These authors have contributed equally to this work.
Spatial-temporal analysis of zinc homeostasis reveals the response mechanisms to acute zinc deficiency in Sorghum bicolor
Article first published online: 5 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 200, Issue 4, pages 1102–1115, December 2013
How to Cite
Li, Y., Zhang, Y., Shi, D., Liu, X., Qin, J., Ge, Q., Xu, L., Pan, X., Li, W., Zhu, Y. and Xu, J. (2013), Spatial-temporal analysis of zinc homeostasis reveals the response mechanisms to acute zinc deficiency in Sorghum bicolor. New Phytologist, 200: 1102–1115. doi: 10.1111/nph.12434
- Issue published online: 4 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 5 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAY 2013
- China National Natural Sciences Foundation. Grant Numbers: 31272239, 31172035
- Key Project of State Key Laboratory of Desert and Oasis Ecology
- Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- The Hebei Province National Natural Sciences Foundation for Distinguished Young Scientists. Grant Number: C2013503042
- Chinese Academy of Sciences. Grant Number: KSCX2-EW-Q-25
- New Century Excellent Talent in Universities. Grant Number: NCET-11-0672
- 2009. Contribution of plastocyanin isoforms to photosynthesis and copper homeostasis in Arabidopsis thaliana grown at different copper regimes. Planta 229: 767–779. .
- 2008. MicroRNA-mediated systemic down-regulation of copper protein expression in response to low copper availability in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 15932–15945. , .
- 2005. MicroRNA directed phasing during trans-acting siRNA biogenesis in plants. Cell 121: 207–221. , , , .
- 2004. Zinc in soils and crop nutrition, vol. 130. Brussels, Belgium: International Zinc Association. .
- 1949. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts: polyphenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiology 24: 1. .
- 2010. The Arabidopsis thaliana transcription factors bZIP19 and bZIP23 regulate the adaptation to zinc deficiency. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 10296–10301. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. pho2, a phosphate overaccumulator, is caused by a nonsense mutation in a microRNA399 target gene. Plant Physiology 141: 1000–1011. , , , , , .
- 1982. The Ci/Ca ratio: a basis for predicting stomatal control of photosynthesis. Carnegie Institution of Washington Yearbook 81: 88–92. , .
- 1969. Carbonic anhydrase activity as an indicator of zinc deficiency in citrus leaves. Journal of Horticultural Science 44: 359–362. , .
- 1971. Superoxide dismutase: improved assays and an assay applicable to acrylamide gels. Analytical Biochemistry 44: 276–287. , .
- 2008. MicroRNA166 controls root and nodule development in Medicago truncatula. Plant Journal 54: 876–887. , , , , , , , , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 2007. Zinc in plants. New Phytologist 173: 677–702. , , , , .
- 2009. The MIQE guidelines: minimum information for publication of quantitative real-time PCR experiments. Clinical Chemistry 55: 611–622. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Possible roles of zinc in protecting plant cells from damage by reactive oxygen species. New Phytologist 146: 185–205. .
- 2002. Plant nutrition research: priorities to meet human needs for food in sustainable ways. Plant and Soil 247: 3–24. .
- 2005. Real-time quantification of microRNAs by stem-loop RT-PCR. Nucleic Acids Research 33: e179. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1981. Leaf senescence: correlated with increased levels of membrane permeability and lipid peroxidation and decreased levels of superoxide dismutase and catalase. Journal of Experimental Botany 32: 93–101. , , .
- 2005. Plantacyanin plays a role in reproduction in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 138: 778–789. , , .
- 1982. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 317–345. , .
- 2007. Target mimicry provides a new mechanism for regulation of microRNA activity. Nature Genetics 39: 1033–1037. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Molecular mechanisms of selenium tolerance and hyperaccumulation in Stanleya pinnata. Plant Physiology 153: 1630–1652. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Characterization of a Glomus intraradices gene encoding a putative Zn transporter of the cation diffusion facilitator family. Fungal Genetics and Biology 42: 130–140. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Zinc efficiency is correlated with enhanced expression and activity of Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase and carbonic anhydrase in wheat. Plant Physiology 131: 595–602. , , , , .
- 1950. The water-culture for growing plants without soil. Berkeley, CA, USA: California Agricultural Experiment Station Circular 347. , .
- 2000. Zinc deficiency up-regulates expression of high-affinity phosphate transporter genes in both phosphate-sufficient and-deficient barley roots. Plant Physiology 124: 415–422. , , , , .
