Competition between plant and bacterial cells at the microscale regulates the dynamics of nitrogen acquisition in wheat (Triticum aestivum)
Version of Record online: 12 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 200, Issue 3, pages 796–807, November 2013
How to Cite
Jones, D. L., Clode, P. L., Kilburn, M. R., Stockdale, E. A. and Murphy, D. V. (2013), Competition between plant and bacterial cells at the microscale regulates the dynamics of nitrogen acquisition in wheat (Triticum aestivum). New Phytologist, 200: 796–807. doi: 10.1111/nph.12405
- Issue online: 11 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 12 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 APR 2013
- Australian Research Council. Grant Number: FT110100246
- NIH/NIBIB. Grant Number: 5P41 EB001974-10
- 2012. Microbial activity differentially regulates the vertical mobility of nitrogen compounds in soil. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 53: 120–123. , , , , .
- 1980. Transport and utilization of amino acids by bacteria. In: Payne JW, ed. Microorganisms and nitrogen sources. New York, NY, USA: Wiley, 9–33. .
- 1968. Exudation of amino-acids by intact and damaged roots of wheat and peas. Plant and Soil 18: 193–207. , .
- 2008. Turnover of low molecular weight dissolved organic C (DOC) and microbial C exhibit different temperature sensitivities in Arctic tundra soils. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 40: 1557–1566. , , , , .
- 1989. Diffusion method to prepare soil extracts for automated 15N analysis. Soil Science Society of America Journal 53: 1707–1711. , , , .
- 2009. In situ mapping of nutrient uptake in the rhizosphere using nanoscale secondary ion mass spectrometry. Plant Physiology 151: 1751–1757. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Tracer kinetics in biomedical research: from data to model. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , .
- 2012. Organic nitrogen mineralisation in two contrasting agro-ecosystems is unchanged by biochar addition. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 48: 47–50. , , .
- 2003. Cooperation in the rhizosphere and the “free rider” problem. Ecology 84: 838–845. , , , , , .
- 2009. Nitrate and glutamate as environmental cues for behavioural responses in plant roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 682–693. , .
- 1996. Effects of burning on heathland soil chemical properties: an experimental study on the effect of heating and ash deposits. Journal of Applied Ecology 33: 803–811. , .
- 2008. Capacities and constraints of amino acid utilization in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 179: 1058–1069. , , , .
- 1996. Water and solute transport along developing maize roots. Planta 198: 348–355. , , .
- 2002. Composition of hydrolysable amino acids in soil organic matter and soil microbial biomass. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 34: 315–325. , .
- 2008. A diurnal component to the variation in sieve tube amino acid content in wheat. Plant Physiology 147: 912–921. , , , , , .
- 2002. The regulation of nitrate and ammonium transport systems in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 855–864. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Uptake and transport of organic and inorganic nitrogen by arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Plant and Soil 226: 275–285. , , .
- 2007. A novel method for the study of the biophysical interface in soils using nano-scale secondary ion mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 21: 29–34. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Bigger may be better in soil N cycling: does rapid acquisition of small L-peptides by soil microbes dominate fluxes of protein-derived N in soil? Soil Biology & Biochemistry 48: 106–112. , , .
- 2011. Acquisition and assimilation of nitrogen as peptide-bound and D-enantiomers of amino acids by wheat. PLoS ONE 6: e19220. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. The below-ground perspective of forest plants: soil provides mainly organic nitrogen for plants and mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 195: 329–334. , .
- 1994. Amino-acid influx at the soil–root interface of Zea mays L. and its implications in the rhizosphere. Plant and Soil 163: 1–12. , .
- 2005a. Dissolved organic nitrogen uptake by plants – an important N uptake pathway? Soil Biology & Biochemistry 37: 413–423. , , , , .
- 1999. Biodegradation kinetics and sorption reactions of three differently charged amino acids in soil and their effects on plant organic nitrogen availability. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 31: 1331–1342. , .
- 2009. Carbon flow in the rhizosphere: carbon trading at the soil–root interface. Plant and Soil 321: 5–33. , , .
- 2002. Simple method to enable the high resolution determination of total free amino acids in soil solutions and soil extracts. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 34: 1893–1902. , , .
- 2005b. Plant capture of free amino acids is maximized under high soil amino acid concentrations. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 37: 179–181. , , , .
