Cumulative response of ecosystem carbon and nitrogen stocks to chronic CO2 exposure in a subtropical oak woodland
Article first published online: 30 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 200, Issue 3, pages 753–766, November 2013
How to Cite
Hungate, B. A., Dijkstra, P., Wu, Z., Duval, B. D., Day, F. P., Johnson, D. W., Megonigal, J. P., Brown, A. L. P. and Garland, J. L. (2013), Cumulative response of ecosystem carbon and nitrogen stocks to chronic CO2 exposure in a subtropical oak woodland. New Phytologist, 200: 753–766. doi: 10.1111/nph.12333
- Issue published online: 11 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 30 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 JAN 2013
- US Department of Energy. Grant Number: DE-FG-02-95ER61993
- National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: DEB 9873715, 0092642, 0445324
- 2009. Interactive effects of time, CO2, N, and diversity on total belowground carbon allocation and ecosystem carbon storage in a grassland community. Ecosystems 12: 1037–1052. , , , .
- 2010. Terrestrial biogeochemical feedbacks in the climate system. Nature Geoscience 3: 525–532. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1953. The effect of the addition of organic materials on the decomposition of an organic soil. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings 17: 34–38. , , .
- 1948. Nitrogen release and carbon loss from soil organic matter during decomposition of added plant residues. Soil Science Society of America Journal 12: 246–249. .
- 1949. The effect of quantity of plant material added to soil on its rate of decomposition. Soil Science Society of America Journal 13: 271–274. , .
- 1947. Some factors affecting the availability of the organic nitrogen in soil long dash a preliminary report. Soil Science Society of America Journal 11: 264–267. , .
- 2009. Physiological profiling of soil microbial communities in a Florida scrub-oak ecosystem: spatial distribution and nutrient limitations. Microbial Ecology 57: 14–24. , , .
- 1992. Particulate soil organic-matter changes across a grassland cultivation sequence. Soil Science Society of America Journal 56: 777–783. , .
- 2007. Altered soil microbial community at elevated CO2 leads to loss of soil carbon. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 4990–4995. , , , .
- 2009. The changing global carbon cycle: linking plant-soil carbon dynamics to global consequences. Journal of Ecology 97: 840–850. , , , , , .
- 1998. Elevated CO2, rhizosphere processes, and soil organic matter decomposition. Plant and Soil 202: 167–174. , .
- 2000. Photosynthesis, respiration, and net primary production of sunflower stands in ambient and elevated atmospheric CO2 concentrations: an invariant NPP:GPP ratio? Global Change Biology 6: 931–941. , , , , .
- 1998. Elevated CO2 reduces the nitrogen concentration of plant tissues. Global Change Biology 1: 43–54. , , .
- 2001. Global response of terrestrial ecosystem structure and function to CO2 and climate change: results from six dynamic global vegetation models. Global Change Biology 7: 357–373. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. An alpine treeline in a carbon dioxide-rich world: synthesis of a nine-year free-air carbon dioxide enrichment study. Oecologia 171: 623–637. , , , , , , , .
- 2013. The effects of 11 yr of CO2 enrichment on roots in a Florida scrub-oak ecosystem. New Phytologist 199: 74–88. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Couplings between changes in the climate system and biogeochemistry. In: Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL, eds. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 501–568. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Evidence of a feedback mechanism limiting plant-response to elevated carbon-dioxide. Nature 364: 616–617. , , , .
- 2010. Soil [N] modulates soil C cycling in CO2-fumigated tree stands: a meta-analysis. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 2001–2011. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Simple additive effects are rare: a quantitative review of plant biomass and soil process responses to combined manipulations of CO2 and temperature. Global Change Biology 18: 2681–2693. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Elevated atmospheric CO2 stimulates shoot growth in a Florida scrub-oak ecosystem. Global Change Biology 8: 90–103. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. A carbon cycle science update since IPCC AR-4. Ambio 39: 402–412. , , , , , .
- 2003. Cross validation of open-top chamber and eddy covariance measurements of ecosystem CO2 exchange in a Florida scrub-oak ecosystem. Global Change Biology 9: 84–95. , , , , , .
