Allocation of gross primary production in forest ecosystems: allometric constraints and environmental responses
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 200, Issue 4, pages 1176–1186, December 2013
How to Cite
Chen, G., Yang, Y. and Robinson, D. (2013), Allocation of gross primary production in forest ecosystems: allometric constraints and environmental responses. New Phytologist, 200: 1176–1186. doi: 10.1111/nph.12426
- Issue published online: 4 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 APR 2013
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 31130013, 31000321
- Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in University (PCSIRT). Grant Number: IRT0960
- Science Foundation of the Fujian Province, China. Grant Number: 2010J06009
- 2005. Evans Review No. 2: the hot and the cold: unravelling the variable response of plant respiration to temperature. Functional Plant Biology 32: 87–105. , , , .
- 2007. Respiration as a percentage of daily photosynthesis in whole plants is homeostatic at moderate, but not high, growth temperatures. New Phytologist 174: 367–380. , , .
- 1985. Resource limitation in plants – an economic analogy. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16: 363–392. , , .
- 1997. Root biomass allocation in the world's upland forests. Oecologia 111: 1–11. , , , .
- 2004. Respiration from a tropical forest ecosystem: partitioning of sources and low carbon use efficiency. Ecological Applications 14: S72–S88. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Plant responses to multiple environmental factors. BioScience 37: 49–57. , , , .
- 2007. Forest carbon use efficiency: is respiration a constant fraction of gross primary production? Global Change Biology 13: 1157–1167. , , , .
- 2009. Optimal function explains forest responses to global change. BioScience 59: 127–139. , , , , .
- 2002. On the magnitude of positive feedback between future climate change and the carbon cycle. Geophysical Research Letters 29: 1405. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Evolutionarily stable srategy carbon allocation to foliage, wood, and fine roots in trees competing for light and nitrogen: an analytically tractable, individual-based model and quantitative comparisons to data. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. , , , , .
- 2012. Land plants. In: Sibly RM, Brown , JH , Kodric-Brown A, eds. Metabolic ecology. A scaling approach. Chichester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 164–187. , .
- 2002. Global allocation rules for patterns of biomass partitioning in seed plants. Science 295: 1517–1520. , .
- 2011. Fine root production and turnover in forest ecosystems in relation to stand and environmental characteristics. Forest Ecology and Management 262: 2008–2023. , , , .
- 2007. Optimal nitrogen allocation controls tree responses to elevated CO2. New Phytologist 174: 811–822. .
- 2012. Modeling carbon allocation in trees: a search for principles. Tree Physiology 32: 648–666. , , , , , , .
- 2013. Residence times of woody biomass in tropical forests. Plant Ecology & Diversity 6: 139–157. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Patterns and controls of the variability of radiation use efficiency and primary productivity across terrestrial ecosystems. Global Ecology and Biogeography 19: 253–267. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Patterns of NPP, GPP, respiration, and NEP during boreal forest succession. Global Change Biology 17: 855–871. , , , , , , .
- 2002. The role of plasticity in resource capture by plants. Evolutionary Ecology 16: 299–307. , .
- 2007. The likely impact of elevated [CO2], nitrogen deposition, increased temperature and management on carbon sequestration in temperate and boreal forest ecosystems: a literature review. New Phytologist 173: 463–480. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- IPCC. 2007. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Summary for policymakers. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 2010. Comparison of modeling approaches for carbon partitioning: Impact on estimates of global net primary production and equilibrium biomass of woody vegetation from MODIS GPP. Journal of Geophysical Research 115: G04025. , , , .
- 2000. Effects of altered water regimes on forest root systems. New Phytologist 147: 117–129. , , .
- 1990. Allometry of saplings and understorey trees of a Panamanian forest. Functional Ecology 4: 27–32. .
- 1987. Significance of architecture and allometry in saplings. Functional Ecology 1: 399–404. .
- 2007. Carbon allocation in forest ecosystems. Global Change Biology 13: 2089–2109. , , .
- 2010. A global perspective on belowground carbon dynamics under nitrogen enrichment. Ecology Letters 13: 819–828. , .
