Canopy light cues affect emission of constitutive and methyl jasmonate-induced volatile organic compounds in Arabidopsis thaliana
Article first published online: 12 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 200, Issue 3, pages 861–874, November 2013
How to Cite
Kegge, W., Weldegergis, B. T., Soler, R., Eijk, M. V.-V., Dicke, M., Voesenek, L. A. C. J. and Pierik, R. (2013), Canopy light cues affect emission of constitutive and methyl jasmonate-induced volatile organic compounds in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist, 200: 861–874. doi: 10.1111/nph.12407
- Issue published online: 11 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 12 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 FEB 2013
- The Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO). Grant Number: 818.01.003
- 1997. Quantification, correlations and manipulations of wound-induced changes in jasmonic acid and nicotine in Nicotiana sylvestris. Planta 201: 397–404. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Keeping up with the neighbours: phytochrome sensing and other signalling mechanisms. Trends in Plant Science 4: 201. .
- 2009. Illuminated behaviour: phytochrome as a key regulator of light foraging and plant anti-herbivore defence. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 713–725. .
- 2012. Canopy light and plant health. Plant Physiology 160: 145–155. , , , .
- 1990. Far-red radiation reflected from adjacent leaves: an early signal of competition in plant canopies. Science 247: 329–332. , , .
- 2007. Signaling pathways controlling induced resistance to insect herbivores in Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 20: 1406–1420. , .
- 1995. Jasmonic acid and herbivory differentially induce carnivore-attracting plant volatiles in lima bean plants. Angewandte Chemie (International ed. in English) 34: 1600–1602. , , , , .
- 1997. Attraction of Colorado potato beetle to herbivore damaged plants during herbivory and after its termination. Journal of Chemical Ecology 23: 1003–1023. , , , , .
- 2008. cis-Jasmone induces Arabidopsis genes that affect the chemical ecology of multitrophic interactions with aphids and their parasitoids. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 4553–4558. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Low red/far-red ratios reduce Arabidopsis resistance to Botrytis cinerea and jasmonate responses via a COI1-JAZ10-dependent, salicylic acid-independent mechanism. Plant Physiology 158: 2042–2052. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. An Arabidopsis thaliana gene for methylsalicylate biosynthesis, identified by a biochemical genomics approach, has a role in defense. Plant Journal 36: 577–588. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Stretching the limits of plasticity: can a plant defend against both competitors and herbivores? Ecology 85: 28–37. .
- 2004. Identification of volatiles that are used in discrimination between plants infested with prey or nonprey herbivores by a predatory mite. Journal of Chemical Ecology 30: 2215–2230. , , .
- 2012. Plant neighbor detection through touching leaf tips precedes phytochrome signals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: 14705–14710. , , , , , , .
- 2013. Perception of low Red:Far-red ratio compromises both salicylic acid- and jasmonic acid-dependent pathogen defences in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 75: 90–103. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Chemical ecology of host–plant selection by herbivorous arthropods: a multitrophic perspective. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology 28: 601–617. .
- 2010. The evolutionary context for herbivore-induced plant volatiles: beyond the “cry for help”. Trends in Plant Science 15: 167–175. , .
- 1999. Jasmonic acid and herbivory differentially induce carnivore-attracting plant volatiles in Lima bean plants. Journal of Chemical Ecology 25: 1907–1922. , , , .
- 2000. Plant-derived semiochemicals as contact host location stimuli for a parasitoid of leafminers. Journal of Chemical Ecology 26: 2259–2273. , , .
- 2006. Multi- and megavariate analysis. Part 1: basic principles and applications. Umea, Sweden: MKS Umetrics AB. , , , , .
- 2003. Functional identification of AtTPS03 as (E)-β-ocimene synthase: a monoterpene synthase catalyzing jasmonate- and wound-induced volatile formation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta 216: 745–751. , , , , .
- 1990. Interplant communication: airborne methyl jasmonate induces synthesis of protein inhibitors in plant leaves. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 87: 7713–7716. , .
- 1999. The mechanism of rhythmic ethylene production in sorghum. The role of phytochrome B and simulated shading. Plant Physiology 119: 1083–1089. , , , .
- 2006. A role for ethylene in the phytochrome-mediated control of vegetative development. Plant Journal 46: 911–921. , , , , .
- 2008. Shade avoidance. The New Phytologist 179: 930–944. .
- 2002. The effects of abiotic factors on induced volatile emissions in corn plants. Plant Physiology 129: 1296–1307. , .
- 2000. Ecophysiological comparison of direct and indirect defenses in Nicotiana attenuata. Oecologia 124: 408–417. , , , , .
- 2008. Shared signals – “alarm calls” from plants increase apparancy to herbivores and their enemies in nature. Ecology Letters 11: 24–34. , , , .
- 2008. Identification and regulation of TPS04/GES, an Arabidopsis geranyllinalool synthase catalyzing the first step in the formation of the insect-induced volatile C16-homoterpene TMTT. The Plant Cell 20: 1152–1168. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. The dilemma of plants: to grow or defend. The Quarterly Review of Biology 67: 283–335. , .
- 2001. Exogenous ACC enhances volatiles production mediated by jasmonic acid in Lima bean leaves. FEBS Letters 509: 332–336. , , , , , .
- 2006. Remote sensing of future competitors: impacts on plant defenses. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 7170–7174. , , , , .
