These authors contributed equally to this work.
Nitrogen deprivation promotes Populus root growth through global transcriptome reprogramming and activation of hierarchical genetic networks
Article first published online: 25 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Drought-induced forest mortality’
Volume 200, Issue 2, pages 483–497, October 2013
How to Cite
Wei, H., Yordanov, Y. S., Georgieva, T., Li, X. and Busov, V. (2013), Nitrogen deprivation promotes Populus root growth through global transcriptome reprogramming and activation of hierarchical genetic networks. New Phytologist, 200: 483–497. doi: 10.1111/nph.12375
- Issue published online: 18 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 25 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 FEB 2013
- US Department of Energy (DOE)
- Poplar Genome Based Research for Carbon Sequestration in Terrestrial Ecosystems. Grant Numbers: DE-FG02-06ER64185, and DE-FG02-05ER64113
- the Consortium for Plant Biotechnology Research, Inc.. Grant Number: GO12026-203A
- the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) CSREES
- USDA-NRI Plant Genome program. Grant Number: 2003-04345
- USDA CSREES, the Biotechnology Risk Assessment Research Grants Program. Grant Numbers: 2004-35300-14687, 2009-65504-05767, and ER65454-1040591-0018445
- 2012. A zinc finger protein gene ZFP5 integrates phytohormone signaling to control root hair development in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 72: 474–490. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Reverse engineering of regulatory networks in human B cells. Nature Genetics 37: 382–390. , , , , , .
- 2000a. The efficiency of Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae) root hairs in phosphorus acquisition. American Journal of Botany 87: 964–970. , .
- 2000b. Plant growth and phosphorus accumulation of wild type and two root hair mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 87: 958–963. , .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple Testing. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series B 57: 289–300. , .
- 2012. Spatiotemporal regulation of lateral root organogenesis in Arabidopsis by cytokinin. Plant Cell 24: 3967–3981. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Cytokinin signaling during root development. International Review of Cell and Molecular Biology 276: 1–48. , , .
- 2001. Minimum information about a microarray experiment (MIAME)-toward standards for microarray data. Nature Genetics 29: 365–371. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Rank products: a simple, yet powerful, new method to detect differentially regulated genes in replicated microarray experiments. FEBS Letters 573: 83–92. , , , .
- 2004. The Poplar genome sequence: functional genomics in a keystone plant species. Trends in Plant Science 9: 49–56. , , .
- 2003. Activation tagging of a dominant gibberellin catabolism gene (GA 2-oxidase) from poplar that regulates tree stature. Plant Physiology 132: 1283–1291. , , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular aspects of nitrogen mobilization and recycling in trees. Photosynthesis Research 83: 265–278. , , .
- 2001. Auxin transport promotes Arabidopsis lateral root initiation. Plant Cell 13: 843–852. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Nitrogen and phosphorus interaction and cytokinin: responses of the primary root of Arabidopsis thaliana and the pdr1 mutant. Plant Science 198: 91–97. , .
- 2005. Genetic analysis of maize root characteristics in response to low nitrogen stress. Plant and Soil 276: 369–382. , , , , .
- 2011. Quantifying the effect of nitrogen-induced physiological and structural changes on poplar growth using a carbon-balance model. Tree physiology 31: 381–390. , , , , .
- 2001. Carbon and nitrogen sensing and signaling in plants: emerging ‘matrix effects’. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 4: 247–253. , .
- 2011. Root-localized phytochrome chromophore synthesis is required for photoregulation of root elongation and impacts root sensitivity to jasmonic acid in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 157: 1138–1150. , , , .
- 2003. An abscisic acid-sensitive checkpoint in lateral root development of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 33: 543–555. , , , , , .
- 2011. Transcriptional and post-transcriptional regulation of a NAC1 transcription factor in Medicago truncatula roots. New Phytologist 191: 647–661. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1975. Comparison of effects of localized supply of phosphate, nitrate, ammonium and potassium on growth of seminal root system, and shoot, in barley. New Phytologist 75: 479–490. .
- 2006. Medicago truncatula CRE1 cytokinin receptor regulates nodulation and lateral root development. Plant Cell 18: 2419. .
- 2006. Alcohol-inducible gene expression in transgenic Populus. Plant Cell Reports 25: 660–667. , , , , , .
- 2005. Nitrate and glutamate sensing by plant roots. Biochemical Society Transactions 33(Pt 1): 283–286. , , , .