- 1996. Quantification of the microbial biomass by determining ninhydrin-reactive N. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 28: 301–306. .
- 1990. Ninhydrin-reactive nitrogen measurements of microbial biomass in 0.5 M K2SO4 soil extracts. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 22: 1023–1027. , .
- 2006. Glucose uptake by maize roots and its transformation in the rhizosphere. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 38: 851–860. , .
- 1992. Crop ecology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2008. Soil heterogeneity in lumped mineralization-immobilization models. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 40: 1137–1148. , , .
- 2011. Rhizosphere interactions between microorganisms and plants govern iron and phosphorus acquisition along the root axis – model and research methods. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 43: 883–894. , , .
- 1984. Determination of protein loss during aqueous and phase partition fixation using formalin and glutaraldehyde. Journal of Histochemistry & Cytochemistry 32: 1107–1112. , , .
- 1962. Nitrogen metabolism in plants. Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press. .
- 2001. The use of microelectrodes to investigate compartmentation and the transport of metabolized inorganic ions in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 541–549. , , , .
- 2004. Agriculture and the nitrogen cycle: assessing the impacts of fertilizer use on food production and the environment. Washington, DC, USA: Island Press. , , .
- 1996. Nitrogen – inorganic forms. In: Sparks DL, ed. Methods of soil analysis. Madison, WI, USA: Soil Science Society of America, American Society of Agronomy Inc, 1123–1184. .
- 2003. Gross nitrogen fluxes in soil: theory measurement and application of 15N pool dilution techniques. Advances in Agronomy 79: 69–118. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Uptake of glycine by field grown wheat. New Phytologist 150: 59–63. , , .
- 2009. Uptake of organic nitrogen by plants. New Phytologist 182: 31–48. , , .
- 2001. Competition for amino acids between wheat roots and rhizosphere microorganisms and the role of amino acids in plant N acquisition. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 33: 651–657. , .
- 2012. A single-cell view of ammonium assimilation in coral–dinoflagellate symbiosis. ISME Journal 6: 1314–1324. , , , , , , .
- 2001. A GC-MS method for determination of amino acid uptake by plants. Physiologia Plantarum 113: 352–358. , .
- 2004. Measure of carbon and nitrogen stable isotope ratios in cultured cells. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry 15: 478–485. , .
- 2004. Microbial products trigger amino acid exudation from plant roots. Plant Physiology 136: 2887–2894. , , , , .
- 2010. Plant uptake of dual-labeled organic N biased by inorganic C uptake: results of a triple labeling study. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 42: 524–527. , , , .
- 2009. Glycine, nitrate, and ammonium uptake by classic and modern wheat varieties in a short-term microcosm study. Biology and Fertility of Soils 45: 723–732. , , , .
- 2009. Carbon-to-nitrogen ratio is a poor predictor of low molecular weight organic nitrogen mineralization in soil. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 41: 1750–1752. , , , , .
- 2010. Loss of low molecular weight dissolved organic carbon (DOC) and nitrogen (DON) in H2O and 0.5 M K2SO4 soil extracts. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 42: 2331–2335. , .
- 2013. Nitrogen and water-use efficiency of Australian wheat varieties released between 1958 and 2007. European Journal of Agronomy 46: 34–41. , .
- 2009. Advantages of compound-specific stable isotope measurements over bulk measurements in studies on plant uptake of intact amino acids. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23: 3333–3342. , , .
- 2010. Transport barriers made of cutin, suberin and associated waxes. Trends in Plant Science 15: 546–553. .
- 2003. Aluminum rapidly depolymerizes cortical microtubules and depolarizes the plasma membrane: evidence that these responses are mediated by a glutamate receptor. Plant and Cell Physiology 44: 667–675. , , , .
- 2011. Arabidopsis and Lobelia anceps access small peptides as a nitrogen source for growth. Functional Plant Biology 38: 788–796. , , , , , .
- 2001. Uptake of glycine by non-mycorrhizal Lolium perenne. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1315–1322. .
- 2012. Post-uptake metabolism affects quantification of amino acid uptake. New Phytologist 193: 522–531. .
- 2007. The organization of high-affinity ammonium uptake in Arabidopsis roots depends on the spatial arrangement and biochemical properties of AMT1-type transporters. Plant Cell 19: 2636–2652. , , , , , , , .