Article first published online: 8 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 200, Issue 3, pages 922–932, November 2013
How to Cite
Sew, Y. S., Ströher, E., Holzmann, C., Huang, S., Taylor, N. L., Jordana, X. and Millar, A. H. (2013), Multiplex micro-respiratory measurements of Arabidopsis tissues. New Phytologist, 200: 922–932. doi: 10.1111/nph.12394
- Issue published online: 11 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 8 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 MAR 2013
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Centre of Excellence in Plant Energy Biology. Grant Number: CE0561495
- Malaysian Agricultural Research and Development Institute
- ARC Australian Postdoctoral Fellow. Grant Number: DP110104865
- ARC Future Fellow. Grant Number: FT110100242
- Fondecyt. Grant Number: 1100601
- Millennium Nucleus in Plant Functional Genomics. Grant Number: Plo-062-f
- Conicyt Fellowship. Grant Number: 21100640
- 1981. Respiratory changes with stratification of pear seeds. Physiologia Plantarum 52: 156–160. , , , .
- 1984. The role of maintenance respiration in plant growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 7: 561–569. .
- 1989. Respiration and crop productivity. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag. .
- 2006a. On the developmental dependence of leaf respiration: responses to short- and long-term changes in growth temperature. American Journal of Botany 93: 1633–1639. , , .
- 2006b. Heterogeneity of plant mitochondrial responses underpinning respiratory acclimation to the cold in Arabidopsis thaliana leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 940–949. , , , , .
- 2000. Oxygen distribution in wetland plant roots and permeability barriers to gas-exchange with the rhizosphere: a microelectrode and modelling study with Phragmites australis. Annals of Botany 86: 687–703. , , , , .
- 2012. Optical oxygen micro and nanosensors for plant applications. Sensors 12: 7015–7032. , , , .
- 1993. Light induction of alternative pathway capacity in leaf slices of Belgium endive. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 231–235. , , .
- 1983a. The regulation of respiration in the dark in wheat leaf slices. Plant Science Letters 32: 313–320. , , .
- 1983b. Effect of photosynthesis and carbohydrate status on respiratory rates and the involvement of the alternative pathway in leaf respiration. Plant Physiology 72: 598–603. , , .
- 2011. In vivo O2 measurement inside single photosynthetic cells. Biotechnology Letters 33: 1675–1681. , , , , .
- 2010. A high-throughput respirometric assay for mitochondrial biogenesis and toxicity. Analytical Biochemistry 404: 75–81. , , .
- 1981. Growth, photosynthesis and respiration in Plantago coronopus as affected by salinity. Physiologia Plantarum 51: 265–268. , .
- 2009. The oxygen status of developing seed. New Phytologist 182: 17–30. , .
- 1984. Salinity, growth and root respiration in the grey mangrove, Avicennia marina. Physiologia Plantarum 60: 113–118. , , , .
- 2010. Cell behavior on extracellular matrix mimic materials based on mussel adhesive protein fused with functional peptides. Biomaterials 31: 8980–8988. , , , , , .
- 1995. The influence of salinity on the utilization of root anaplerotic carbon and nitrogen-metabolism in tomato seedlings. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 1569–1577. , , , .
- 1985. Regulation of respiration in the leaves and roots of two Lolium perenne populations with contrasting mature leaf respiration rates and crop yields. Plant Physiology 78: 678–683. , , , .
- 1990. Respiration and mitochondrial biogenesis in germinating embryos of maize. Plant Physiology 93: 295–304. , .
- 1999. Effects of sodium chloride salinity on root growth and respiration in oak seedlings. Annals of Forestry Science 56: 41–47. , , .
- 2008. Advances in measuring cellular bioenergetics using extracellular flux. Drug Discovery Today 13: 268–274. , , .
- 1994. Plant growth and development: a molecular approach. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. .
- 2009. Quantitative microplate-based respirometry with correction for oxygen diffusion. Analytical Chemistry 81: 6868–6878. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Growth dynamics of mechanically impeded lupin roots: does altered morphology induce hypoxia? Annals of Botany 96: 913–924. , .
- 1968. Non-dispersive infrared gas analysis in science, medicine and industry. London, UK: Adam Hilger Ltd. , .
- 2013. Succinate dehydrogenase assembly factor 2 is needed for assembly and activity of mitochondrial complex II and for normal root elongation in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 73: 429–441. , , , , .
- 2003. Measurements of photosynthesis and respiration in plants. Physiologia Plantarum 117: 314–325. .
- 1994. Whole-plant gas-exchange responses of Spartina alterniflora (Poaceae) to a range of constant and transient salinities. American Journal of Botany 81: 659–665. , .
- 2011. The role of mitochondrial respiration in salinity tolerance. Trends in Plant Science 16: 614–623. , , .
- 2004. Metabolic profiling of the sink-to-source transition in developing leaves of quaking aspen. Plant Physiology 136: 3364–3375. , , , , .
