A system dynamics model integrating physiology and biochemical regulation predicts extent of crassulacean acid metabolism (CAM) phases
Version of Record online: 29 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 200, Issue 4, pages 1116–1131, December 2013
How to Cite
Owen, N. A. and Griffiths, H. (2013), A system dynamics model integrating physiology and biochemical regulation predicts extent of crassulacean acid metabolism (CAM) phases. New Phytologist, 200: 1116–1131. doi: 10.1111/nph.12461
- Issue online: 4 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 29 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 JUN 2013
- Australian Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation (RIRDC)
- 1983. Water relations, diurnal acidity changes, and productivity of a cultivated cactus, Opuntia ficus-indica. Plant Physiology 72: 775–780. , , .
- 1998. Oscillatory model of crassulacean acid metabolism: structural analysis and stability boundaries with a discrete hysteresis switch. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 775–784. , , .
- 1997. A comparative study on the regulation of C3 and C4 carboxylation processes in the constitutive crassulacean acid metabolism (CAM) plant Kalanchoe daigremontiana and the C3-CAM intermediate Clusia minor. Planta 201: 368–378. , .
- 1994. Carbon-isotope composition of biochemical fractions and the regulation of carbon balance in leaves of the C3-crassulacean acid metabolism intermediate Clusia minor L. growing in Trinidad. Plant Physiology 106: 493–501. , , , , .
- 2009. Exploiting the potential of plants with crassulacean acid metabolism for bioenergy production on marginal lands. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 2879–2896. , , , .
- 1999. Metabolite control overrides circadian regulation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase kinase and CO2 fixation in crassulacean acid metabolism. Plant Physiology 121: 889–896. , , , , .
- 2004. Synchronization of metabolic processes in plants with crassulacean acid metabolism. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 1255–1265. , .
- 2004. From system dynamics and discrete event to practical agent based modeling: reasons, techniques, tools. 22nd International Conference of the System Dynamics Society, July 25–29. Oxford, UK: The 22nd International Conference of the System Dynamics Society. , .
- 2007. System Zoo 1: simulation models. Norderstedt, Germany: Books on Demand GmbH. .
- 2005. The control of stomata by water balance. New Phytologist 168: 275–292. .
- 2003. A hydromechanical and biochemical model of stomatal conductance. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1767–1785. , , .
- 1997. Malate transport and vacuolar ion channels in CAM plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 623–631. , , , .
- 2004. Day-night changes of energy-rich compounds in crassulacean acid metabolism (CAM) species utilizing hexose and starch. Annals of Botany 94: 449–455. , .
- 2002. Reverse engineering of biological complexity. Science (New York, NY) 295: 1664–1669. , .
- 2012. Competing carboxylases: circadian and metabolic regulation of Rubisco in C3 and CAM Mesembryanthemum crystallinum L. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 1211–1220. , .
- 2011. The global potential for Agave as a biofuel feedstock. GCB Bioenergy 3: 68–78. , , .
- 2002. Crassulacean acid metabolism: plastic, fantastic. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 569–580. , , , , .
- 2003. Integrating diel starch metabolism with the circadian and environmental regulation of Crassulacean acid metabolism in Mesembryanthemum crystallinum. Planta 216: 789–797. , , , , .
- 1998. Mental models concepts for system dynamics research. Systems Dynamics Review 14: 3–29. , .
- 2008. Mesophyll conductance to CO2: current knowledge and future prospects. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 602–621. , , , , .
- 1968. Industrial dynamics – after the first decade. Management Science 7: 398–415. .
- 2011. Highlights for Agave productivity. GCB Bioenergy 3: 4–14. , , .
- 2002. Regulation of Rubisco activity in crassulacean acid metabolism plants: better late than never. Functional Plant Biology 29: 689–696. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Short-term changes in carbon-isotope discrimination identify transitions between C3 and C4 carboxylation during crassulacean acid metabolism. Planta 181: 604–610. , , , .
- 2007. Discrimination in the dark. Resolving the interplay between metabolic and physical constraints to phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase activity during the crassulacean acid metabolism cycle. Plant Physiology 143: 1055–1067. , , , .
- 2013. Mesophyll conductance: internal insights of leaf carbon exchange. Plant, Cell & Environment 36: 733–735. , .
- 2008. Leaf succulence determines the interplay between carboxylase systems and light use during crassulacean acid metabolism in Kalanchöe species. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1851–1961. , , , .
- 2013. You're so vein: bundle sheath physiology, phylogeny and evolution in C3 and C4 plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 36: 249–261. , , , .
- 2005. The co-ordination of central plant metabolism by the circadian clock. Biochemical Society Transactions 33: 945–948. .
- 1996. Higher plant phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase kinase is regulated at the level of translatable mRNA in response to light or a circadian rhythm. Plant Journal 10: 1071–1078. , , , , .
- 1991. Posttranslational regulation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in C4 and crassulacean acid metabolism plants. Plant Physiology 95: 981–985. , .
- 2002a. Systems biology: a brief overview. Science (New York, NY) 295: 1662–1664. .
- 2002b. Computational systems biology. Nature 420: 206–210. .
- 2000. The tonoplast functioning as the master switch for circadian regulation of crassulacean acid metabolism. Planta 211: 761–769. .
- 2002. CO2-concentrating: consequences in crassulacean acid metabolism. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 2131–2142. .
- 2011. Ethanol production from two varieties of henequen (Agave fourcroydes Lem). GCB Bioenergy 3: 37–42. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Modulation of Rubisco activity during the diurnal phases of the crassulacean acid metabolism plant Kalanchoe daigremontiana. Plant Physiology 121: 849–856. , , , , , .
