Cyanobacterial nitrogen fixation in association with feather mosses: moss as boss?
Article first published online: 26 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 200, Issue 1, pages 5–6, October 2013
How to Cite
Sprent, J. I. and Meeks, J. C. (2013), Cyanobacterial nitrogen fixation in association with feather mosses: moss as boss?. New Phytologist, 200: 5–6. doi: 10.1111/nph.12449
- Issue published online: 26 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 26 AUG 2013
- 2000. Symbiotic interactions. In: Whitton BA, Potts M, eds. The ecology of cyanobacteria. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 523–561. .
- 2011. Facultative nitrogen fixation by canopy legumes in a lowland tropical forest. Oecologia 165: 511–520. , , .
- 2013. Boreal feather mosses secrete checmical signals to gain nitrogen. New Phytologist 200: 54–60. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Characteristics of hormogonia formation by symbiotic Nostoc spp. in response to the presence of Anthoceros punctatus or its extracellular products. Applied Environmental Microbiology 55: 125–131. , .
- 1998. Symbiosis between nitrogen-fixing cyanobacteria and plants. BioScience 48: 266–276. .
- 2003. Symbiotic interactions between Nostoc punctiforme, a multicellular cyanobacterium, and the hornwort Anthoceros punctatus. Symbiosis 35: 55–71. .
- 2013. Speak, friend, and enter: signalling systems that promote beneficial symbiotic associations in plants. Nature Reviews, Microbiology 11: 252–263. .
- 1977. The cyanophyte–hepatic symbiosis I. Morphology and physiology. New Phytologist 78: 441–458. , .
- 2010. Nodulated legumes in arid and semi-arid environments: are they important? Plant Ecology and Diversity 3: 211–219. , .
- 2008. Carbon and nitrogen metabolism in legume root nodules. In: Dilworth MJ, James EK, Sprent JI, Newton WE, eds. Nitrogen-fixing leguminous symbioses. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 293–320. .
- 2013. Biological nitrogen fixation: rates, patterns and ecological controls in terrestrial ecosystems. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 368: 20130119. , , , .