Defense-related transcription factors WRKY70 and WRKY54 modulate osmotic stress tolerance by regulating stomatal aperture in Arabidopsis
Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Drought-induced forest mortality’
Volume 200, Issue 2, pages 457–472, October 2013
How to Cite
Li, J., Besseau, S., Törönen, P., Sipari, N., Kollist, H., Holm, L. and Palva, E. T. (2013), Defense-related transcription factors WRKY70 and WRKY54 modulate osmotic stress tolerance by regulating stomatal aperture in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 200: 457–472. doi: 10.1111/nph.12378
- Issue online: 18 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 17 MAY 2013
- Academy of Finland Center of Excellence
- European Research Area in Plant Genomics. Grant Number: ERAPGFP/06.023a
- 2003. Arabidopsis AtMYC2 (bHLH) and AtMYB2 (MYB) function as transcriptional activators in abscisic acid signaling. Plant Cell 15: 63–78. , , , , , .
- 2009. Hormone interactions in stomatal function. Plant Molecular Biology 69: 451–462. , .
- 2011. News on ABA transport, protein degradation, and ABFs/WRKYs in ABA signaling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 14: 547–553. , , , , .
- 1973. Rapid determination of free proline for water stress studies. Plant and Soil 39: 205–207. , , .
- 2012. WRKY54 and WRKY70 co-operate as negative regulators of leaf senescence in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 63: 2667–2679. , , .
- 2010. Roles of arabidopsis WRKY18, WRKY40 and WRKY60 transcription factors in plant responses to abscisic acid and abiotic stress. BMC Plant Biology 10: 281. , , , , , .
- 2012. The role of WRKY transcription factors in plant abiotic stresses. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1819: 120–128. , , , , , .
- 2002. Expression profile matrix of Arabidopsis transcription factor genes suggests their putative functions in response to environmental stresses. Plant Cell 14: 559–574. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Proline biosynthesis and osmoregulation in plants. Plant Journal 4: 215–223. , .
- 2003. Expression profiles of the Arabidopsis WRKY gene superfamily during plant defense response. Plant Molecular Biology 51: 21–37. , , .
- 2010. AgriGo: a GO analysis toolkit for the agricultural community. Nucleic Acids Research 38: W64–W70. , , , , .
- 2012. NPR3 and NPR4 are receptors for the immune signal salicylic acid in plants. Nature 486: 228–232. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. A dehydration-induced NAC protein, RD26, is involved in a novel ABA-dependent stress-signaling pathway. Plant Journal 39: 863–876. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Pivotal role of the AREB/ABF-SnRK2 pathway in ABRE-mediated transcription in response to osmotic stress in plants. Physiologia Plantarum 147: 15–27. , , .
- 2004. Bioconductor: open software development for computational biology and bioinformatics. Genome Biology 5: R80. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Salicylic acid induces stomatal closure by modulating endogenous hormone levels in cucumber cotyledons. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology 58: 906–913. , , , , .
- 2001. Guard cell signaling. Cell 107: 711–714. .
- 2001. Regulation of drought tolerance by gene manipulation of 9-cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase, a key enzyme in abscisic acid biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 27: 325–333. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Arabidopsis WRKY2 transcription factor mediates seed germination and postgermination arrest of development by abscisic acid. BMC Plant Biology 9: 96. , .
- 2002. TRANSPARENT TESTA GLABRA2, a trichome and seed coat development gene of Arabidopsis, encodes a WRKY transcription factor. Plant Cell 14: 1359–1375. , , .
- 2007. Adjusting batch effects in microarray expression data using empirical Bayes methods. Biostatistics 8: 118–127. , , .
- 2011. A brand new START: abscisic acid perception and transduction in the guard cell. Science Signaling 4: re4. doi: 10.1126/scisignal.2002164. , , .
- 2011. Involvement of extracellular oxidative burst in salicylic acid-induced stomatal closure in Arabidopsis. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 434–443. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Nuclear localization of NPR1 is required for activation of PR gene expression. Plant Cell 12: 2339–2350. , , .
- 2007. A novel device detects a rapid ozone-induced transient stomatal closure in intact Arabidopsis and its absence in abi2 mutant. Physiologia Plantarum 129: 796–803. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Cloning and characterization of a cold- and ABA-inducible Arabidopsis gene. Plant Molecular Biology 15: 137–144. , .
- 1992. The expression of a rab-related gene, rab18, is induced by abscisic acid during the cold acclimation process of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Plant Molecular Biology 20: 951–962. , .
- 1994. Arabidopsis ABA response gene ABI1: features of a calcium-modulated protein phosphatase. Science 264: 1448–1452. , , , , , .
- 2006. WRKY70 modulates the selection of signaling pathways in plant defense. Plant Journal 46: 477–491. , , , .
- 2004. The WRKY70 transcription factor: a node of convergence for jasmonate-mediated and salicylate-mediated signals in plant defense. Plant Cell 16: 319–331. , , .
- 2012. Functional roles of the protein phosphatase 2C, AtAIP1, in abscisic acid signaling and sugar tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Science 187: 83–88. , , , , .
- 2011. Ectopic expression of a grapevine transcription factor VvWRKY11 contributes to osmotic stress tolerance in Arabidopsis. Molecular Biology Reports 38: 417–427. , , , , , .
- 2009. Regulators of PP2C phosphatase activity function as abscisic acid sensors. Science 324: 1064–1068. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Cold, salinity and drought stresses: an overview. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 444: 139–158. , .