- 2011. miR171 family members are involved in drought response in Solanum tuberosum. Journal of Plant Biology 54: 43–48. , , , , .
- 2011. Carbonic anhydrase activity in Arabidopsis thaliana thylakoid membrane and fragments enriched with PSI or PSII. Photosynthesis Research 110: 89–98. , , , , .
- 2010. Interplay of auxin, KANADI and Class III HD-ZIP transcription factors in vascular tissue formation. Development 137: 975–984. , , , , , , .
- 2005. OsZIP4, a novel zinc-regulated zinc transporter in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 3207–3214. , , , , , , .
- 1966. A new micromethod for the colorimetric determination of inorganic phosphate. Clinica Chimica Acta 14: 361–366. , .
- 2010. Molecular techniques in crop improvement, 2nd edn. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , eds.
- 2006. MicroRNAs and their regulatory roles in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 19–53. , , .
- 2008. Identification of precursor transcripts for 6 novel miRNAs expands the diversity on the genomic organisation and expression of miRNA genes in rice. BMC Plant Biology 8: 123. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The growth reduction associated with repressed lignin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana is independent of flavonoids. Plant Cell 22: 1620–1632. , , , .
- 2008. Regulatory network of microRNA399 and PHO2 by systemic signaling. Plant Physiology 147: 732–746. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Interactions between zinc and other nutrients affecting the growth of plants. In: Robson AD, ed. Zinc in soils and plants. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 119–134. , .
- 2010. The salt- and drought inducible poplar GRAS protein SCL7 confers salt and drought tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 4011–4019. , , , , .
- 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants, 2nd edn. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 2010. Comparative proteomic analysis of early-stage soybean seedlings responses to flooding by using gel and gel-free techniques. Journal of Proteome Research 9: 3989–4002. , , , .
- 1998. Uclacyanins, stellacyanins, and plantacyanins are distinct subfamilies of phytocyanins: plant-specific mononuclear blue copper proteins. Protein Science 7: 1915–1929. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Identification of nutrient-responsive Arabidopsis and rapeseed microRNAs by comprehensive real-time PCR profiling and small RNA sequencing. Plant Physiology 150: 1541–1555. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Characterization of a novel plant promoter specifically induced by heavy metal and identification of the promoter regions conferring heavy metal responsiveness. Plant Physiology 143: 50–59. , , .
- 1973. Zinc deficiency, carbonic anhydrase, and photosynthesis in leaves of spinach. Plant Physiology 52: 229–232. , .
- 2011. Spatial-temporal analysis of Cu homeostasis in Populus trichocarpa reveals an integrated molecular remodeling for a preferential allocation of copper to plastocyanin in the chloroplasts of developing leaves. Plant Physiology 157: 1300–1312. , , , , .
- 2005. Specific effects of microRNAs on the plant transcriptome. Development Cell 8: 517–527. , , , , , .
- 2004. Early signs of oxidative stress in wheat plants subjected to zinc deficiency. Journal of Plant Nutrition 27: 451–463. , , .
- 2009. Identification and characterization of 27 conserved microRNAs in citrus. Planta 230: 671–685. , , , , .
- 2010. Deep sequencing discovery of novel and conserved microRNAs in trifoliate orange (Citrus trifoliata). BMC Genomics 11: 431. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Effects of zinc deficiency on rice growth and genetic factors contributing to tolerance. Plant Physiology 142: 731–741. , , .
- 2008. Coronatine alleviates salinity stress in cotton by improving the antioxidative defense system and radical-scavenging activity. Journal of Plant Physiology 165: 375–384. , , , , , .
- 2010. Nitric oxide is associated with long-term zinc tolerance in Solanum nigrum. Plant Physiology 154: 1319–1334. , , , .
- 2001. Hormonal changes in the grains of rice subjected to water stress during grain filling. Plant Physiology 127: 315–323. , , , , .
- 2006. Photosynthetic responses of Populus przewalski subjected to drought stress. Photosynthetica 44: 62–68. , , .
- 1999. Micronutrient deficiency influences plant growth and activities of superoxide dismutases in narrow-leafed lupins. Annals of Botany 83: 175–182. , .
- 2008. Submergence-responsive microRNAs are potentially involved in the regulation of morphological and metabolic adaptations in maize root cells. Annals of Botany 102: 509–519. , , , , , .
- 2001. Alteration of auxin polar transport in the Arabidopsis ifl1 mutants. Science Signalling 126: 549. , .