These authors contributed equally to this work.
Understanding ecological variation across species: area-based vs mass-based expression of leaf traits
Article first published online: 21 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 199, Issue 2, pages 322–323, July 2013
How to Cite
Westoby, M., Reich, P. B. and Wright, I. J. (2013), Understanding ecological variation across species: area-based vs mass-based expression of leaf traits. New Phytologist, 199: 322–323. doi: 10.1111/nph.12345
- Issue published online: 19 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 21 MAY 2013
- 1986. The photosynthesis–nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: Givnish TJ, ed. On the economy of plant form and function. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 25–55. , .
- 2013. Photosynthetically relevant foliar traits correlating better on a mass vs an an area basis: of ecophysiological relevance or just a case of mathematical imperatives and statistical quicksand? New Phytologist 199: 311–321. , , , .
- 1999. Components of leaf dry mass per area – thickness and density – alter leaf photosynthetic capacity in reverse directions in woody plants. New Phytologist 144: 35–47. .
- 1999. Reconciling the apparent difference between mass- and area-based expressions of the photosynthesis–nitrogen relationship. Oecologia 118: 144–150. .
- 1998. Leaf structure (specific leaf area) modulates photosynthesis–nitrogen relations: evidence from within and across species and functional groups. Functional Ecology 12: 948–958. , , .
- 1999. Generality of leaf trait relationships: a test across six biomes. Ecology 80: 1955–1969. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Photosynthesis–nitrogen relations in Amazonian tree species. 2. Variation in nitrogen vis-a-vis specific leaf area influences mass-based and area-based expressions. Oecologia 97: 73–81. , .
- 1997. From tropics to tundra: global convergence in plant functioning. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 13730–13734. , , .
- 2004. The world-wide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , et al.