- 2007. CO2 balance of boreal, temperate, and tropical forests derived from a global database. Global Change Biology 13: 2509–2537. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The ratio of NPP to GPP: evidence of change over the course of stand development. Tree Physiology 21: 1015–1030. , .
- 2012. The productivity, metabolism and carbon cycle of tropical forest vegetation. Journal of Ecology 100: 65–75. .
- 2011. The allocation of ecosystem net primary productivity in tropical forests. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 366: 3225–3245. , , .
- 2009. Seedling root morphology and biomass allocation of 62 tropical tree species in relation to drought- and shade-tolerance. Journal of Ecology 97: 311–325. , .
- 2007. Consistency between an allometric approach and optimal partitioning theory in global patterns of plant biomass allocation. Functional Ecology 21: 713–720. , .
- 1999. Biomass allocation in plants: ontogeny or optimality? A test along three resource gradients. Ecology 80: 2581–2593. , .
- 2011. Plant communities as drivers of soil respiration: pathways, mechanisms, and significance for global change. Biogeosciences 8: 2047–2061. , , .
- 2000. The potential effects of nitrogen deposition on fine-root production in forest ecosystems. New Phytologist 147: 131–139. .
- 2002. A high-resolution data set of surface climate over global land areas. Climate Research 21: 1–25. , , , .
- 2002. On the vegetative biomass partitioning of seed pant leaves, stems, and roots. The American Naturalist 159: 482–497. , .
- 2010. Forest annual carbon cost: a global-scale analysis of autotrophic respiration. Ecology 91: 652–661. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Biomass allocation to leaves, stems and roots: meta-analyses of interspecific variation and environmental control. New Phytologist 193: 30–50. , , , , , .
- 2010. Re-evaluation of allometry: state-of-the-art and perspective regarding individuals and stands of woody plants. In: Lüttge U, Beyschlag W, Büdel B, Francis D, eds. Progress in botany 71. Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, 339–369. .
- 2008. Diversity predicts stability and resource use efficiency in natural phytoplankton communities. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 5134–5138. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Increased tree carbon storage in response to nitrogen deposition in the US. Nature Geoscience 3: 13–17. , , , .
- 1989. Belowground carbon allocation in forest ecosystems: global trends. Ecology 70: 1346–1354. , .
- 2002. Root-shoot relations: optimality in acclimation and adaptation or the ‘Emperor's New Clothes’? In: Waisel Y, Eshel A, Kafkafi U, eds. Plant roots: the hidden half. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 205–220. .
- 2004. Scaling the depths: below-ground allocation in plants, forests and biomes. Functional Ecology 18: 290–295. .
- 1991. The seduction by mechanism: a reply to Tilman. The American Naturalist 138: 1276–1282. , .
- 1989. A theory of the spatial and temporal dynamics of plant communities. Plant Ecology 83: 49–69. , .
- 1988. Plant strategies and the dynamics and structure of plant communities. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 1999. Acclimation of respiration to temperature and CO2 in seedlings of boreal tree species in relation to plant size and relative growth rate. Global Change Biology 5: 679–691. , , .
- 2012. Fertile forests produce biomass more efficiently. Ecology Letters 15: 520–526. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Net primary production of forests: a constant fraction of gross primary production? Tree Physiology 18: 129–134. , , .
- 2006. Bivariate line-fitting methods for allometry. Biological Reviews 81: 259–291. , , , .
- 2010. Allometric growth and allocation in forests: a perspective from FLUXNET. Ecological Applications 21: 1546–1556. , , .
- 2011. Responses of terrestrial ecosystems to temperature and precipitation change: a meta-analysis of experimental manipulation. Global Change Biology 17: 927–942. , , , , .
- 2011. Carbon and nitrogen dynamics during forest stand development: a global synthesis. New Phytologist 190: 977–989. , , .
- 2009. Global pattern of NPP to GPP ratio derived from MODIS data: effects of ecosystem type, geographical location and climate. Global Ecology and Biogeography 18: 280–290. , , , .