The oxygen isotope enrichment of leaf-exported assimilates – does it always reflect lamina leaf water enrichment?
Article first published online: 13 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 200, Issue 1, pages 144–157, October 2013
How to Cite
Gessler, A., Brandes, E., Keitel, C., Boda, S., Kayler, Z. E., Granier, A., Barbour, M., Farquhar, G. D. and Treydte, K. (2013), The oxygen isotope enrichment of leaf-exported assimilates – does it always reflect lamina leaf water enrichment?. New Phytologist, 200: 144–157. doi: 10.1111/nph.12359
- Issue published online: 26 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 13 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 FEB 2013
- Swiss National Science Foundation
- 2007. Stable oxygen isotope composition of plant tissue: a review. Functional Plant Biology 34: 83–94. .
- 2000. Relative humidity- and ABA-induced variation in carbon and oxygen isotope ratios of cotton leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 473–485. , .
- 2004. Expressing leaf water and cellulose oxygen isotope ratios as enrichment above source water reveals evidence of a Peclet effect. Oecologia 138: 426–435. , , , .
- 2000. Variation in the oxygen isotope ratio of phloem sap sucrose from castor bean. Evidence in support of the Peclet effect. Plant Physiology 123: 671–679. , , , , .
- 2002. Seasonal variation in delta 13C and delta 18O of cellulose from growth rings of Pinus radiata. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1483–1499. , , .
- 2007. Evaporative enrichment and time lags between delta 18O of leaf water and organic pools in a pine stand. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 539–550. , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis in a mature Scots pine forest.1. Diurnal, seasonal and spatial variation in shoots. Journal of Applied Ecology 22: 557–571. , , , .
- 2008. Hexoses as phloem transport sugars: the end of a dogma? Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 261–272. , .
- 2007. Interspecific variability of stem photosynthesis among tree species. Tree Physiology 27: 53–61. , , .
- 2006. Short-term variation in the isotopic composition of organic matter allocated from the leaves to the stem of Pinus sylvestris: effects of photosynthetic and postphotosynthetic carbon isotope fractionation. Global Change Biology 12: 1922–1939. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Assessing environmental and physiological controls over water relations in a Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) stand through analyses of stable isotope composition of water and organic matter. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 113–127. , , , , , , , .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas-exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 2005. Environmental and physiological controls over oxygen and carbon isotope composition of Tasmanian blue gum, Eucalyptus globulus. Tree Physiology 25: 129–146. , , .
- 2003. Oxygen isotope composition of phloem sap in relation to leaf water in Ricinus communis. Functional Plant Biology 30: 1059–1070. , , .
- 1965. Deuterium and oxygen-18 variations in the ocean and the marine atmosphere. In: Tongiorgi E, ed. Proceedings of a conference on stable isotopes in oceanographic studies and palaeotemperatures. Spoleto, Italy: Lischi and Figli, 9–130. , .
- 2007. Modelling advection and diffusion of water isotopologues in leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 892–909. , , , , .
- 1979. Relationship between the oxygen isotope ratios of terrestrial plant cellulose, carbon dioxide, and water. Science 204: 51–53. , .
- 1981. Isotopic composition of cellulose from aquatic organisms. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 45: 1885–1894. , .
- 1974. On the enrichment of H218O in the leaves of transpiring plants. Radiation and Environmental Biophysics 11: 41–52. , , , .
- 2000. Assessing ecosystem-level water relations through stable isotope ratio analyses. In: Sala OE, Jackson R, Mooney HA, Howarth R, eds. Methods in ecosystem science. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 181–198. , , .
- 2011. Metabolite profiling of the moss Physcomitrella patens reveals evolutionary conservation of osmoprotective substances. Plant Cell Reports 31: 427–436. , , , .
- 1998. Interpretation of oxygen isotope composition of leaf material. In: Griffiths H, ed. Chapter 3, Stable isotopes: integration of biological, ecological and geochemical processes. Oxford, UK: BIOS Scientific Publishers, 27–62. , , .