- 1997. Is a low internal conductance to CO2 diffusion a consequence of succulence in plants with crassulacean acid metabolism? Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 24: 777–786. , , .
- 1988. Do stomata respond to CO2 concentrations other than intercellular? Plant Physiology 86: 200–203. .
- 2000. Patchy stomatal conductance: emergent collective behaviour of stomata. Trends in Plant Science 5: 258–262. , .
- 2001. The role of epidermal turgor in stomatal interactions. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 657–662. , .
- 1967. On the computation of saturation vapour pressure. Applied Meteorology 6: 203–204. .
- 2009. Role of mesophyll diffusion conductance in constraining potential photosynthetic productivity in the field. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 2249–2270. , , , , .
- 1987. Persistent circadian rhythms in the phosphorylation state of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase from Bryophyllum fedtschenkoi leaves and its sensitivity to inhibition by malate. Tracks A Journal of Artists Writings 170: 408–415. , , , .
- 2000. The regulation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in CAM plants. Trends in Plant Science 5: 75–80. .
- 2001. PEP carboxylase kinase is a novel protein kinase controlled at the level of expression. New Phytologist 151: 91–97. , , , , , .
- 1976. Water relations and photosynthesis of a desert CAM Plant, Agave deserti. Plant Physiology 58: 576–582. .
- 1984. Productivity of Agave deserti: measurement by dry weight and monthly prediction using physiological responses to environmental parameters. Oecologia 64: 1–7. .
- 1985. PAR, water, and temperature limitations on the productivity of cultivated Agave fourcroydes (HENEQUEN). Journal of Applied Ecology 22: 157–173. .
- 1987. Environmental responses and productivity of the CAM plant, Agave tequilana. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology 39: 319–334. .
- 1988. Environmental biology of Agaves and cacti. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1991. Tansley Review No. 32. Achievable productivities of certain CAM plants: basis for high values compared with C3 and C4 plants. New Phytologist 119: 183–205. .
- 2001. Net CO2 uptake for Agave tequilana in a warm and a temperate environment. Biotropica 33: 312–318. .
- 1983. Relationships between photosynthetically active radiation, nocturnal acid accumulation, and CO2 uptake for a crassulacean acid metabolism plant, Opuntia ficus-indica. Plant Physiology 7: 71–75. , .
- 1986. Environmental productivity indices for a Chihuahuan Desert CAM plant: Agave lechuguilla. Ecology 67: 1–11. , .
- 1987. Environmental responses of the CAM Plant, Agave tequilana. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 39: 319–334. , .
- 1982. Purification and properties of Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase from plants with crassulacean acid metabolism. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 409–422. , .
- 2011. Agave for tequila and biofuels: an economic assessment and potential opportunities. GCB Bioenergy 3: 43–57. , , .
- 1984. A dynamic computer model of the metabolic and regulatory processes in Crassulacean acid metabolism. Planta 162: 204–214. , , , .
- 2010. The ecological water-use strategies of succulent plants. In: Kader J-C, Delseny M, eds. Advances in botanical research, vol. 55. Burlington, OH, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 1978. Crassulacean acid metabolism: a curiosity in context. Annual Review Plant Physiology 29: 379–414. .
- 2013. Marginal land bioethanol yield potential of four crassulacean acid metabolism candidates (Agave fourcroydes, Agave salmiana, Agave tequilana and Opuntia ficus-indica) in Australia. GCB Bioenergy. doi:10.1111/gcbb.12094. , .
- 1992. Metabolite compartmentation and transport in CAM plants. In: Tobin AK, ed. Plant organelles. Compartmentation of metabolism in photosynthetic tissue. Society of Experimental Biology Seminar Series 50. Cambridge, UK: Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge, 141–167. , .
- 2002. Rubisco: structure, regulatory interactions, and possibilities for a better enzyme. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 449–475. , .
- 2002. Environmental, hormonal and circadian regulation of crassulacean acid metabolism expression. Functional Plant Biology 29: 669–678. , , .
- 2013. Importance of leaf anatomy in determining mesophyll diffusion conductance to CO2 across species: quantitative limitations and scaling up by models. Journal of Experimental Botany 64: 2269–2281 , , , , , , , , , .
- VentanaSystems. 2012. Vensim PLE Plus Software. [WWW document] URL http://www.vensim.com/ [accessed 12 February 2012].
- 2009. Stomatal responses to CO2 during a diel crassulacean acid metabolism cycle in Kalanchoe daigremontiana and Kalanchoe pinnata. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 567–576. , .
- 1992. Dissociation of Ribulose-1, 5-Bisphosphate bound to Ribulose-1, 5-Bisphosphate Carboxylase/Oxygenase and its enhancement by Ribulose-1,5-Bisphosphate Carboxylase/Oxygenase Activase-mediated hydrolysis of ATP. Plant Physiology 99: 1348–1353. , .
- 2010. Contribution of carbon fixed by Rubisco and PEPC to phloem export in the Crassulacean acid metabolism plant Kalanchoe daigremontiana. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 1375–1383. , , , .
- 2011. Drought-stress-induced up-regulation of CAM in seedlings of a tropical cactus, Opuntia elatior, operating predominantly in the C3 mode. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 4037–4042. , , , .
- 2011. Induction and reversal of crassulacean acid metabolism in Calandrinia polyandra: effects of soil moisture and nutrients. Functional Plant Biology 7: 576–582. , .
- 1996. Crassulacean acid metabolism: biochemistry, ecophysiology and evolution. Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 2011. Life cycle energy and greenhouse gas analysis for Agave-derived bioethanol. Energy & Environmental Science 4: 3110–3121. , , , , .
- 1999. Mechanism of light regulation of Rubisco: a specific role for the larger Rubisco activase isoform involving reductive activation by thioredoxin-f. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 9438–9443. , .