- 2000. Root growth plasticity of hybrid poplar in response to soil nutrient graidients. Journal of Sustainable Forestry 10: 133–140. , , , .
- 2011. Novel temporal, fine-scale and growth variation phenotypes in roots of adult-stage maize (Zea mays L.) in response to low nitrogen stress. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 2122–2137. , , , , .
- 2008. Cell-specific nitrogen responses mediate developmental plasticity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 803–808. , , , , .
- 2006. The Medicago truncatula CRE1 cytokinin receptor regulates lateral root development and early symbiotic interaction with Sinorhizobium meliloti. Plant Cell 18: 2680–2693. , , .
- 2004. Can less yield more? Is reducing nutrient input into the environment compatible with maintaining crop production? Trends in Plant Science 9: 597–605. , , .
- 2012. Transcription factor WRKY23 assists auxin distribution patterns during Arabidopsis root development through local control on flavonol biosynthesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: 1554–1559. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. MicroRNA directs mRNA cleavage of the transcription factor NAC1 to downregulate auxin signals for Arabidopsis lateral root development. Plant Cell 17: 1376–1386. , , , .
- 2010. Influence of nitrogen fertilization on xylem traits and aquaporin expression in stems of hybrid poplar. Tree Physiology 30: 1016–1025. , , , , , .
- 2000. An Agrobacterium tumefaciens transformation protocol effective on a variety of cottonwood hybrids (genus Populus). Plant Cell Reports 19: 315–320. , , , .
- 2007. The challenge of improving nitrogen use efficiency in crop plants: towards a more central role for genetic variability and quantitative genetics within integrated approaches. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2369–2387. , , , .
- 2009. CHL1 functions as a nitrate sensor in plants. Cell 138: 1184–1194. , , , .
- 1978. Transfection and transformation of Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Molecular and General Genetics 163: 181–187. , , , , , .
- 2003. Exploration, normalization, and summaries of high density oligonucleotide array probe level data. Biostatistics 4: 249–264. , , , , , , .
- 2002. GATEWAY vectors for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Trends in Plant Science 7: 193–195. , , .
- 1986. The promoter of Tl-DNA gene 5 controls the tissue-specific expression of chimeric genes carried by a novel type of Agrobacterium binary vector. Molecular & General Genetics 204: 383–396. , .
- 2011. Arabidopsis roots and shoots show distinct temporal adaptation patterns toward nitrogen starvation. Plant Physiology 157: 1255–1282. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010a. Nitrate signaling: adaptation to fluctuating environments. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 13: 266–273. , , , .
- 2010b. Nitrate-regulated auxin transport by NRT1.1 defines a mechanism for nutrient sensing in plants. Developmental Cell 18: 927–937. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Genome-wide characterization of new and drought stress responsive microRNAs in Populus euphratica. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 3765–3779. , , , , .
- 2009. Identification of microRNAs and their targets from Populus euphratica. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 388: 272–277. , , .
- 2012. Identification of nitrogen starvation-responsive MicroRNAs in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS ONE 7: e48951. , , .
- 2005. The putative high-affinity nitrate transporter NRT2.1 represses lateral root initiation in response to nutritional cues. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 13693–13698. , , , , , .
- 2008. Stress-responsive microRNAs in Populus. Plant Journal 55: 131–151. , , .
- 2005. Intrinsic and environmental response pathways that regulate root system architecture. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 67–77. .
- 2001. Environmental regulation of lateral root initiation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 127: 899–909. , .
- 2011. Increased glutamine in leaves of poplar transgenic with pine GS1a caused greater anthranilate synthetase alpha-subunit (ASA1) transcript and protein abundances: an auxin-related mechanism for enhanced growth in GS transgenics? Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 4423–4431. , , , .
- 2006. ARACNE: an algorithm for the reconstruction of gene regulatory networks in a mammalian cellular context. BMC Bioinformatics 7(Suppl 1): S7. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Root development: cytokinin transport matters, too!. Current Biology 21: R423–R425. , , .
- 2011. TF-Cluster: a pipeline for identifying functionally coordinated transcription factors via network decomposition of the shared coexpression connectivity matrix (SCCM). BMC Systems Biology 5: 53. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Response of transgenic poplar overexpressing cytosolic glutamine synthetase to phosphinothricin. Phytochemistry 69: 382–389. , , , , .
- 2005. Identification of genes required for cellulose synthesis by regression analysis of public microarray data sets. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 8633–8638. , , , , .