- 2011. Increases in the flux of carbon belowground stimulate nitrogen uptake and sustain the long-term enhancement of forest productivity under elevated CO2. Ecology Letters 14: 349–357. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Research frontiers in the analysis of coupled biogeochemical cycles. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 9: 74–80. , , , , .
- 2007. Increases in nitrogen uptake rather than nitrogen-use efficiency support higher rates of temperate forest productivity under elevated CO2. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 14 014–14 019. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Stability of organic carbon in deep soil layers controlled by fresh carbon supply. Nature 450: 277–280. , , , , , .
- 2010. Carbon–climate feedbacks: a review of model and observation based estimates. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 2: 251–257. , .
- 2008. Transformation of the nitrogen cycle: recent trends, questions, and potential solutions. Science 320: 889–892. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Community-level physiological profiling performed with an oxygen-sensitive fluorophore in a microtiter plate. Applied & Environmental Microbiology 69: 2994–2998. , , , .
- 2011. Litterfall N-15 abundance indicates declining soil nitrogen availability in a free-air CO2 enrichment experiment. Ecology 92: 133–139. , , .
- 2010. Nitrogen cycling and feedbacks in a global dynamic land model. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 24, GB1001. , , , , .
- 2005. Net carbon storage in a poplar plantation (POPFACE) after three years of free-air CO2 enrichment. Tree Physiology 25: 1399–1408. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Potential nitrogen constraints on soil carbon sequestration under low and elevated atmospheric CO2. Ecology 87: 41–52. , , , , .
- 2006. Interactions between plant growth and soil nutrient cycling under elevated CO2: a meta-analysis. Global Change Biology 12: 2077–2091. , , , , .
- 2012. Increased greenhouse-gas intensity of rice production under future atmospheric conditions. Nature Climate Change 3: 288–291. , , .
- 2011. Increased soil emissions of potent greenhouse gases under increased atmospheric CO2. Nature 475: 214–216. , , .
- 2008. Elevated atmospheric CO2 fuels leaching of old dissolved organic matter at the alpine treeline. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 22: GB2004. , , , .
- 2008. Terrestrial ecosystem carbon dynamics and climate feedbacks. Nature 451: 289–292. , .
- 2007. Carbon dioxide effects on heterotrophic dinitrogen fixation in a temperate pine forest. Soil Science Society of America Journal 71: 140–144. , .
- 2004. More new carbon in the mineral soil of a poplar plantation under Free Air Carbon Enrichment (POPFACE): cause of increased priming effect? Global Biogeochemical Cycles 18: GB1040. .
- 1997a. Stimulation of grassland nitrogen cycling under carbon dioxide enrichment. Oecologia 109: 149–153. , , , , .
- 1999. Elevated CO2 increases nitrogen fixation and decreases soil nitrogen mineralization in Florida scrub oak. Global Change Biology 5: 781–789. , , , , .
- 2009. Assessing the effect of elevated carbon dioxide on soil carbon: a comparison of four meta-analyses. Global Change Biology 15: 2020–2034. , , , , , , , .
- 1997b. The fate of carbon in grasslands under carbon dioxide enrichment. Nature 388: 576–579. , , , , , .
- 1996. Detecting changes in soil carbon in CO2 enrichment experiments. Plant and Soil 187: 135–145. , , , .
- 2006. Nitrogen cycling during seven years of atmospheric CO2 enrichment in a scrub oak woodland. Ecology 87: 26–40. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997c. Elevated CO2 and nutrient addition alter soil N cycling and N trace gas fluxes with early season wet-up in a California annual grassland. Biogeochemistry 37: 89–109. , , , .
- 2002. Evapotranspiration and soil water content in a scrub-oak woodland under carbon dioxide enrichment. Global Change Biology 8: 289–298. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on net ecosystem CO2 exchange of a scrub-oak ecosystem. Global Change Biology 9: 1802–1812. , , , , , .
- 2012. Soil carbon and nitrogen cycling and storage throughout the soil profile in a sweetgum plantation after 11 years of CO2-enrichment. Global Change Biology 18: 1684–1697. , , , .
