Function of isoamylase-type starch debranching enzymes ISA1 and ISA2 in the Zea mays leaf
Article first published online: 19 AUG 2013
No claim to original US goverment works. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 200, Issue 4, pages 1009–1021, December 2013
How to Cite
Lin, Q., Facon, M., Putaux, J.-L., Dinges, J. R., Wattebled, F., D'Hulst, C., Hennen-Bierwagen, T. A. and Myers, A. M. (2013), Function of isoamylase-type starch debranching enzymes ISA1 and ISA2 in the Zea mays leaf. New Phytologist, 200: 1009–1021. doi: 10.1111/nph.12446
- Issue published online: 4 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 19 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUN 2013
- 2002. Starch granule initiation and growth are altered in barley mutants that lack isoamylase activity. Plant Journal 31: 97–112. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Starch granule initiation is controlled by a heteromultimeric isoamylase in potato tubers. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 2215–2220. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. One- and two-dimensional native PAGE activity gel analyses of maize endosperm proteins reveal functional interactions between specific starch metabolizing enzymes. Journal of Applied Glycoscience 50: 207–212. , , .
- 2001. Two loci control phytoglycogen production in the monocellular green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Plant Physiology 125: 1710–1722. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Utility of RNA sequencing for analysis of maize reproductive transcriptomes. Plant Genome 4: 191–203. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Arabidopsis mutants Atisa1 and Atisa2 have identical phenotypes and lack the same multimeric isoamylase, which influences the branch point distribution of amylopectin during starch synthesis. Plant Journal 41: 815–830. , , , .
- 2006. Evidence for distinct mechanisms of starch granule breakdown in plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 281: 12050–12059. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Early gene duplication within chloroplastida and its correspondence with relocation of starch metabolism to chloroplasts. Genetics 178: 2373–2387. , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular structure of three mutations at the maize sugary1 locus and their allele-specific phenotypic effects. Plant Physiology 125: 1406–1418. , , , .
- 2012. Involvement of debranching enzymes in starch biosynthesis. In: Tetlow IJ, ed. Essential reviews in experimental biology, volume 5. The synthesis and breakdown of starch. London, UK: Society For Experimental Biology, 179–215. , , .
- 1991. A classification of glycosyl hydrolases based on amino-acid sequence similarities. Biochemistry Journal 280: 309–316. .
- 2003. Three isoforms of isoamylase contribute different catalytic properties for the debranching of potato glucans. The Plant Cell 15: 133–149. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Characterization of the maize gene sugary1, a determinant of starch composition in kernels. The Plant Cell 7: 417–429. , , .
- 1998. Three-dimensional structure of Pseudomonas isoamylase at 2.2 A resolution. Journal of Molecular Biology 281: 885–897. , , , .
- 2010. Functions of heteromeric and homomeric isoamylase-type starch debranching enzymes in developing maize endosperm. Plant Physiology 153: 956–969. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The developmental dynamics of the maize leaf transcriptome. Nature Genetics 42: 1060–1067. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Functional interactions between starch synthase III and isoamylase-type starch debranching enzyme in maize endosperm. Plant Physiology 158: 679–692. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Structural and metabolic transitions of C4 leaf development and differentiation defined by micro-scopy and quantitative proteomics in maize. The Plant Cell 22: 3509–3542. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Preamylopectin processing: a mandatory step for starch biosynthesis in plants. The Plant Cell 8: 1353–1366. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Changes in structure of starch and enzyme activities affected by sugary mutations in developing rice endosperm: possible role of starch debranching enzyme (R-enzyme) in amylopectin biosynthesis. Physiologia Plantarum 97: 491–498. , , , , , .
- 1998. Fluorophore-assisted carbohydrate electrophoresis (FACE) of oligosaccharides: efficiency of labelling and high-resolution separation. Carbohydrate Research 307: 1–12. , , , .
- 2012. The maize leaf starch mutation has diminished field growth and productivity. Crop Science 52: 700–706. , , , .
- 2008. Starch granule biosynthesis in Arabidopsis is abolished by removal of all debranching enzymes but restored by the subsequent removal of an endoamylase. The Plant Cell 20: 3448–3466. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Starch metabolism in Arabidopsis. The Arabidopsis Book 10: e0160. , .
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Research 22: 4673–4680. , , .
- 2006. Recurrent mutation in genomic evolution: example of Sugary1 and the origin of sweet maize. Crop Science 46: S49–S54. , , .
- 2006. Structural and enzymatic characterization of the isoamylase1 homo-oligomer and the isoamylase1-isoamylase2 hetero-oligomer from rice endosperm. Planta 225: 75–87. , .
- 2011. Functional diversity of isoamylase oligomers: the ISA1 homo-oligomer Is essential for amylopectin biosynthesis in rice endosperm. Plant Physiology 156: 61–77. , , , , .
- 2005. Mutants of Arabidopsis lacking a chloroplastic isoamylase accumulate phytoglycogen and an abnormal form of amylopectin. Plant Physiology 138: 184–195. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Further evidence for the mandatory nature of polysaccharide debranching for the aggregation of semicrystalline starch and for overlapping functions of debranching enzymes in Arabidopsis leaves. Plant Physiology 148: 1309–1323. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Starch-branching enzyme IIa is required for proper diurnal cycling of starch in leaves of maize. Plant Physiology 156: 479–490. , , , , , .
- 1998. A mutant of Arabidopsis lacking a chloroplastic isoamylase accumulates both starch and phytoglycogen. The Plant Cell 10: 1699–1711. , , , , , , .