These authors contributed equally to this work.
A synthetic framework for modeling the genetic basis of phenotypic plasticity and its costs
Version of Record online: 13 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 1, pages 357–365, January 2014
How to Cite
Zhai, Y., Lv, Y., Li, X., Wu, W., Bo, W., Shen, D., Xu, F., Pang, X., Zheng, B. and Wu, R. (2014), A synthetic framework for modeling the genetic basis of phenotypic plasticity and its costs. New Phytologist, 201: 357–365. doi: 10.1111/nph.12458
- Issue online: 26 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 13 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 MAR 2013
- Changjiang Scholars Award
- ‘Thousand-person Plan’ Award
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity in the interactions and evolution of species. Science 294: 321–326. .
- 2009. Re-evaluating the costs and limits of adaptive phenotypic plasticity. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B 277: 503–511. , , .
- 1896. A new factor in evolution. American Naturalist 30: 441–451. .
- 2011. Evolution and molecular mechanisms of adaptive developmental plasticity. Molecular Ecology 20: 1347–1363. , , .
- 2005. Plasticity genes and plasticity costs: a new approach using an Arabidopsis recombinant inbred population. New Phytologist 166: 129–140. , , .
- 2000. Detecting epistasis among quantitative trait loci. Epistasis and the evolutionary process. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press. .
- 1996. Quantitative trait loci for murine growth. Genetics 142: 1305–1319. , , , , , .
- 1994. Empirical threshold values for quantitative trait mapping. Genetics 138: 963–971. , .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 13: 77–81. , , .
- 2010. Phenotypic plasticity in development and evolution, facts and concepts. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 365: 547–556. , .
- 2009. Genetics of phenotypic plasticity: QTL analysis in barley, Hordeum vulgare. Heredity 102: 163–173. , , .
- 1989. Mapping Mendelian factors underlying quantitative traits using RFLP linkage maps. Genetics 121: 185–199. , .
- 2006. A simplified conceptual model of carbon/nitrogen functioning for QTL analysis of winter wheat adaptation to nitrogen deficiency. TAG. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 113: 1131–1146. , , , , .
- 2000. Genetic differences for nitrogen uptake and nitrogen utilisation efficiencies in winter wheat. European Journal of Agronomy 12: 163–173. , , , .
- 2010. Functional mapping of genotype-environment interactions for soybean growth by a semiparametric approach. Plant Methods 6: 13. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Mapping determinants of gene expression plasticity by genetical genomics in C. elegans. PLoS Genetics 2: e222. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. A statistical model for testing the pleiotropic control of phenotypic plasticity of a count trait. Genetics 179: 627–636. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Defining the boundaries of development with plasticity. Biological Theory 6: 36–47. .
- 2010. Plant phenotypic plasticity in a changing climate. Trends in Plant Science 15: 684–692. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Phenotypic plasticity's impacts on diversification and speciation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 25: 459–467. , , , , , .
- 2005. Evolution of phenotypic plasticity: where are we going now? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20: 481–486. .
- 2002. Costs of phenotypic plasticity. American Naturalist 159: 272–282. .
- 1997. Gene effects on a quantitative trait: two-locus epistatic effects measured at microsatellite markers and at estimated QTL. Evolution 51: 1654–1662. , .
- 1993. Genetics and evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 24: 35–68. .
- 1986. The evolution of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 17: 667–693. .
- 2002. Phenotypic plasticity: linking molecular mechanisms with evolutionary outcomes. Evolutionary Ecology 16: 189–211. , .
- 2011. Hormone signaling and phenotypic plasticity in nematode development and evolution. Current Biology 21: R758–R766. , .
- 2000. Phenotypic plasticity for plant development, function and life history. Trends in Plant Science 5: 537–542. .
- 2010. Plant developmental responses to the environment: eco-devo insights. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 13: 96–101. .
- 2003. Genotype–environment interactions at quantitative trait loci affecting inflorescence development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 165: 353–365. , , , .
- 1995. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity: consensus and controversy. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 10: 212–217. , , , , , .
- 1942. Canalization of development and the inheritance of acquired characters. Nature 150: 563–565. .
- 2013. A dynamic framework for quantifying the genetic architecture of phenotypic plasticity. Briefings in Bioinformatics 14: 82–95. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Identification of a major QTL that alters flowering time at elevated [CO2] in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS ONE 7: e49028. , , , , , .
- 2005. Developmental plasticity and the origin of species differences. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 6543–6549. .
- 1998. The detection of plasticity genes in heterogeneous environments. Evolution 52: 967–977. .
- 2006. Functional mapping – how to map and study the genetic architecture of dynamic complex traits. Nature Reviews Genetics 7: 229–237. , .
- 2007. Statistical genetics of quantitative traits: linkage, maps, and QTL. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag. , , .
- 2011. Functional mapping of reaction norms to multiple environmental signals through nonparametric covariance estimation. BMC Plant Biology 11: 23. , , , , .
- 2010. Using probe genotypes to dissect QTL × environment interactions for grain yield components in winter wheat. TAG. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 121: 1501–1517. , , , , , .
- 2012. Phenotypic plasticity of the Drosophila transcriptome. PLoS Genetics 8: e1002593. , , , , .