- 2005. On the isotopic composition of leaf water in the non-steady state. Functional Plant Biology 32: 293–303. , .
- 2003. On the progressive enrichment of the oxygen isotopic composition of water along a leaf (Reprinted from Plant, Cell and Environment, vol 26, pg 801–819, 2003). Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1579–1597. , .
- 1993. Carbon and oxygen isotope effects in the exchange of carbon dioxide between terrestrial plants and the atmosphere. In: Ehleringer JR, Hall AE, Farquhar GD, eds. Stable isotopes and plant carbon–water relations. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 47–70. , .
- 2009. Effect of water availability on leaf water isotopic enrichment in beech seedlings shows limitations of current fractionation models. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1285–1296. , , , , , .
- 2012. The Péclet effect on leaf water enrichment correlates with leaf hydraulic conductance and mesophyll conductance for CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 611–625. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Photosynthetic gas-exchange and the stable-isotope composition of leaf water – comparison of a xylem-tapping mistletoe and its host. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 623–631. , , .
- 2009a. Tracing carbon and oxygen isotope signals from newly assimilated sugars in the leaves to the tree ring archive. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 780–795. , , , , , .
- 2007a. δ13C of organic matter transported from the leaves to the roots in Eucalyptus delegatensis: short-term variations and relation to respired CO2. Functional Plant Biology 34: 692–706. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007b. Oxygen isotope enrichment of organic matter in Ricinus communis during the diel course and as affected by assimilate transport. New Phytologist 174: 600–613. , , , .
- 2004. Stable isotope composition of organic compounds transported in the phloem of European beech – evaluation of different methods of phloem sap collection and assessment of gradients in carbon isotope composition during leaf-to-stem transport. Plant Biology 6: 721–729. , , .
- 2009b. On the metabolic origin of the carbon isotope composition of CO2 evolved from darkened light-adapted leaves in Ricinus communis. New Phytologist 181: 374–386. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Combining delta 13C and delta 18O analyses to unravel competition, CO2 and O3 effects on the physiological performance of different-aged trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 1023–1034. , , , , .
- 2000. Water balance, transpiration and canopy conductance in two beech stands. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 100: 291–308. , , .
- 2002. Differential 18O enrichment of leaf cellulose in C3 versus C4 grasses. Functional Plant Biology 29: 435–442. , .
- 2008. Impacts of summer water limitation on the carbon balance of a Scots pine forest in the southern upper Rhine plane. Agricultural & Forest Meteorology 148: 1815–1826. , , , , , .
- 2008. Effects of environmental parameters, leaf physiological properties and leaf water relations on leaf water delta 18O enrichment in different Eucalyptus species. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 738–751. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Carbon isotopic composition and oxygen isotopic enrichment in phloem and total leaf organic matter of European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) along a climate gradient. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1492–1507. , , , .
- 1966. The biosynthesis of cyclitols. Angewandte Chemie-International Edition in English 5: 165–173. , , .
- 2005. GMD @ CSB.DB: the Golm Metabolome Database. Bioinformatics 21: 1635–1638. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Phloem loading and unloading of sugars and amino acids. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 37–56. , , , , .
- 2005. Carbon and water fluxes over a temperate Eucalyptus forest and a tropical wet/dry savanna in Australia: measurements and comparison with MODros. Inf. Serv. remote sensing estimates. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 129: 151–173. , , , .
- 2011. Symplasmic transport and phloem loading in gymnosperm leaves. Protoplasma 248: 181–190. , , .
- 2001. Stomatal density and needle anatomy of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) are affected by elevated CO2. New Phytologist 150: 665–674. , , .
- 2008. Mechanisms of plant survival and mortality during drought: why do some plants survive while others succumb to drought? New Phytologist 178: 719–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Measurement of unloading and reloading of photo-assimilate within the stem of bean. Journal of Experimental Botany 38: 211–220. , .
