These authors contributed equally to this work.
Arabidopsis RopGEF4 and RopGEF10 are important for FERONIA-mediated developmental but not environmental regulation of root hair growth
Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 200, Issue 4, pages 1089–1101, December 2013
How to Cite
Huang, G.-Q., Li, E., Ge, F.-R., Li, S., Wang, Q., Zhang, C.-Q. and Zhang, Y. (2013), Arabidopsis RopGEF4 and RopGEF10 are important for FERONIA-mediated developmental but not environmental regulation of root hair growth. New Phytologist, 200: 1089–1101. doi: 10.1111/nph.12432
- Issue online: 4 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 19 MAY 2013
- The National Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 91017003
- 2001. The chimeric leucine-rich repeat/extensin cell wall protein LRX1 is required for root hair morphogenesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genes & Development 15: 1128–1139. , , .
- 2005. A new family of RhoGEFs activates the Rop molecular switch in plants. Nature 436: 1176–1180. , , .
- 1998. Localized changes in apoplastic and cytoplasmic pH are associated with root hair development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Development 125: 2925–2934. , , , .
- 1997. Root hair growth in Arabidopsis thaliana is directed by calcium and an endogenous polarity. Planta 203: 495–505. , , .
- 2011. Nitrogen source interacts with ROP signalling in root hair tip-growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 76–88. , , , , .
- 2005. A RhoGDP dissociation inhibitor spatially regulates growth in root hair cells. Nature 438: 1013–1016. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. AtPRK2 promotes ROP1 activation via RopGEFs in the control of polarized pollen pube growth. Molecular Plant 6: 1187–1201. , , , .
- 2011. RopGEF7 regulates PLETHORA-dependent maintenance of the root stem cell niche in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 23: 2880–2894. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Regulation of root hair initiation and expansin gene expression in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 14: 3237–3253. , .
- 2009. Receptor-like kinases shape the plant. Nature Cell Biology 11: 1166–1173. , , , .
- 2010. FERONIA receptor-like kinase regulates RHO GTPase signaling of root hair development. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 17821–17826. , , , , .
- 2007. The FERONIA receptor-like kinase mediates male-female interactions during pollen tube reception. Science 317: 656–660. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Reactive oxygen species produced by NADPH oxidase regulate plant cell growth. Nature 422: 442–446. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Through form to function: root hair development and nutrient uptake. Trends in Plant Science 5: 56–60. , .
- 2002. Root hairs. Arabidopsis Book 1: e0060. , .
- 2006. Members of a novel class of Arabidopsis Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factors control Rho GTPase-dependent polar growth. Plant Cell 18: 366–381. , , , .
- 2008. A tip-localized RhoGAP controls cell polarity by globally inhibiting Rho GTPase at the cell apex. Current Biology 18: 1907–1916. , , , , .
- 2007. NADPH oxidase- dependent reactive oxygen species formation required for root hair growth depends on ROP GTPase. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 1261–1270. , , , .
- 2002. The Arabidopsis Rop2 GTPase is a positive regulator of both root hair initiation and tip growth. Plant Cell 14: 763–776. , , , , , .
- 2002. GATEWAY vectors for Agrobacterium- mediated plant transformation. Trends in Plant Science 7: 193–195. , , .
- 2006. Nt-RhoGDI2 regulates Rac/Rop signaling and polar cell growth in tobacco pollen tubes. Plant Journal 46: 1018–1031. , , , .
- 2006. Tobacco RhoGTPase ACTIVATING PROTEIN1 spatially restricts signaling of RAC/Rop to the apex of pollen tubes. Plant Cell 18: 3033–3046. , .
- 2013. iRootHair: a comprehensive root hair genomics database. Plant Physiology 161: 28–35. , , , , .
- 2011a. Genetic and genomic evidence that sucrose is a global regulator of plant responses to phosphate starvation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 156: 1116–1130. , , , , , , , .
- 2011b. Ethylene signalling is involved in regulation of phosphate starvation-induced gene expression and production of acid phosphatases and anthocyanin in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 189: 1084–1095. , , , , , , .
- 2012. ROPGEF1 and ROPGEF4 are functional regulators of ROP11 GTPase in ABA-mediated stomatal closure in Arabidopsis. FEBS Letters 586: 1253–1258. , .
- 2001. Regulation of root hair density by phosphorus availability in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 459–467. , , , .
- 2009. Transient expression in Nicotiana benthamiana fluorescent marker lines provides enhanced definition of protein localization, movement and interactions in planta. Plant Journal 59: 150–162. , , , , , .
- 1994. The rhd6 mutation of Arabidopsis thaliana alters root-hair initiation through an auxin- and ethylene-associated process. Plant Physiology 106: 1335–1346. , .
- 2001. Arabidopsis thaliana Rop GTPases are localized to tips of root hairs and control polar growth. EMBO Journal 20: 2779–2788. , , , , , , .
- 2006. RAC/ROP GTPases: ‘hubs’ for signal integration and diversification in plants. Trends in Plant Science 11: 309–315. , , .
- 2011. Identification of legume RopGEF gene families and characterization of a Medicago truncatula RopGEF mediating polar growth of root hairs. Plant Journal 65: 230–243. , , , , , , .
- 2004. New signalling molecules regulating root hair tip growth. Trends in Plant Science 9: 217–220. , , .
- 2003. Cell-fate specification in the epidermis: a common patterning mechanism in the root and shoot. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 74–78. .
- 2008. Local positive feedback regulation determines cell shape in root hair cells. Science 319: 1241–1244. , , , , , .
- 2002. Plant Rac-like GTPases are activated by auxin and mediate auxin-responsive gene expression. Plant Cell 14: 2745–2760. , , .
- 2004. High-throughput fluorescent tagging of full-length Arabidopsis gene products in planta. Plant Physiology 135: 25–38. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Analysis of the small GTPase gene superfamily of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 131: 1191–1208. , , , .
- 2005. Actin-based motility of endosomes is linked to the polar tip growth of root hairs. European Journal of Cell Biology 84: 609–621. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Genetic structure and evolution of RAC-GTPases in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 156: 1959–1971. , , , .
- 2009. Cis-element- and transcriptome-based screening of root hair-specific genes and their functional characterization in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 150: 1459–1473. , , , , , .
- 2002. Small GTPases: versatile signaling switches in plants. Plant Cell 14(Suppl): S375–S388. .
- 2012. FERONIA receptor kinase pathway suppresses abscisic acid signaling in Arabidopsis by activating ABI2 phosphatase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: 14693–14698. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. A distinct mechanism regulating a pollen-specific guanine nucleotide exchange factor for the small GTPase Rop in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 18830–18835. , .
- 2003. Ethylene and phosphorus availability have interacting yet distinct effects on root hair development. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2351–2361. , , .
- 2013. PROTEIN S-ACYL TRANSFERASE10 is critical for development and salt tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 25: 1093–1107. , , , , , , , , .