These authors contributed equally to this work.
OsFIE2 plays an essential role in the regulation of rice vegetative and reproductive development
Version of Record online: 10 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 1, pages 66–79, January 2014
How to Cite
Li, S., Zhou, B., Peng, X., Kuang, Q., Huang, X., Yao, J., Du, B. and Sun, M.-X. (2014), OsFIE2 plays an essential role in the regulation of rice vegetative and reproductive development. New Phytologist, 201: 66–79. doi: 10.1111/nph.12472
- Issue online: 26 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 JUN 2013
- ‘973’ Project. Grant Numbers: 2013CB126900, 2014CB943400
- ‘Chen Guang’ project. Grant Number: 201154031100
- 2004. The PLETHORA genes mediate patterning of the Arabidopsis root stem cell niche. Cell 119: 109–120. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Hematopoietic stem cell self-renewal. Current Opinion in Genetics & Development 16: 496–501. , .
- 2006. Cellular memory and dynamic regulation of polycomb group proteins. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 18: 275–283. , .
- 2000. Root development. Current Biology 10: R813–R815. , .
- 1998. Cell fate and cell differentiation status in the Arabidopsis root. Planta 205: 483–491. , , .
- 2011. Polycomb repressive complex 2 controls the embryo-to-seedling phase transition. PLoS Genetics 7: e1002014. , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Polycomb complexes repress developmental regulators in murine embryonic stem cells. Nature 441: 349–353. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. EZH2 is downstream of the pRB-E2F pathway, essential for proliferation and amplified in cancer. EMBO Journal 22: 5323–5335. , , , , , .
- 2006. Searching chromatin for stem cell identity. Cell 125: 233–236. , .
- 2006. Complexity beneath the silence. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9: 530–537. , .
- 2008. Polycomb repressive complex 2 is dispensable for maintenance of embryonic stem cell pluripotency. Stem Cells 26: 1496–1505. , , .
- 1998. In situ localization of calmodulin mRNA and protein in the developing anthers and pistils in rice. Acta Botanica Sinica 40: 1087–1092. , , , .
- 1996. Ubiquitin promoter-based vectors for high level expression of selectable and or screenable marker genes in monocotyledonous plants. Transgenic Research 5: 213–218. , .
- 1991. Production of transgenic rice (Oryza sativa L.) plants from agronomically important indica and japonica varieties via electric discharge particle acceleration of exogenous DNA into immature zygotic embryos. Nature Biotechnology 9: 957–962. , , .
- 2001. Linking the Rb and polycomb pathways. Molecular Cell 8: 557–569. , , , , .
- 2005. Role of polycomb group proteins in stem cell self-renewal and cancer. DNA and Cell Biology 24: 117–125. , , .
- 1982. Monoclonal antibody to 5-bromo- and 5-iododeoxyuridine: a new reagent for detection of DNA replication. Science 218: 474–475. .
- 2005. Control of reproduction by Polycomb Group complexes in animals and plants. International Journal of Developmental Biology 49: 707–716. , .
- 2003. From flour to flower: how Polycomb group proteins influence multiple aspects of plant development. Trends in Plant Science 8: 439–445. , , , .
- 2005. Crown rootless1, which is essential for crown root formation in rice, is a target of an AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR in auxin signaling. Plant Cell 17: 1387–1396. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Isolation and characterization of a rice WUSCHEL-type homeobox gene that is specifically expressed in the central cells of a quiescent center in the root apical meristem. Plant Journal 35: 429–441. , , , , .
- 2010. Research article: Epigenetic chromatin modifiers in barley: IV. The study of barley Polycomb group (PcG) genes during seed development and in response to external ABA. BMC Plant Biology 10: 73. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. FIE and CURLY LEAF polycomb proteins interact in the regulation of homeobox gene expression during sporophyte development. Plant Journal 37: 707–719. , , , , .
- 2009. Polycomb group complexes–many combinations, many functions. Trends in Cell Biology 19: 692–704. .
- 2010. Epigenetic regulation of gene programs by EMF1 and EMF2 in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 152: 516–528. , , .
- 2001. Polycomb repression of flowering during early plant development. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 14156–14161. , , , .
- 2002. Epigenetic inheritance of expression states in plant development: the role of Polycomb group proteins. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 14: 773–779. , .
- 2006. Epigenetic mechanisms governing seed development in plants. EMBO Reports 7: 1223–1227. , .
- 2008. Programming of gene expression by Polycomb group proteins. Trends in Cell Biology 18: 236–243. , .
- 2002. Ectopic expression of OsMADS3, a rice ortholog of AGAMOUS, caused a homeotic transformation of lodicules to stamens in transgenic rice plants. Plant Cell Physiology 43: 130–135. , .
- 2003. Polycomb group genes as epigenetic regulators of normal and leukemic hemopoiesis. Experimental Hematology 31: 567–585. , .
- 2006. A rice glutamate receptor-like gene is critical for the division and survival of individual cells in the root apical meristem. Plant Cell 18: 340–349. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. The titan mutants of Arabidopsis are disrupted in mitosis and cell cycle control during seed development. Plant Journal 16: 21–31. , .
