Intracuticular wax fixes and restricts strain in leaf and fruit cuticles
Article first published online: 10 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 200, Issue 1, pages 134–143, October 2013
How to Cite
Khanal, B. P., Grimm, E., Finger, S., Blume, A. and Knoche, M. (2013), Intracuticular wax fixes and restricts strain in leaf and fruit cuticles. New Phytologist, 200: 134–143. doi: 10.1111/nph.12355
- Issue published online: 26 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 10 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 FEB 2013
- 2006. Structure–function relationships of the plant cuticle and cuticular waxes – a smart material? Functional Plant Biology 33: 893–910. , , , .
- 2005. Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) fruit growth and ripening as related to the biomechanical properties of fruit skin and isolated cuticle. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 1049–1060. , .
- 2012. Deposition, strain, and microcracking of the cuticle in developing ‘Riesling’ grape berries. Vitis 51: 1–6. , .
- 1998. Composition and variability of epicuticular waxes in apple cultivars. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 123: 348–356. , , , .
- 2000. Cuticular fractures promote postharvest fruit rot in sweet cherries. Plant Disease 84: 1180–1184. , , .
- 2011a. An overview on plant cuticle biomechanics. Plant Science 181: 77–84. , , .
- 2011b. The biophysical design of plant cuticles: an overview. New Phytologist 189: 938–949. , , .
- 1972. Russeting of apples, an interpretive review. HortScience 7: 233–235. , .
- 1990. The effect of the environment on the permeability and composition of Citrus leaf cuticles. I. Water permeability of isolated cuticular membranes. Planta 180: 147–153. , .
- 2003. Biophysical and biochemical characteristics of cutin, a plant barrier biopolymer. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1620: 1–7. .
- 1996. Structure and ontogeny of plant cuticles. In: Kerstiens G, ed. Plant cuticles: an integrated functional approach. Oxford, UK: Bios Scientific Publishers, 33–82. .
- 1996. Cuticular water permeability and its physiological significance. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1813–1832. .
- 2004. Changes in strain and deposition of cuticle in developing sweet cherry fruit. Physiologia Plantarum 120: 667–677. , , , , .
- 2007. Deposition and strain of the cuticle of developing European Plum fruit. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 132: 597–602. , .
- 1996. Biosynthetic pathways of cutin and waxes, and their sensitivity to environmental stresses. In: Kerstiens G, ed. Plant cuticles: an integrated functional approach. Oxford, UK: Bios Scientific Publishers, 83–84. .
- 2003. Biosynthesis and secretion of plant cuticular wax. Progress in Lipid Research 42: 51–80. , .
- 2004. Biomechanics and anatomy of Lycopersicon esculentum fruit peels and enzyme-treated samples. American Journal of Botany 91: 352–360. , , , , .
- 1998. Phase behaviour and crystallinity of plant cuticular waxes studied by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. Planta 204: 44–53. , , .
- 1955. The isolation of plant cuticle with pectic enzymes. Plant Physiology 30: 78–80. .
- 2005. Characterization of microcracks in the cuticle of developing sweet cherry fruit. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 130: 487–495. , .
- 1995. Rheological properties of enzymatically isolated tomato fruit cuticle. Plant Physiology 109: 675–679. , .
- 1994. Structures and molecular dynamics of ant waxes. II. Cuticular waxes from leaves of Fagus sylvatica L. and Hordeum vulgare L. European Biophysics Journal 23: 59–70. , .
- 2001. Protecting against water loss: analysis of the barrier properties of plant cuticles. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 2023–2032. , .
- 2001. Detection of coating waxes on apples by differential scanning calorimetry. European Food Research Technology 212: 603–607. , , , .
- 2008. Sealing plant surfaces: cuticular wax formation by epidermal cells. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 683–707. , , .
- 1955. Properties of pure normal alkanes in the C17 to C36 range. Journal of the American Chemical Society 77: 2017–2019. , , , .
- 1986. A simple method for the removal and assessment of foliar deposits of agrochemicals using cellulose acetate film stripping. Aspects of Applied Biology 11: 13–17. , .
- 2012. Growth-dependent chemical and mechanical properties of cuticular membranes from leaves of Sonneratia alba. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 1201–1210. , , , , .
- 1990. Structural biomaterials. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 1997. Strain amplification effects in polymer networks. Physica B 234–236: 306–307. , , , , .
- 1964. Penetration of ions through isolated cuticles. Plant Physiology 39: 28–32. , , .
- 1988. Nuclear magnetic resonance studies of cutin, an insoluble plant polyester. Macromolecules 21: 2412–2417. , .