Quantitative plant resistance in cultivar mixtures: wheat yellow rust as a modeling case study
Article first published online: 22 JUL 2013
© 2013 INRA. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 200, Issue 3, pages 888–897, November 2013
How to Cite
Sapoukhina, N., Paillard, S., Dedryver, F. and de Vallavieille-Pope, C. (2013), Quantitative plant resistance in cultivar mixtures: wheat yellow rust as a modeling case study. New Phytologist, 200: 888–897. doi: 10.1111/nph.12413
- Issue published online: 11 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 22 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 DEC 2012
- 2006. Differential selection on Rhynchosporium secalis during the parasitic and saprophytic phases in the barley scald disease cycle. Phytopathology 96: 1214–1222. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The incidence of barley scald in cultivar mixtures. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 51: 355–360. , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of two-component wheat cultivar mixtures on stripe disease severity. Phytopathology 86: 347–353. , .
- 2003. Development of natural late blight epidemics in pure and mixed plots of potato cultivars with different levels of partial resistance. Plant Pathology 5: 586–594. , , .
- 1993. Development of stripe and leaf rusts in wheat cultivar mixtures. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 171: 49–54. , .
- 1993. Optimal cultivar mixtures in focal plant disease. Netherlands Journal of Plant Pathology 99: 41–50. .
- 2003. Measures of durability of resistance. Phytopathology 93: 616–625. , .
- 2013. Stochastic modeling of pathogen adaptation to hosts carrying genetic resistances. PhD thesis, Angers University, Angers, France. .
- 2013. Timing of pathogen adaptation to a multicomponent treatment. PLoS One, in press. , , .
- 2005. Epidemiology and control of stripe rust [Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici] on wheat. Canadian Journal Plant Pathology 27: 314–337. .
- 2002. Using SPOT data for calibrating a wheat growth model under mediterranean conditions. Agronomie 22: 687–694. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Impacts of habitat fragmentation and patch size in migration rates. Ecological Applications 10: 131–144. , .
- 2002. Effects of wheat cultivar mixtures on epidemic progression of Septoria tritici blotch and pathogenicity of Mycosphaerella graminicola. Phytopathology 92: 617–623. , .
- 2009. Characterization of genetic components involved in durable resistance to stripe rust in the bread wheat ‘Renan’. Phytopathology 99: 968–973. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Dispersal in heterogeneous habitats: thresholds, spatial scales, and approximate rates of spread. Ecology 90: 1338–1345. , .
- 1993. An introduction to the bootstrap. London, UK: Chapman and Hall. , .
- 2012. Durable strategies to deploy plant resistance in agricultural landscapes. New Phytologist 193: 1064–1075. , , , .
- 2000. Cereal variety and species mixtures in practice. Agronomie 20: 813–837. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Stripe rust, yield, and plant competition in wheat cultivar mixtures. Phytopathology 82: 905–913. , .
- 1956. The complementary genetic systems in flax and flax rust. Advances in Genetics 8: 29–54. .
- 1999. Epidemiology in mixed host populations. Phytopathology 89: 984–990. , .
- 2009. Intraspecific functional diversity in hosts and its effect on disease risk across a climatic gradient. Ecological Applications 19: 1868–1883. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Spatiotemporal effects of cultivar mixtures on wheat stripe rust epidemics. European Journal of Plant Pathology 131: 483–496. , , , , .
- 2012. Effects of wheat cultivar mixtures on stripe rust: a meta-analysis on field trial. Crop Protection 33: 52–58. , , , , .
- 1981a. Disease progress of non-specialised fungal pathogens in intraspecific mixed stands of cereal cultivars. I. Models. Annals of Applied Biology 98: 187–198. , , .
- 1981b. Disease progress of non-specialised fungal pathogens in intraspecific mixed stands of cereal cultivars. II. Field experiments. Annals of Applied Biology 98: 199–210. , , .
- 2010. The effects of the spatial configuration of habitat fragmentation on invasive spread. Theoretical Population Biology 78: 298–308. , , .