- 1985. Respiration in intact plants and tissues: its regulation and dependence on environmental factors, metabolism and invaded organisms. In: Douce R, Day DA, eds. Higher plant cell respiration. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 418–474. .
- 2001. Mitochondrial biogenesis during germination in maize embryos. Plant Physiology 125: 662–672. , , , , .
- 2007. The pentatricopeptide repeat gene OTP43 is required for trans-splicing of the mitochondrial nad1 Intron 1 in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 19: 3256–3265. , , , , , , .
- 2001. A postgermination developmental arrest checkpoint is mediated by abscisic acid and requires the ABI5 transcription factor in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 4782–4787. , , .
- 2008. Futile Na+ cycling at the root plasma membrane in rice (Oryza sativa L.): kinetics, energetics, and relationship to salinity tolerance. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 4109–4117. , , , .
- 2009. Remodeled respiration in ndufs4 with low phosphorylation efficiency suppresses Arabidopsis germination and growth and alters control of metabolism at night. Plant Physiology 151: 603–619. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Spiralizations and tropisms in Arabidopsis roots. Trends in Plant Science 6: 561–565. , .
- 2011. Organization and regulation of mitochondrial respiration in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 62: 79–104. , , , .
- 1977. Field measurements of dark respiration rates of roots and aerial parts in Italian ryegrass and barley. Journal of Applied Ecology 14: 243–252. .
- 2011. In-depth temporal transcriptome profiling reveals a crucial developmental switch with roles for RNA processing and organelle metabolism that are essential for germination in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 157: 1342–1362. , , , , .
- 1997. Leaf vascular pattern formation. Plant Cell 9: 1121–1135. , .
- 1999. Auxiliary photosynthetic functions of Arabidopsis thaliana – studies in vitro and in vivo. Bioscience Reports 19: 499–509. , , .
- 2007. Waving and skewing: how gravity and the surface of growth media affect root development in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 176: 37–43. , .
- 2009. Macroporous polysaccharide gels. In: Mattiasson B, Kumar A, Galaev I, eds. Macroporous polymers: production properties and biotechnological/biomedical applications. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 131–154. , , .
- 1999. Oxygen-depleted zones inside reproductive structures of Brassicaceae: implications for oxygen control of seed development. Canadian Journal of Botany 77: 1439–1446. , , , , .
- 2007. ABA induction of miR159 controls transcript levels of two MYB factors during Arabidopsis seed germination. Plant Journal 49: 592–606. , .
- 2012. Switching from aerobic glycolysis to oxidative phosphorylation modulates the sensitivity of mantle cell lymphoma cells to TRAIL. Oncogene 31: 4996–5006. , , , .
- 2011. High throughput microplate respiratory measurements using minimal quantities of isolated mitochondria. PLoS ONE 6: e21746. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Dynamic oxygen mapping in the root zone by fluorescence dye imaging combined with neutron radiography. Journal of Soil Sediments 12: 63–74. , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Effect of sodium chloride stress and nitrogen-source on respiration, growth and photosynthesis in lucerne (Medicago sativa L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 34: 1117–1125. , .
- 2007. Understanding marine mussel adhesion. Marine Biotechnology 9: 661–681. , .
- 2012. Loss of Lon1 in Arabidopsis changes the mitochondrial proteome leading to altered metabolite profiles and growth retardation without an accumulation of oxidative damage. Plant Physiology 160: 1187–1203. , , , .
- 1996. Acquisition of identity in the developing leaf. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 12: 257–304. , , .
- 2010. Mitochondrial malate dehydrogenase lowers leaf respiration and alters photorespiration and plant growth in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 154: 1143–1157. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. An imaging method for oxygen distribution, respiration and photosynthesis at a microscopic level of resolution. New Phytologist 196: 926–936. , , , , .
- 2007. Mitochondrial type-I prohibitins of Arabidopsis thaliana are required for supporting proficient meristem development. Plant Journal 52: 850–864. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. The use of the oxygen electrode and fluorescence probes in simple measurements of photosynthesis. Chichester, UK: Oxygraphics Ltd Brighton Packard Publishing. .
- 2011. First off the mark: early seed germination. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 3289–3309. , , .
- 2008. Metabolic network fluxes in heterotrophic Arabidopsis cells: stability of the flux distribution under different oxygenation conditions. Plant Physiology 148: 704–718. , , , , , .
- 2011. Arabidopsis kinesin KP1 specifically interacts with VDAC3, a mitochondrial protein, and regulates respiration during seed germination at low temperature. Plant Cell 23: 1093–1106. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Measuring energy metabolism in cultured cells, including human pluripotent stem cells and differentiated cells. Nature Protocols 7: 1068–1085. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The dynamin-related GTPase Opa1 is required for glucose-stimulated ATP production in pancreatic beta cells. Molecular Biology of the Cell 22: 2235–2245. , , , , , , , , , et al.