- 2004. Polycomb complexes and silencing mechanisms. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 16: 239–246. , .
- 2009. Expression, imprinting, and evolution of rice homologs of the Polycomb group genes. Molecular Plant 2: 711–723. , , , , .
- 2006. Polycomb group-dependent Cyclin A repression in Drosophila. Genes & Development 20: 501–513. , , , , .
- 1999. A simple, rapid and quantitative method for preparing Arabidopsis protein extracts for immunoblot analysis. Plant Journal 20: 251–257. , , .
- 2010. Polycomb group protein-mediated repression of transcription. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 35: 323–332. , .
- 2009. Regulation of stem cell maintenance by the Polycombprotein FIE has been conserved during land plant evolution. Development 136: 2433–2444. , , , , , .
- 2004. Interaction of FIE, a polycomb protein, with pRb: a possible mechanism regulating endosperm development. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 271: 651–657. , , , , .
- 2013. Polycomb group gene OsFIE2 regulates rice (Oryza sativa) seed development and grain filling via a mechanism distinct from Arabidopsis. PLoS Genetics 9: e1003322. , , , , , .
- 1999. Mutations in FIE, a WD polycomb group gene, allow endosperm development without fertilization. Plant Cell 11: 407–416. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Gene repression by Polycomb group protein complexes: a distinct complex for every occasion? Current Opinion in Genetics & Development 13: 448–454. , .
- 2010. ESCs require PRC2 to direct the successful reprogramming of differentiated cells toward pluripotency. Cell Stem Cell 6: 547–556. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. HEED, the product of the human homolog of the murineeed gene, binds to the matrix protein of HIV-1. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 1635–1645. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Developmental regulation and downstream effects of the knox class homeobox genes Oskn2 and Oskn3 from rice. Plant Molecular Biology 48: 423–441. , , , , , .
- 1999. Characterization of the KNOX class homeobox genes Oskn2 and Oskn3 identified in a collection of cDNA libraries covering the early stages of rice embryogenesis. Plant Molecular Biology 39: 257–271. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Partial desiccation of mature embryo-derived calli, a simple treatment that dramatically enhances the regeneration ability of indica rice. The Plant Cell Report 13: 647–651. , , , , , .
- 1997. MADS domain proteins in plant development. Biological Chemistry 378: 1079–1101. , .
- 2006. Polycomb, trithorax and the decision to differentiate. BioEssays 28: 330–334. .
- 2004. Epigenetic regulation of cellular memory by the Polycomb and Trithorax group proteins. Annual Review of Genetics 38: 413–443. , .
- 2010. Polycomb group gene function in sexual and asexual seed development in angiosperms. Sexual Plant Reproduction 23: 123–133. , , , .
- 2008. Sexual and apomictic seed formation in Hieracium requires the plant Polycomb-group gene fertilization independent endosperm. Plant Cell 20: 2372–2386. , , , , .
- 1984. Ribosomal DNA spacer-length polymorphism in barley: Mendelian inheritance, chromosomal location, and population dynamics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 81: 8014–8019. , , , .
- 2005. Epigenetic control of plant development by Polycomb-group proteins. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 553–561. , , .
- 2006. KNOX gene function in plant stem cell niches. Plant Molecular Biology 60: 929–946. , .
- 1995. The extra sex combs product contains WD40 repeats and its time of action implies a role distinct from other Polycomb group products. Mechanisms of Development 53: 197–208. , , , .
- 1995. LRP1, a gene expressed in lateral and adventitious root primordia of Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 7: 735–745. , .
- 2002. Sequence relationships, conserved domains, and expression patterns for maize homologs of the Polycomb group genes E(z), esc, and E(Pc). Plant Physiology 128: 1332–1345. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Plant stem cell niches. International Journal of Developmental Biology 49: 479–489. , .
- 2006. Conservation and diversification of meristem maintenance mechanism in Oryza sativa: function of the FLORAL ORGAN NUMBER2 gene. Plant and Cell Physiology 12: 1591–1602. , , , , , .
- 2008. Functional diversification of CLAVATA3-related CLE proteins in meristem maintenance in rice. Plant Cell 8: 2049–2058. , , .
- 2003. A POLYCOMB group gene of rice (Oryza sativa L. subspecies indica), OsiEZ1, codes for a nuclear-localized protein expressed preferentially in young seedlings and during reproductive development. Gene 314: 1–13. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Stem cells and cancer; the polycomb connection. Cell 118: 409–418. , , .
- 2005. MAPKAP kinase 3pK phosphorylates and regulates chromatin association of the polycomb group protein Bmi1. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280: 5178–5187. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The PHANTASTICA gene encodes a MYB transcription factor involved in growth and dorsoventrality of lateral organs in Antirrhinum. Cell 93: 779–789. , , , .
- 2008. NtGNL1 is involved in embryonic cell division patterning, root elongation, and pollen tube growth in tobacco. New Phytologist 179: 81–93. , , , , .
- 2006. Functional diversification of the two C-class MADS box genes OSMADS3 and OSMADS58 in Oryza sativa. Plant Cell 18: 15–28. , , , , , .