- 2010. Timing and duration of European larch growing season along altitudinal gradients in the Swiss Alps. Tree Physiology 30: 225–233. , , , , , , .
- 2011. The long way down-are carbon and oxygen isotope signals in the tree ring uncoupled from canopy physiological processes? Tree Physiology 31: 1088–1102. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Comparison of measured and modeled variations in pinon pine leaf water isotopic enrichment across a summer moisture gradient. Oecologia 145: 605–618. , , .
- 2009. Preparation of starch and soluble sugars of plant material for the analysis of carbon isotope composition: a comparison of methods. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23: 2476–2488. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Carbon and oxygen isotope ratios of tree ring cellulose along a precipitation transect in Oregon, United States. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences 110: G02003. , , , , .
- 1999a. Hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios of tree-ring cellulose for riparian trees grown long-term under hydroponically controlled environments. Oecologia 121: 467–477. , .
- 1999b. Observations of hydrogen and oxygen isotopes in leaf water confirm the Craig-Gordon model under wide-ranging environmental conditions. Plant Physiology 120: 1165–1173. , .
- 2000. A mechanistic model for interpretation of hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios in tree-ring cellulose. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 64: 21–35. , , .
- 2002. Spatial and temporal oxygen isotope trends at the northern tree-line in Eurasia. Geophysical Research Letters 29. doi: 10.1029/2001GL013739. , , , , .
- 2001. 18O pattern and biosynthesis of natural plant products. Phytochemistry 58: 9–32. , , .
- 1996. Soluble N compounds in trees exposed to high loads of N: a comparison of spruce (Picea abies) and beech (Fagus sylvatica) grown under field conditions. New Phytologist 134: 103–114. , , , , , .
- 2013. Transpiration rate relates to within- and across- species variations in effective pathlength in a leaf water model of oxygen isotope enrichment. Plant, Cell & Environment. 36: 1338–1351. , , , , .
- 2009. Oxygen stable isotope ratios of tree-ring cellulose: the next phase of understanding. New Phytologist 181: 553–562. .
- 1983. Bio-geochemical implications of the isotopic equilibrium fractionation factor between oxygen atoms of acetone and water. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 47: 2271–2274. , .
- 2011. Divergent biochemical fractionation, not convergent temperature, explains cellulose oxygen isotope enrichment across latitudes. PLoS ONE 6: e28040. , .
- 1986. Oxygen isotope exchange between metabolites and water during biochemical reactions leading to cellulose synthesis. Plant Physiology 82: 423–427. , , .
- 1993. Maturation in larch: age-related changes in xylem development in the long-shoot foliage and the main stem. Tree Physiology 13: 253–262. , .
- 2005. Is the bark of shining gum (Eucalyptus nitens) a sun or a shade leaf? Trees-Structure and Function 19: 415–421. , , .
- 2006. The twentieth century was the wettest period in northern Pakistan over the past millennium. Nature 440: 1179–1182. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Strategies of phloem loading. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 44: 253–281. .
- 2003. The phloem, a miracle of ingenuity. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 125–149. .
- 1992. Ecophysiology of phloem loading in source leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 265–270. , .
- 1997. Seasonal changes in stable carbon isotope ratios within annual rings of Pinus radiata reflect environmental regulation of grwoth processes. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 24: 57–68. , , , .
- 1995. Temporal and spatial variations in the oxygen-18 content of leaf water in different plant species. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 1377–1385. , .
- 1998. Non-climatic variations in the oxygen isotopic compositions of plants. Global Change Biology 4: 835–849. , , .
- 2012. Progress and challenges in using stable isotopes to trace plant carbon and water relations across scales. Biogeosciences 9: 3083–3111. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Oxygen and hydrogen isotope fractionation during cellulose metabolism in Lemna gibba L. Plant Physiology 93: 325–332. , .