- 2008. CO2 enrichment increases carbon and nitrogen input from fine roots in a deciduous forest. New Phytologist 179: 837–847. , , .
- 2009. Nitrogen attenuation of terrestrial carbon cycle response to global environmental factors. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 23: GB4028. , , , , , .
- 2005. Elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide increases soil carbon. Global Change Biology 11: 2057–2064. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Nitrogen deposition and carbon sequestration. Nature 400: 629. , , .
- 1997. Effects of CO2 and nitrogen fertilization on vegetation and soil nutrient content in juvenile ponderosa pine. Plant and Soil 190: 29–40. , , .
- 2006. Ponderosa pine responses to elevated CO2 and nitrogen fertilization. Biogeochemistry 77: 157–175. , , , .
- 2001. Effects of elevated CO2 on nutrient cycling in forests. In: Karnosky DF, Ceulemans R, Scarascia-Mugnozza GE, Innes JL, eds. The impact of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases on forest ecosystems. Report No. 3 of the IUFRO Task Force on Environmental Change. Wallingford, UK: CAB, 237–268. , , .
- 1998. Effects of carbon dioxide and nitrogen on growth and nitrogen uptake in ponderosa and loblolly pine. Journal of Environmental Quality 27: 414–425. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Influence of elevated CO2 on the fungal community in a coastal scrub oak forest soil investigated with terminal-restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis. Applied & Environmental Microbiology 68: 4370–4376. , , , , .
- 2003. Ectomycorrhizal colonization, biomass, and production in a regenerating scrub oak forest in response to elevated CO2. Ecosystems 6: 424–430. , , , .
- 2002. Extensive belowground carbon storage supports roots and mycorrhizae in regenerating scrub oaks. Oecologia 131: 542–548. , , .
- 2009. Priming depletes soil carbon and releases nitrogen in a scrub-oak ecosystem exposed to elevated CO2. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 41: 54–60. , , , , , .
- 1994. Carbon-isotope dynamics of free-air CO2 enriched cotton and soils. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 70: 87–101. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Nitrogen limitation of net primary productivity in terrestrial ecosystems is globally distributed. Ecology 89: 371–379. , .
- 2007. Impacts of Hurricane Frances on Florida scrub-oak ecosystem processes: defoliation, net CO2 exchange and interactions with elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 13: 1101–1113. , , , , , , , , .
- 1926. Nitrogen availability of green manures. Soil Science Society of America Journal 22: 171–177. .
- 2006. Elevated CO2 stimulates net accumulations of carbon and nitrogen in land ecosystems: a meta-analysis. Ecology 87: 53–63. , , .
- 2011. Dynamic disequilibrium of the terrestrial carbon cycle under global change. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 26: 96–104. , .
- 2010. Indirect effects of soil moisture reverse soil C sequestration responses of a spring wheat agroecosystem to elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 16: 469–483. , , , , .
- 2009. Does deep soil N availability sustain long-term ecosystem responses to elevated CO2? Global Change Biology 15: 2035–2048. , , , , .
- 2008. Why is plant-growth response to elevated CO2 amplified when water is limiting, but reduced when nitrogen is limiting? A growth-optimisation hypothesis. Functional Plant Biology 35: 521–534. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Enhanced root-system C-sink activity, water relations and aspects of nutrient acquisition in mycotrophic Bouteloua gracilis subjected to CO2 enrichment. Plant and Soil 165: 139–146. , , , .
- 2004. Water relations in grassland and desert ecosystems exposed to elevated atmospheric CO2. Oecologia 140: 11–25. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Nitrogen deposition makes a minor contribution to carbon sequestration in temperate forests. Nature 398: 145–148. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Microlysimeter for measuring nitrogen mineralization and microbial respiration in aerobic soil incubations. Soil Science Society of America Journal 54: 411–415. .
- 2006. Estimating soil carbon sequestration under elevated CO2 by combining carbon isotope labelling with soil carbon cycle modelling. Global Change Biology 12: 1909–1921. , .
- 2001. Elevated CO2, litter chemistry, and decomposition: a synthesis. Oecologia 127: 153–167. , , , , .
