SWEET sugar transporters for phloem transport and pathogen nutrition
Version of Record online: 19 AUG 2013
© 2013 Carnegie Institution for Science. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 4, pages 1150–1155, March 2014
How to Cite
Chen, L.-Q. (2014), SWEET sugar transporters for phloem transport and pathogen nutrition. New Phytologist, 201: 1150–1155. doi: 10.1111/nph.12445
- Issue online: 3 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 19 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 17 APR 2013
- Division of Chemical Sciences, Geosciences and Biosciences
- Office of Basic Energy Sciences at the US Department of Energy (DOE). Grant Number: DE-FG02-04ER15542
- 2010. Rice xa13 recessive resistance to bacterial blight is defeated by induction of the disease susceptibility gene Os-11N3. The Plant Cell 22: 3864–3876. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Membrane-transport systems for sucrose in relation to whole-plant carbon partitioning. Molecular Plant 4: 377–394. .
- 2012. SWEET as sugar: new sucrose effluxers in plants. Molecular Plant 5: 766–768. , , .
- 2004. Seed dry weight response to source-sink manipulations in wheat, maize and soybean: a quantitative reappraisal. Field Crops Research 86: 131–146. , , .
- 2012. Plant science. SWEET! The pathway is complete. Science 335: 173–174. .
- 1993. Proton-coupled sugar and amino acid transporters in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 44: 513–542. .
- 2013. Leaf fructose content is controlled by the vacuolar transporter SWEET17 in Arabidopsis. Current Biology 23: 697–702. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Sugar transporters for intercellular exchange and nutrition of pathogens. Nature 468: 527–532. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Sucrose efflux mediated by SWEET proteins as a key step for phloem transport. Science 335: 207–211. , , , , , , .
- 2013. Photoperiodic regulation of the sucrose transporter StSUT4 affects the expression of circadian-regulated genes and ethylene production. Frontiers in Plant Science 4: 26. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Targeting DNA double-strand breaks with TAL effector nucleases. Genetics 186: 757–761. , , , , , , , .
- 2006a. Targeting xa13, a recessive gene for bacterial blight resistance in rice. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 112: 455–461. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. Promoter mutations of an essential gene for pollen development result in disease resistance in rice. Genes & Development 20: 1250–1255. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Green sperm. Identification of male gamete promoters in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 138: 2124–2133. , , .
- 2011. Impaired function of the tonoplast-localized sucrose transporter in rice, OsSUT2, limits the transport of vacuolar reserve sucrose and affects plant growth. Plant Physiology 157: 109–119. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. The mechanism of phloem loading in rice (Oryza sativa). Molecules and Cells 33: 431–438. , , , .
- 2000. NEC1, a novel gene, highly expressed in nectary tissue of Petunia hybrida. Plant Journal 24: 725–734. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. Phloem loading of sucrose. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 34: 347–387. .
- 2011. Sucrose transporter plays a role in phloem loading in CMV-infected melon plants that are defined as symplastic loaders. Plant Journal 66: 366–374. , , , , , .
- 2000. Genetic evidence for the in planta role of phloem-specific plasma membrane sucrose transporters. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 13979–13984. , , , , .
- 2008. RUPTURED POLLEN GRAIN1, a member of the MtN3/saliva gene family, is crucial for exine pattern formation and cell integrity of microspores in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 147: 852–863. , , , , , .
- 2004. Transport mechanisms for organic forms of carbon and nitrogen between source and sink. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 341–372. , , .
- 2013. Designer TAL effectors induce disease susceptibility and resistance to Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae in rice. Molecular Plant 6: 781–789. , , , .
- 2012. High-efficiency TALEN-based gene editing produces disease-resistant rice. Nature Biotechnology 30: 390–392. , , , , .
- 2011. A paralog of the MtN3/saliva family recessively confers race-specific resistance to Xanthomonas oryzae in rice. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 1958–1969. , , , , , .
- 2007. Phloem loading in Verbascum phoeniceum L. depends on the synthesis of raffinose-family oligosaccharides. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 19619–19624. , .
- 2008. Functional analysis of LjSUT4, a vacuolar sucrose transporter from Lotus japonicus. Plant Molecular Biology 68: 289–299. , , , , .
- 2009. A comprehensive picture of phloem loading strategies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 14162–14167. , .
- 1992. Isolation and characterization of a sucrose carrier cDNA from spinach by functional expression in yeast. The EMBO Journal 11: 4705–4713. , , .
- 1994. Evidence for an essential role of the sucrose transporter in phloem loading and assimilate partitioning. The EMBO Journal 13: 1–7. , , .
- 1994. SUC1 and SUC2: two sucrose transporters from Arabidopsis thaliana; expression and characterization in baker's yeast and identification of the histidine-tagged protein. Plant Journal 6: 67–77. , .
- 2013. Transcription activator-like effector nucleases (TALENs): a highly efficient and versatile tool for genome editing. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 110: 1811–1821. , .
- 2010. The role of phloem loading reconsidered. Plant Physiology 152: 1817–1823. .
- 2009. Evidence for functional heterogeneity of sieve element-companion cell complexes in minor vein phloem of Alonsoa meridionalis. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 1873–1883. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Os8N3 is a host disease-susceptibility gene for bacterial blight of rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 10503–10508. , , .
- 2009. Pathogen-induced expressional loss of function is the key factor in race-specific bacterial resistance conferred by a recessive R gene xa13 in rice. Plant and Cell Physiology 50: 947–955. , , , , .
- 2013. Rice MtN3/Saliva/SWEET family genes and their homologs in cellular organisms. Molecular Plant 6: 665–674. , .
- 2007. A suite of sucrose transporters expressed in coats of developing legume seeds includes novel pH-independent facilitators. Plant Journal 49: 750–764. , , , , .