- 2001. Attraction of a leaf beetle (Oreina cacaliae) to damaged host plants. Journal of Chemical Ecology 27: 647–661. , , .
- 2003. Herbivore damage to sagebrush induces resistance in wild tobacco: evidence for eavesdropping between plants. Oikos 100: 325–332. , , , , .
- 2010. Biogenic volatile organic compounds and plant competition. Trends in Plant Science 15: 126–132. , .
- 2011. Physiological regulation and functional significance of shade avoidance responses to neighbors. Plant Signaling Behavior 5: 655–662. , , .
- 2007. Uncoupling light quality from light irradiance effects in Helianthus annuus shoots: putative roles for plant hormones in leave and internode growth. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2145–2157. , , , .
- 2009. Ethylene modulates the role of NPR1 in cross-talk between salicylate and jasmonate signaling. Plant Physiology 149: 1797–1809. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Arabidopsis Vegatative Storage Protein is an anti-insect acid phosphatase. Plant Physiology 139: 1545–1556. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) method. Methods (San Diego, Calif.) 25: 402–408. ,
- 2000. Effects of light on the tritrophic interaction between kidney bean plants, two-spotted spider mites and predatory mites, Amblyseius womersleyi (Acari: Phytoseiidae). Experimental & Applied Acarology 24: 415–425. , , , .
- 2010. Regulatory components of the shade avoidance syndrome. Advances in Botanical Research 53: 65–116. , , , , , .
- 1996. Airborne methyl jasmonate stimulates the biosynthesis of furanocoumarins in the leaves of celery plants (Apium graveolens). Experientia 52: 739–743. , .
- 2005. Ethylene-induced differential growth of petioles in Arabidopsis. Analyzing natural variation, response kinetics and regulation. Plant Physiology 137: 998–1008. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Differential petiole growth in Arabidopsis thaliana: photocontrol and hormonal regulation. The New Phytologist 184: 141–152. , , , , , .
- 2009. Ecological modulation of plant defense via phytochrome control of jasmonate sensitivity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 4935–4940. , , , .
- 2000. The effect of a green leaf volatile on host plant finding by larvae of a herbivorous insect. Die Naturwissenschaften 87: 216–219. , .
- 2006. Using “mute” plants to translate volatile signals. Plant Journal 45: 275–291. , , .
- 2009. Auxin and ethylene regulate elongation to neighbour proximity signals independent of gibberellin and DELLA proteins in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 149: 1701–1712. , , , , .
- 2003. Ethylene is required in tobacco to successfully compete with proximate neighbours. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1229–1234. , , , .
- 2004. Canopy studies on ethylene-insensitive tobacco identify ethylene as a novel element in blue light and plant–plant signalling. Plant Journal 38: 310–319. , , , , .
- 2009. Networking by small-molecule hormones in plant immunity. Nature Chemical Biology 5: 308–316. , , , .
- 2012. Hormonal modulation of plant immunity. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 28: 489–521. , , , , .
- 2008. The AP2/ERF domain transcription factor ORA59 integrates jasmonic acid and ethylene signals in plant defence. Plant Physiology 147: 1347–1357. , , , , , .
- 2004. A conserved transcript pattern in response to a specialist and a generalist herbivore. The Plant Cell 16: 3132–3147. , , , , , .
- 2006. Reduced levels of volatile emissions in jasmonate-deficient spr2 tomato mutants favour oviposition by insect herbivores. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 546–557. , , .
- 2009. Multidisciplinary approach to unravelling the relative contribution of different oxylipins in indirect defense of Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Chemical Ecology 35: 1021–1031. , , .
- 2012. Neonates know better than their mothers when selecting a host plant. Oikos 121: 1923–1934. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Double-check: validation of diagnostic statistics of PLS-DA models in metabolomics studies. Metabolomics 8: 3–16. , , , .
- 1994. Volatile herbivore-induced terpenoids in plant-mite interactions: variation caused by biotic and abiotic factors. Journal of Chemical Ecology 20: 1329–1354. , , .
- 2002. Jasmonate-deficient plants have reduced direct and indirect defences against herbivores. Ecology Letters 5: 764–774. , , , .
- 2007. Primer3Plus, an enhanced web interface to Primer3. Nucleic Acids Research 35: W71–W74. , , , , , .
- 2008. Differential effectiveness of microbially induced resistance against herbivorous insects in Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 21: 919–930. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Induced parasitoid attraction by Arabidopsis thaliana: involvement of the octadecanoid and the salicylic acid pathway. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1793–1799. , .
- 2001. Herbivore-induced volatile production by Arabidopsis thaliana leads to attraction of the parasitoid Cotesia rubecula: chemical, behavioral, and gene-expression analysis. Journal of Chemical Ecology 27: 1911–1928. , , .
- 2011. Complex odor from plants under attack: herbivore's enemies react to the whole, not its parts. PLoS ONE 6: e21742. , , .
- 2011. Rewiring of the jasmonate signaling pathway in Arabidopsis during insect herbivory. Frontiers in Plant Science 2: 1–12. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Ecology of info chemical use by natural enemies in a tritrophic context. Annual Review of Entomology 37: 141–172. , .
- 2008. Methyl jasmonate-elicited herbivore resistance: does MeJA function as a signal without being hydrolyzed to JA? Planta 227: 1161–1168. , , .