Version of Record online: 29 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 1, pages 57–65, January 2014
How to Cite
Verhoeven, A. (2014), Sustained energy dissipation in winter evergreens. New Phytologist, 201: 57–65. doi: 10.1111/nph.12466
- Issue online: 26 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 29 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 JUN 2013
- 1994. Carotenoid composition and down regulation of photosystem II in three conifer species during the winter. Physiologia Plantarum 92: 451–458. , .
- 2004. Photoprotective strategies of overwintering evergreens. BioScience 54: 41–50. , , , .
- 2001. The ELIP family of stress proteins in the thylakoid membranes of pro and eukaryote. In: Aro EM, Andersson B, eds. Advances in photosynthesis and respiration – regulation of photosynthesis. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer, 487–505. .
- 2001. Cold acclimation and deacclimation of shoots and roots of conifer seedlings. In: Bigras FJ, Colombo SJ, eds. Conifer cold hardiness. London, UK: Kluwer, 57–88. , , , .
- 1990. Role of the xanthophyll cycle in photoprotection elucidated by measurements of light-induced absorbance changes, fluorescence and photosynthesis in Hedera canariensis. Photosynthesis Research 25: 173–185. , .
- 2007. Increased air temperature during simulated autumn conditions does not increase photosynthetic carbon gain but affects the dissipation of excess energy in seedlings of the evergreen conifer Jack pine. Plant Physiology 143: 1242–1251. , , .
- 2008. Increased air temperature during simulated autumn conditions impairs photosynthetic electron transport between photosystem II and photosystem I. Plant Physiology 147: 402–414. , , .
- 2005. A mechanism of nonphotochemical energy dissipation, independent from PsbS, revealed by a conformational change in the antenna protein CP26. Plant Cell 17: 1217–1232. , , .
- 2005. Supramolecular organization of thylakoid membrane proteins in green plants. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1706: 12–39. , .
- 2006. Photoprotection in an ecological context: the remarkable complexity of thermal energy dissipation. New Phytologist 172: 11–21. , .
- 2012. Modulation of photosynthetic energy conversion efficiency in nature: from seconds to seasons. Photosynthesis Research 113: 75–88. , , , .
- 2005. Up-regulation of a photosystem II core protein phosphatase inhibitor and sustained D1 phosphorylation in zeaxanthin-retaining, photoinhibited needles of overwintering Douglas fir. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 232–240. , , , , .
- 2006. Photostasis and cold acclimation: sensing low temperature through photosynthesis. Physiologia Plantarum 126: 28–44. , , .
- 2004. Intermittent low temperatures constrain spring recovery of photosynthesis in boreal Scots pine forests. Global Change Biology 10: 995–1008. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Dark induction of the photoprotective xanthophyll cycle in response to dehydration. Journal of Plant Physiology 166: 1734–1744. , , , , .
- 2012. Thermal energy dissipation and xanthophyll cycles beyond the Arabidopsis model. Photosynthesis Research 113: 89–103. , , , , .
- 1997. Mechanistic aspects of xanthophyll cycle-dependent photoprotection in higher plant chloroplasts and leaves. Physiologia Plantarum 99: 197–209. .
- 2000. Protection and storage of chlorophyll in overwintering evergreens. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 97: 11098–11101. , .
- 2009. Identification of two quenching sites active in the regulation of photosynthetic light-harvesting studied by time-resolved fluorescence. Chemical Physics Letters 483: 262–267. , , , .
- 2012. Optimization of light harvesting and photoprotection: molecular mechanisms and physiological consequences. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, Biological Sciences 367: 3455–3465. .
- 2001. Photosynthetic electron transport adjustments in overwintering Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.). Planta 231: 575–585. , , , , , , .
- 2012. The role of the xanthophyll cycle and of lutein in photoprotection of photosystem II. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1817: 182–193. , .
- 2011. Photoprotective energy dissipation involves the reorganization of photosystem II light-harvesting complexes in the grana membranes of spinach chloroplasts. Plant Cell 23: 1468–1479. , , , , , .
- 1980. Responses of plants to environmental stresses, 2nd edn. New York, NY, USA: Academic. .
- 2004. Regulation of photosynthetic light harvesting involves intrathylakoid lumen pH sensing by the PsbS protein. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 22866–22874. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Climatic influences on net CO2 exchange during the transition from wintertime carbon source to springtime carbon sink in a high-elevation, subalpine forest. Oecologia 146: 130–147. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Non-photochemical quenching. A response to excess light energy. Plant Physiology 125: 1558–1566. , , .
- 2011. Manipulation of photoprotection to improve plant photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 155: 86–92. , .
- 2010. Identification of a slowly inducible zeaxanthin-dependent component of non-photochemical quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence generated under steady-state conditions in Arabidopsis. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1797: 466–475. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Photosynthesis of overwintering evergreen plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 329–355. , .
- 1985. Effects of winter stress on photosynthetic electron transport and energy distribution between the two photosystems of pine as assayed by chlorophyll fluorescence kinetics. Photosynthesis Research 7: 19–30. , .
- 1995. Seasonal changes in photosystem II organization and pigment composition in Pinus sylvestris. Planta 197: 176–183. , , .
- 1991. Recovery of photosynthesis in winter-stressed Scots pine. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 345–349. , .
- 2011. A high-resolution portrait of the annual dynamics of photochemical and non-photochemical quenching in needles of Pinus sylvestris. Physiologia Plantarum 143: 139–153. .
- 2001. Patterns of desiccation tolerance and recovery in bryophytes. Plant Growth Regulation 35: 147–156. .
- 2010. Recovery rates of chlorophyll-fluorescence parameters in desiccation-tolerant plants: fitted logistic curves as a versatile and robust source of comparative data. Plant Growth Regulation 62: 233–240. .
- 2012. The photoprotective molecular switch in the photosystem II antenna. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1817: 167–181. , , .
- 2010. Regulation of energy partitioning and alternative electron transport pathways during cold acclimation of lodgepole pine is oxygen dependent. Plant Cell Physiology 51: 1555–1570. , , , , , .
- 2002. Two different strategies for light utilization in photosynthesis in relation to growth and cold acclimation. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 761–771. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Photoprotection in plants: a new light on photosystem II damage. Trends in Plant Science 16: 53–60. , .
- 2009. Spring initiation and autumn cessation of boreal coniferous forest CO2 exchange assessed by meteorological and biological variables. Tellus 61B: 701–717. , , , , , .
- 2009. Seasonal changes in abundance and phosphorylation status of photosynthetic proteins in eastern white pine and balsam fir. Tree Physiology 29: 362–374. , , , .
- 2005. Seasonal changes in leaf antioxidant systems and xanthophyll cycle characteristics in Taxus x media growing in sun and shade environments. Physiologia Plantarum 123: 428–434. , , , .
- 2013. Recovery kinetics of photochemical efficiency in winter stressed conifers: the effects of growth light environment, extent of the season and species. Physiologia Plantarum 147: 147–158. .
- 1996. Close relationship between the state of the xanthophyll cycle pigments and photosystem II efficiency during recovery from winter stress. Physiologia Plantarum 96: 567–576. , , .
- 1998. Photoinhibition during winter stress in sun and shade Euonymus kiautschovicus leaves; the xanthophyll cycle and leaf adenylate status. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 893–903. , , .
- 2006a. Winter acclimation of PsbS and related proteins in the evergreen Arctostaphylos uva-ursi as influenced by altitude and light environment. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 869–878. , , , , , .
- 2006b. Photosynthetic capacity and light harvesting efficiency during the winter to spring transition in subalpine conifers. New Phytologist 172: 283–292. , , , , .