- 2009. Diseases which challenge global wheat production – the cereal rusts. In: Carver BF, ed. Wheat: science and trade. Hoboken, NJ, USA: Wiley Press, 89–124. , , .
- 1985. Cautionary note about R2. The American Statistician 39: 279–285. .
- 2005. Competition and interactions among stripe rust pathotypes in wheat-cultivar mixtures. Plant Pathology 54: 699–712. , , .
- 1969. Factors affecting rates of stem rust increase in mixed plantings of susceptible and resistant oat varieties. Phytopathology 59: 1845–1850. .
- 1989. A concordance correlation coefficient to evaluate reproducibility. Biometrics 45: 255–268. .
- 1991. Effect of winter-wheat cultivar mixtures on leaf rust severity and grain-yield. Phytopathology 81: 470–474. , , .
- 2006. Assessing four-way mixtures of winter wheat cultivars from the performances of their two-way and individual components. European Journal of Plant Pathology 114: 163–173. , , , .
- 2002. Use of multiline cultivars and cultivar mixtures for disease management. Annual Review of Phytopathology 40: 381–410. .
- 1995. Choosing crop cultivars and mixtures under high versus low disease pressure: a case study with wheat. Crop Protection 14: 509–515. , , .
- 2011. Landscape heterogeneity and disease spread: experimental approaches with a plant pathogen. Ecological Applications 21: 321–328. , , .
- 1997. The effect of component number on Rhynchosporium secalis infection and yield in mixtures of winter barley cultivars. Plant Pathology 46: 930–938. , , , .
- 1992. The effect of specific and non-specific resistance in mixtures of barley genotypes on infection by mildew (Erysiphe graminis f.sp. hordei) and on yield. Euphytica 59: 73–81. , .
- 2004. Empirical evidence of spatial thresholds to control invasion of fungal parasites and saprotrophs. New Phytologist 163: 125–132. , , .
- 2011. Influence of cultivated landscape composition on variety resistance: an assessment based on wheat leaf rust epidemics. New Phytologist 191: 1095–1107. , , , , .
- 1992. Numerical recipes in C: the art of scientific computing, 2nd edn. London, UK: Cambridge University Press. , , , .
- 2004. Wheat rust in Asia: meeting the challenges with old and new technologies. In: New directions for a diverse planet, Proceedings 4th Int Crop Science Cong, 26 September – 1 October 2004, Brisbane Australia: 1–13 (URL http://www.cropscience.org.au/icsc2004/symposia/3/7/141_singhrp.htm). , , , .
- 2005. Influence of host diversity on development of epidemics: an evaluation and elaboration of mixture theory. Phytopathology 95: 328–338. , , , , .
- 2011. Effect of hosts on competition among clones and evidence of differential selection between pathogenic and saprophytic phases in experimental populations of the wheat pathogen Phaeosphaeria nodorum. BMC Evolutionary Biology 11: 188. , , , .
- 2011. How does the resistance threshold in spatially explicit epidemic dynamics depend on the basic reproductive ratio and spatial correlation of crop genotypes? Journal of Theoretical Biology 276: 117–125. , .
- 2004. Management of disease resistance diversity of cultivars of a species in single fields: controlling epidemics. Comptes Rendus Biologies 327: 611–620. .
- 2012. Virulence dynamics and regional structuring of Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici in France between 1984 and 2009. Plant Disease 96: 131–140. , , , , , .
- 1996. Induced resistance in wheat yellow rust epidemics in varietal mixtures. Proceedings of the 9th European and Mediterranean Cereal Rusts & Powdery Mildews Conference, 2–6 September 1996, Lunteren, the Netherlands. , .
- 2000. Stochastic simulation of the spread of race-specific and race-nonspecific aerial fungal pathogens in cultivar mixtures. Plant Pathology 49: 207–218. , .
- 1991. Application of the diffusion equation for modelling splash dispersal of point-source pathogens. New Phytologist 118: 295–301. , , .
- 2002. Local adaptation and effect of host genotype on the rate of pathogen evolution: an experimental test in a plant pathosystem. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 15: 634–647. , , , .