Contribution of subgenomes to the transcriptome and their intertwined regulation in the allopolyploid Coffea arabica grown at contrasted temperatures
Version of Record online: 24 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 200, Issue 1, pages 251–260, October 2013
How to Cite
Combes, M.-C., Dereeper, A., Severac, D., Bertrand, B. and Lashermes, P. (2013), Contribution of subgenomes to the transcriptome and their intertwined regulation in the allopolyploid Coffea arabica grown at contrasted temperatures. New Phytologist, 200: 251–260. doi: 10.1111/nph.12371
- Issue online: 26 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 24 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 APR 2013
- 2007. Evolution of duplicate gene expression in polyploid and hybrid plants. Journal of Heredity 98: 136–141. .
- 2003. Genes duplicated by polyploidy show unequal contributions to the transcriptome and organ-specific reciprocal silencing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 4649–4654. , , , .
- 2004. Organ-specific silencing of duplicated genes in a newly synthesized cotton allotetraploid. Genetics 168: 2217–2226. , , .
- 2010. Differential expression analysis for sequence count data. Genome Biology 11: R106. , .
- 2010. Adaptive radiation in Coffea subgenus Coffea L. (Rubiaceae) in Africa and Madagascar. Plant Systematics and Evolution 285: 51–64. , , , .
- 2011. Genomic expression dominance in the natural allopolyploid Coffea arabica is massively affected by growth temperature. New Phytologist 192: 760–774. , , , , .
- 2001. Accelerated regulatory gene evolution in an adaptive radiation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 10 208–10 213. , , .
- 2005. Dosage balance in gene regulation: biological implications. Trends in Genetics 21: 219–226. , , , .
- 2007. The gene balance hypothesis: from classical genetics to modern genomics. Plant Cell 19: 395–402. , .
- 2004. Widespread paleopolyploidy in model plant species inferred from age distributions of duplicate genes. Plant Cell 16: 1667–1678. , .
- 2012. Deciphering the complex leaf transcriptome of the allotetraploid species Nicotiana tabacum: a phylogenomic perspective. BMC Genomics 13: 406. , , , .
- 2010b. Characterization of duplicate gene evolution in the recent natural allopolyploid Tragopogon miscellus by next-generation sequencing and Sequenom iPLEX MassARRAY genotyping. Molecular Ecology 19: 132–146. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010a. Tissue-specific silencing of homoeologs in natural populations of the recent allopolyploid Tragopogon mirus. New Phytologist 186: 175–183. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Next-generation sequencing and genome evolution in allopolyploids. American Journal of Botany 99: 372–382. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Transcriptomic shock generates evolutionary novelty in a newly formed, natural allopolyploid plant. Current Biology 21: 551–556. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Genome evolution in diploid and tetraploid Coffea species as revealed by comparative analysis of orthologous genome segments. Plant Molecular Biology 78: 135–145. , , .
- 2009. Reciprocal silencing, transcriptional bias and functional divergence of homeologs in polyploid cotton (Gossypium). Genetics 182: 503–517. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Genetic and epigenetic mechanisms for gene expression and phenotypic variation in plant polyploids. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 377–406. .
- 2006. Mechanisms of genomic rearrangements and gene expression changes in plant polyploids. BioEssays 28: 240–252. , .
- 2005. The advantages and disadvantages of being polyploid. Nature Reviews Genetics 6: 836–846. .
- 2012. Homeologous gene expression in response to growing temperature in a recent allopolyploid (Coffea arabica L.). Journal of Heredity 103: 36–46. , , , , .
- 2008. Blast2GO: a comprehensive suite for functional analysis in plant genomics. International Journal of Plant Genomics 2008: 1–13. , .
- 2005. Blast2GO: a universal tool for annotation, visualization and analysis in functional genomics research. Bioinformatics 21: 3674–3676. , , , , , .
- 1998. Phylogenetic analysis of chloroplast DNA variation in Coffea L. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 9: 109–117. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Impacts of drought and temperature stress on coffee physiology and production: a review. Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology 18: 55–81. , .
- 2006. An annotated taxonomic conspectus of the genus Coffea (Rubiaceae). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 152: 465–512. , , , .
- 2011. Differential contributions to the transcriptome of duplicated genes in response to abiotic stresses in natural and synthetic polyploids. New Phytologist 190: 1045–1057. , .
- 2008. Duplicate gene expression in allopolyploid Gossypium reveals two temporally distinct phases of expression evolution. BMC Biology 6: 16. , , , .
- 2009. Coordinated and fine-scale control of homoeologous gene expression in allotetraploid cotton. Journal of Heredity 100: 487–490. , , , .
- 2010. Evolutionary rate variation, genomic dominance and duplicate gene expression evolution during allotetraploid cotton speciation. New Phytologist 186: 184–193. , .
- 2006. Gene-balanced duplication, like tetraploidy, provide predictable drive to increase morphological complexity. Genome Research 16: 805–814. , .
- 2012. Homoeolog expression bias and expression level dominance in allopolyploids. New Phytologist 196: 966–971. , , , , , .
