologia Plantarum 48: 395–402. , , .
- 2009. Roles of morphology, anatomy, and aquaporins in determining contrasting hydraulic behavior of roots. Plant Physiology 150: 348–364. , , , .
- 2012. A model of root water uptake coupled with rhizosphere dynamics. Vadose Zone Journal 11: doi:10.2136/vzj2011.0106. .
- 2010. Dynamics of soil water content in the rhizosphere. Plant and Soil 332: 163–176. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Do roots mind the gap? Plant and Soil. doi: 10.1007/s11104-012-1496-9. , , , , , .
- 2010. Kinetic analyses of plant water relocation using deuterium as tracer–reduced water flux of Arabidopsis pip2 aquaporin knockout mutants. Plant Biology 12: 129–139. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Modelling of the hydraulic architecture of root systems: an integrated approach to water absorption – model description. Annals of Botany 81: 213–223. , , .
- 2006. Water uptake by plant roots: II modelling of water transfer in the soil root-system with explicit account of flow within the root system – comparison with experiments. Plant and Soil 283: 99–117. , , , .
- 2010. Model-assisted integration of physiological and environmental constraints affecting the dynamic and spatial patterns of root water uptake from soils. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 2145–2155. , , , .
- 2003. Root endodermis and exodermis: structure, function, and responses to the environment. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 21: 335–351. , , .
- 1995. The free space of sugars in plant tissues6. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 647–654. , .
- 1996. Water and solute transport along developing maize roots. Planta 198: 348–355. , , .
- 1989. Axial and radial hydraulic resistance to roots of maize (Zea mays L.). Plant Physiology 91: 719–726. , .
- 2011. Mannitol permeation and radial flow of water in maize roots. New Phytologist 189: 210–217. , .
- 2006. Water uptake by plant roots: I formation and propagation of a water extraction front in mature root systems as evidenced by 2d light transmission imaging. Plant and Soil 283: 83–98. , , .
- 1995. Reversible closing of water channels in Chara internodes provides evidence for a composite transport model of the plasma membrane. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 199–209. , .
- 2000. Sensitivity of growth of roots versus leaves to water stress: biophysical analysis and relation to water transport. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1595–1616. , .
- 1993. Hydraulic conductivity and anatomy along lateral roots of cacti: changes with soil water status. New Phytologist 123: 499–507. , .
- 2008. Use of a three-dimensional detailed modeling approach for predicting root water uptake. Vadose Zone Journal 7: 1079–1088. , , , .
- 2010. Water uptake by seminal and adventitious roots in relation to whole-plant water flow in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 717–733. , .
- 1978. Water movement through plant roots. Annals of Botany 42: 493–508. , .
- 1960. The mutual diffusion of light and heavy water. Journal of Physical Chemistry 64: 1914–1917. .
- 2008. Application potential of cold neutron radiography in plant science research. Journal of Applied Botany and Food Quality 82: 90–98. , , , , .
- 2008. Plant aquaporins: membrane channels with multiple integrated functions. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 595–624. , , , .
- 1995. How do real roots work?(Some new views of root structure). Plant Physiology 109: 1–6. .
- 1988. Pathways and processes of water and nutrient movement in roots. Plant and Soil 111: 159–170. , .
- 2007. Visualization of root growth in heterogeneously contaminated soil using neutron radiography. European Journal of Soil Science 58: 802–810. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Three-dimensional visualization and quantification of water content in the rhizosphere. New Phytologist 192: 653–663. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Neutron radiography as a tool for revealing root development in soil: capabilities and limitations. Plant and Soil 318: 243–255. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Hydraulic conductances of the soil, the root-soil air gap, and the root: changes for desert succulents in drying soil. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 319–326. , .
- 1997. Drought-induced changes in soil contact and hydraulic conductivity for roots of Opuntia ficus-indica with and without rhizosheaths. Plant and Soil 191: 249–258. , .
- 1994. The effect of root shrinkage on soil water inflow. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B 345: 395–402. .
- 1956. Permeability of Vicia faba root segments to water as measured by diffusion of deuterium hydroxide. Plant Physiology 31: 468–471. , .
- 2008. Quantitative imaging of infiltration, root growth, and root water uptake via neutron radiography. Vadose Zone Journal 7: 1035–1047. , , , , , .
- 2003. Simultaneous X-ray imaging of plant root growth and water uptake in thin-slab systems. Plant and Soil 255: 361–373. , , .
- 2008. Changes in soil water content resulting from Ricinus root uptake monitored by magnetic resonance imaging. Vadose Zone Journal 7: 1010–1017. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Apoplastic mobility of sucrose in storage parenchyma of sugar beet. Physiologia Plantarum 58: 263–268. , .
- 1983. Water uptake by different regions of the barley root. Pathways of radial flow in relation to development of the endodermis. Journal of Experimental Botany 34: 240–253. .
- 1998. How does water get through roots? Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 775–788. , .
- 2007. Thermal neutron computed tomography of soil water and plant roots. Soil Science Society of America Journal 72: 1234–1242. , , , .
- 1993. Rates of water uptake into the mature root system of maize plants. New Phytologist 123: 775–786. , .
- 2002. Influence of xylem development on axial hydraulic conductance within Prunus root systems. Trees 16: 479–487. , , , , .
- 2012. Quantification and modeling of local root water uptake using neutron radiography and deuterated water. Vadose Zone Journal 11: doi: 10.2136/vzj2011.0196. , , , , , .
- 2003. Understanding the hydraulics of porous pipes: tradeoffs between water uptake and root length utilization. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 21: 315–323. , , .