- 2012. Control of Arabidopsis root development. Annual Review of Plant Biology 63: 563–590. , , .
- 1995. Atmospheric CO2, soil nitrogen and turnover of fine roots. New Phytologist 129: 579–585. , , , , , .
- 2008. Agricultural sustainability: concepts, principles and evidence. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B, Biological Sciences 363: 447–465. .
- 2006a. The Arabidopsis NRT1.1 transporter participates in the signaling pathway triggering root colonization of nitrate-rich patches. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 19206–19211. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. A central role for the nitrate transporter NRT2.1 in the integrated morphological and physiological responses of the root system to nitrogen limitation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 140: 909–921. , , , , , , .
- 2012. The Pht1;9 and Pht1;8 transporters mediate inorganic phosphate acquisition by the Arabidopsis thaliana root during phosphorus starvation. New Phytologist 195: 356–371. , , , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis cytokinin receptor mutants reveal functions in shoot growth, leaf senescence, seed size, germination, root development, and cytokinin metabolism. Plant Cell 18: 40–54. , , , .
- 2008. Agriculture. Sustainable biofuels redux. Science 322: 49–50. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Phytochrome coordinates Arabidopsis shoot and root development. Plant Journal 50: 429–438. , , , .
- 2006. Characterization of low phosphorus insensitive mutants reveals a crosstalk between low phosphorus-induced determinate root development and the activation of genes involved in the adaptation of Arabidopsis to phosphorus deficiency. Plant Physiology 140: 879–889. , , , , , .
- 2001. ABA plays a central role in mediating the regulatory effects of nitrate on root branching in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 28: 655–662. , , , .
- 2008. Inhibition of maize root growth by high nitrate supply is correlated with reduced IAA levels in roots. Journal of Plant Physiology 165: 942–951. , , , , .
- 1999. Control of auxin-regulated root development by the Arabidopsis thaliana SHY2/IAA3 gene. Development 126: 711–721. , .
- 2004. Isolation and functional analysis of Arabidopsis stress-inducible NAC transcription factors that bind to a drought-responsive cis-element in the early responsive to dehydration stress 1 promoter. Plant Cell 16: 2481–2498. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Genome-wide analysis of the structural genes regulating defense phenylpropanoid metabolism in Populus. New Phytologist 172: 47–62. , , , , .
- 2010a. Nitrate-responsive miR393/AFB3 regulatory module controls root system architecture in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 4477–4482. , , , , , , .
- 2010b. Gene networks for nitrogen sensing, signaling, and response in Arabidopsis thaliana. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews. Systems Biology and Medicine 2: 683–693. , , .
- 2006. Nitrogen regulation of root branching. Annals of Botany 97: 875–881. , , , , , .
- 1999. Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase plays a role in interactions of carbon and nitrogen metabolism during grape seed development. Planta 210: 9–18. , , , , , .
- 2011. Spatial-specific regulation of root development by phytochromes in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Signaling & Behavior 6: 2047–2050. , .
- 2013. Global transcriptome profiling of aspen trees under elevated [CO2] for identifying potential molecular mechanisms responsible for enhanced growth. Journal of Plant Research 126: 305–320. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Growth response of cottonwood roots to varied NH4:NO3 ratios in enriched patches. Tree Physiology 23: 427–432. , .
- 2000. Arabidopsis NAC1 transduces auxin signal downstream of TIR1 to promote lateral root development. Genes & Development 14: 3024–3036. , , , .
- 2002. SINAT5 promotes ubiquitin-related degradation of NAC1 to attenuate auxin signals. Nature 419: 167–170. , , , , , .
- 2010. Members of the lateral organ boundaries domain (LBD) transcription factors family are involved in regulation of secondary growth in Populus. Plant Cell 22: 3662–3677. , , .
- 2001. InterProScan–an integration platform for the signature-recognition methods in InterPro. Bioinformatics 17: 847–848. , .
- 1998. An Arabidopsis MADS box gene that controls nutrient-induced changes in root architecture. Science 279: 407–409. , .
- 2007. Signalling mechanisms underlying the morphological responses of the root system to nitrogen in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2329–2338. , , .
- 2001. The poplar bark storage protein gene (Bspa) promoter is responsive to photoperiod and nitrogen in transgenic poplar and active in floral tissues, immature seeds and germinating seeds of transgenic tobacco. Plant Molecular Biology 46: 383–394. , .