- 2011. Hybridization: expressing yourself in a crowd. Current Biology 21: R254–R255. .
- 2008. Changes to gene expression associated with hybrid speciation in plants: further insights from transcriptomic studies in Senecio. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 363: 3055–3069. , , , , , .
- 2006. Transcriptome shock after interspecific hybridization in Senecio is ameliorated by genome duplication. Current Biology 16: 1652–1659. , , , , , .
- 2009. The complex nature of allopolyploid plant genomes. Heredity 103: 100–101. , .
- 2012. Use of mRNA-seq to discriminate contributions to the transcriptome from the constituent genomes of the polyploid crop species Brassica napus. BMC Genomics 13: 247. , , , , .
- 2008. Partitioned expression of duplicated genes during development and evolution of a single cell in a polyploid plant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 6191–6195. , , , , , .
- 2012. A comparative transcriptomic study of an allotetraploid and its diploid progenitors illustrates the unique advantages and challenges of RNA-seq in plant species. American Journal of Botany 99: 383–396. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Genomic and expression plasticity of polyploidy. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 13: 153–159. , .
- 2011. Ancestral polyploidy in seed plants and angiosperms. Nature 473: 97–100. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Identification, characterization and interpretation of single-nucleotide sequence variation in allopolyploid crop species. Plant Biotechnology Journal 10: 125–138. , , .
- 2011. Unstable transcripts in Arabidopsis allotetraploids are associated with nonadditive gene expression in response to abiotic and biotic stresses. PLoS ONE 6: e24251. , .
- 2000. Single-locus inheritance in the allotetraploid Coffea arabica L. and interspecific hybrid C. arabica × C. canephora. Journal of Heredity 91: 81–85. .
- 2010. Genetic and physical mapping of the SH3 region that confers resistance to leaf rust in coffee tree (Coffea arabica L.). Tree Genetics & Genomes 6: 973–980. , , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular characterisation and origin of the Coffea arabica L. genome. Molecular and General Genetics 261: 259–266. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Phylogenetic relationships of coffee-tree species (Coffea L.) as inferred from ITS sequences of nuclear ribosomal DNA. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 94: 947–955. , , , .
- 2008. Genomic plasticity and the diversity of polyploid plants. Science 320: 481–483. , .
- 2009. Fast and accurate short read alignment with Burrows-Wheeler transform. Bioinformatics 25: 1754–1760. , .
- 2007. Expression partitioning between genes duplicated by polyploidy under abiotic stress and during organ development. Current Biology 17: 1669–1674. , .
- 2000. The evolutionary fate and consequences of duplicate genes. Science 290: 1151–1155. , .
- 2013. Polyploidy and its effects on evolutionary success: old questions revisited with new tools. Heredity 110: 99–104. .
- 2010. The Genome Analysis Toolkit: a MapReduce framework for analyzing next-generation DNA sequencing data. Genome Research 20: 1297–1303. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Discrimination of homoeologous gene expression in hexaploid wheat by SNP analysis of contigs grouped from a large number of expressed sequence tags. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 270: 371–377. , , .
- 2008. Mapping and quantifying mammalian transcriptomes by RNA-Seq. Nature Methods 5: 621–628. , , , , .
- 2005. Three genomes differentially contribute to the biosynthesis of benzoxazinones in hexaploid wheat. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 16 490–16 495. , , , , .
- 2003. Understanding mechanisms of novel gene expression in polyploids. Trends in Genetics 19: 141–147. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Polyploid incidence and evolution. Annual Review of Genetics 34: 401–437. , .
- 2009. Parental squabbles and genome expression: lessons from the polyploids. Journal of Biology 8: 43. , .
- 2009. Genomic expression dominance in allopolyploids. BMC Biology 7: 18. , , .
- 2003. Effects of reunited diverged regulatory hierarchies in allopolyploids and species hybrids. Trends in Genetics 19: 597–600. , .
- 2012. Cis- and trans-regulatory divergence between progenitor species determines gene-expression novelty in Arabidopsis allopolyploids. Nature Communications 3: 950. , , , , , .
- 2009. A quantitative genomic imbalance gene expression assay in a hexaploid species: wheat (Triticum aestivum). Genome/National Research Council Canada 52: 89–94. , , .
- 2008. Cellular reaction to gene dosage imbalance: genomic, transcriptomic and proteomic effects. Trends in Genetics 24: 390–397. , , .
- 2010. A high-throughput data mining of single nucleotide polymorphisms in Coffea species expressed sequence tags suggests differential homeologous gene expression in the allotetraploid Coffea arabica. Plant Physiology 154: 1053–1066. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Genomewide nonadditive gene regulation in Arabidopsis allotetraploids. Genetics 172: 507–517. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Evolutionary changes in cis- and trans- gene regulation. Nature 430: 85–88. , , .
- 2012. Homeolog expression bias and expression level dominance in allopolyploid cotton. Heredity 110: 171–180. , , .
- 2011. Micro-collinearity and genome evolution in the vicinity of an ethylene receptor gene of cultivated diploid and allopolyploid coffee species (Coffea). Plant Journal 67: 305–317. , , , , , , , , , et al.