- 2005. Forest response to elevated CO2 is conserved across a broad range of productivity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 18 052–18 056. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. CO2 enhancement of forest productivity constrained by limited nitrogen availability. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 19 368–19 373. , , , , .
- 2011. Ecological lessons from Free-Air CO2 Enrichment (FACE) experiments. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, & Systematics 42: 181–203. , .
- 1987. Analysis of factors controlling soil organic levels of grasslands in the Great Plains. Soil Science Society of America Journal 51: 1173–1179. , , , .
- 2008. Atmospheric CO2 enrichment and nutrient additions to planted soil increase mineralisation of soil organic matter, but do not alter microbial utilisation of plant- and soil C-sources. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 40: 2434–2440. , , , , , .
- 2012. Roots and fungi accelerate carbon and nitrogen cycling in forests exposed to elevated CO2. Ecology Letters 15: 1042–1049. , , , , , .
- 2006a. Nitrogen limitation constrains sustainability of ecosystem response to CO2. Nature 440: 922–925. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. Carbon–nitrogen interactions in terrestrial ecosystems in response to rising atmospheric carbon dioxide. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution & Systematics 37: 611–636. , , .
- 2012. Biodiversity, nitrogen deposition, and CO2 affect grassland soil carbon cycling but not storage. Ecosystems 15: 580–590. , , , .
- 2000. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration on C and N pools and rhizosphere processes in a Florida scrub oak community. Global Change Biology 6: 383–391. , , , .
- 2009. Disturbance, rainfall and contrasting species responses mediated aboveground biomass response over 11 years of CO2 enrichment in a Florida Scrub-Oak ecosystem. Global Change Biology 15: 356–367. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. How long before a change in soil organic carbon can be detected? Global Change Biology 10: 1878–1883. .
- 2008. Consequences of considering carbon–nitrogen interactions on the feedbacks between climate and the terrestrial carbon cycle. Journal of Climate 21: 3776–3796. , , , , , .
- 2007. Effect of elevated CO2 on coarse-root biomass in Florida scrub detected by ground-penetrating radar. Ecology 88: 1328–1334. , , , .
- 1993. Root-growth and functioning under atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Vegetatio 104: 99–115. , .
- 2008. Decomposition kinetics of soil carbon of different age from a forest exposed to 8 years of elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 40: 2670–2677. , .
- 2007. Influence of carbon-nitrogen cycle coupling on land model response to CO2 fertilization and climate variability. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 21: GB4018. , , , .
- 2000. Elevated CO2 and conifer roots: effects on growh, life span and turnover. New Phytologist 147: 87–103. , , .
- 2005. Accelerated belowground C cycling in a managed agriforest ecosystem exposed to elevated carbon dioxide concentrations. Global Change Biology 11: 1258–1271. , .
- 2009. Carbon losses in soils previously exposed to elevated atmospheric CO2 in a chaparral ecosystem: potential implications for a sustained biospheric C sink. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 102: 142–148. , , , , .
- 2005. Physiological and molecular characterization of microbial communities associated with different water-stable aggregate size classes. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 37: 2007–2016. , , , , .
- 1991. Carbon fluxes in plant-soil systems at elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide levels. Ecological Applications 1: 175–181. , , , .
- 1987. An extraction method for measuring soil microbial biomass C. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 19: 703–707. , , .
- 2009. Nitrogen constraints on terrestrial carbon uptake: implications for the global carbon-climate feedback. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L24403. , .
- 2008. Optimization of an oxygen-based approach for community-level physiological profiling of soils. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 40: 2960–2969. , , , .
- 2010. Carbon and nitrogen cycle dynamics in the O-CN land surface model: 2. Role of the nitrogen cycle in the historical terrestrial carbon balance. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 24: doi:10.1029/2009GB003522. , , , , , .
- 1993. Elevated atmospheric CO2 and feedback between carbon and nitrogen cycles. Plant and Soil 151: 105–117. , , , , , .
- 1996. Stimulation of symbiotic N-2 fixation in Trifolium repens L under elevated atmospheric pCO2 in a grassland ecosystem. Plant Physiology 112: 575–583. , , , , , , , , .