- 2008. Role of stomata in plant innate immunity and foliar bacterial diseases. Annual Review of Phytopathology 46: 101–122. , , .
- 1994. A protein phosphatase 2C involved in ABA signal transduction in Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 264: 1452–1455. , , .
- 2008. Nuclear localization of the mutant protein phosphatase abi1 is required for insensitivity towards ABA responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 54: 806–819. , , , , .
- 2009. Transcriptional regulatory networks in response to abiotic stresses in Arabidopsis and grasses. Plant Physiology 149: 88–95. , , .
- 1998. A gene encoding proline dehydrogenase is not only induced by proline and hypoosmolarity, but is also developmentally regulated in the reproductive organs of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 118: 1233–1241. , , , , .
- 1993. Differential expression of two related, low-temperature-induced genes in Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Plant Molecular Biology 21: 641–653. , , .
- 2009. Abscisic acid inhibits type 2C protein phosphatases via the PYR/PYL family of START proteins. Science 324: 1068–1071. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Isolation and expression patterns of rice WRKY82 transcription factor gene responsive to both biotic and abiotic stresses. Agricultural Sciences in China 10: 893–901. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Over-expression of the stress-induced OsWRKY45 enhances disease resistance and drought tolerance in Arabidopsis. Environmental and Experimental Botany 65: 35–47. , .
- 2003. Monitoring expression profiles of rice genes under cold, drought, and high-salinity stresses and abscisic acid application using cDNA microarray and RNA gel-blot analyses. Plant Physiology 133: 1755–1767. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. ABA perception and signalling. Trends in Plant Science 15: 395–401. , , , .
- 2009. Drought tolerance in Arabidopsis is controlled by the OCP3 disease resistance regulator. Plant Journal 58: 578–591. , , , , , .
- 2010. ABO3, a WRKY transcription factor, mediates plant responses to abscisic acid and drought tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 63: 417–429. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A new member of the Arabidopsis WRKY transcription factor family, AtWRKY6, is associated with both senescence- and defence-related processes. Plant Journal 28: 123–133. , .
- 2012. WRKY transcription factors: key components in abscisic acid signalling. Plant Biotechnology Journal 10: 2–11. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Gain-of-function and loss-of-function phenotypes of the protein phosphatase 2C HAB1 reveal its role as a negative regulator of abscisic acid signalling. Plant Journal 37: 354–369. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Structural insights into PYR/PYL/RCAR ABA receptors and PP2Cs. Plant Science 182: 3–11. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Intensity-based hierarchical Bayes method improves testing for differentially expressed genes in microarray experiments. BMC Bioinformatics 7: 538. , , , , , .
- 2002. Monitoring the expression profiles of 7000 Arabidopsis genes under drought, cold and high-salinity stresses using a full-length cDNA microarray. Plant Journal 31: 279–292. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The Mg-chelatase H subunit of Arabidopsis antagonizes a group of WRKY transcription repressors to relieve ABA-responsive genes of inhibition. Plant Cell 22: 1909–1935. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Gene networks involved in drought stress response and tolerance. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 221–227. , .
- 2002. Transcription factors in plant defense and stress responses. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 430–436. , , .
- 2005. Limma: linear models for microarray data. In: Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Solutions using R and Bioconductor. New York, USA: Springer, 397–420. .
- 2007. The WRKY70 transcription factor of Arabidopsis influences both the plant senescence and defense signaling pathways. Planta 226: 125–137. , , .
- 2004. WRKY transcription factors: from DNA binding towards biological function. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 491–498. , .
- 2009. Type 2C protein phosphatases directly regulate abscisic acid-activated protein kinases in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 17588–17593. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Arabidopsis basic leucine zipper transcription factors involved in an abscisic acid-dependent signal transduction pathway under drought and high-salinity conditions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 97: 11632–11637. , , , , , .
- 2006. Methods and concepts in quantifying resistance to drought, salt and freezing, abiotic stresses that affect plant water status. Plant Journal 45: 523–539. , , , , .
- 2006. A genomic approach to identify regulatory nodes in the transcriptional network of systemic acquired resistance in plants. Plos Pathogens 2: 1042–1050. , , .
- 2001. Isochorismate synthase is required to synthesize salicylic acid for plant defence. Nature 414: 562–565. , , , .
- 2012. The Arabidopsis NPR1 protein is a receptor for the plant defense hormone salicylic acid. Cell Reports 1: 639–647. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Annotations and functional analyses of the rice WRKY gene superfamily reveal positive and negative regulators of abscisic acid signaling in aleurone cells. Plant Physiology 137: 176–189. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Interaction of osmotic stress, temperature, and abscisic acid in the regulation of gene expression in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 119: 205–212. , , .
- 2002. Cell signaling during cold, drought, and salt stress. Plant Cell 14: S165–S183. , , .
- 2005. Solution structure of an Arabidopsis WRKY DNA binding domain. Plant Cell 17: 944–956. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Antagonistic interaction between systemic acquired resistance and the abscisic acid-mediated abiotic stress response in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 20: 1678–1692. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Stress-responsive and developmental regulation of [Delta] 1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthetase 1 (P5CS1) gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 261: 766–772. , , , , .
- 2004. GENEVESTIGATOR. Arabidopsis microarray database and analysis toolbox. Plant Physiology 136: 2621–2632. , , , .