Environmental versus geographical determinants of genetic structure in two subalpine conifers
Version of Record online: 16 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 1, pages 180–192, January 2014
How to Cite
Mosca, E., González-Martínez, S. C. and Neale, D. B. (2014), Environmental versus geographical determinants of genetic structure in two subalpine conifers. New Phytologist, 201: 180–192. doi: 10.1111/nph.12476
- Issue online: 26 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 16 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAR 2013
- Autonomous Province of Trento
- University and Scientific Research Service. Grant Number: EUI2008-03713
- Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness
- 2002. Interrogating a high-density SNP map for signatures of natural selection. Genome Research 12: 1805–1814. , , , , .
- 2013. Potential for evolutionary responses to climate change – evidence from tree populations. Global Change Biology 19: 1645–1661. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Adaptation with gene flow across the landscape in a dune sunflower. Molecular Ecology 21: 2078–2091. , , , .
- 2003. Likelihood-based inference for genetic correlation coefficients. Theoretical Population Biology 63: 221–230. .
- 2005. Adaptation and speciation: what can FST tell us? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20: 435–440. .
- 1996. Evaluating loci for use in the genetic analysis of population structure. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 263: 1619–1626. , .
- 2000. Soil development along an elevational gradient in the southeastern Uinta Mountains, Utah, USA. Catena 39: 169–185. , , , .
- 2010. Contrasting tree-ring growth to climate responses of Abies alba toward the southern limit of its distribution area. Oikos 119: 1515–1525. , , , .
- 2012. Disentangling the roles of history and local selection in shaping clinal variation in allele frequency and gene expression in Norway spruce (Picea abies). Genetics 191: 865–881. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Genomic scans detect signatures of selection along a salinity gradient in populations of the intertidal seaweed Fucus serratus on a 12 km scale. Marine Genomics 4: 41–49. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Admixture facilitates adaptation from standing variation in the European aspen (Populus tremula L.), a widespread forest tree. Molecular Ecology 19: 1638–1650. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Detecting selection along environmental gradients: analysis of eight methods and their effectiveness for outbreeding and selfing populations. Molecular Ecology 22: 1383–1399. , , , , , , .
- 2010b. Back to nature: ecological genomics of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda, Pinaceae). Molecular Ecology 19: 3789–3805. , , , , , .
- 2009. Association genetics of coastal Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii var. menziesii, Pinaceae). I. Cold-hardiness related traits. Genetics 182: 1289–1302. , , , , , , .
- 2010a. Patterns of population structure and environmental associations to aridity across the range of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L., Pinaceae). Genetics 185: 969–982. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Applications of next generation sequencing in molecular ecology of non-model organisms. Heredity 107: 1–15. , .
- European Communities. 2001. Georeferenced Soil Database for Europe. Manual of procedures Ver 1.1.
- 2008. Contrasting patterns of selection at Pinus pinaster Ait. drought stress candidate genes as revealed by genetic differentiation analyses. Molecular Biology and Evolution 25: 417–437. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Detecting loci under selection in a hierarchically structured population. Heredity 103: 285–298. , , .
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Molecular Ecology Resources 10: 564–567. , .
- 1992. Analysis of molecular variance inferred from metric distances among DNA haplotypes: application to human mitochondrial DNA restriction data. Genetics 131: 479–491. , , .
- 1990. Pinaceae: drawings and descriptions of the genera Abies, Cedrus, Pseudolarix, Keteleeria, Nothotsuga, Tsuga, Cathaya, Pseudotsuga, Larix and Picea. Königstein, Germany: Koeltz Scientific Books. .
- 2008. A genome scan method to identify selected loci appropriate for both dominant and codominant markers: a Bayesian perspective. Genetics 180: 977–993. , .
- 2005. Genetic diversity of core and peripheral Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis (Bong.) Carr) populations: implications for conservation of widespread species. Biological Conservation 123: 113–123. , , .
- 2007. The multifarious effects of dispersal and gene flow on contemporary adaptation. Functional Ecology 21: 434–443. , , .
- 2009. Local adaptation occurs along altitudinal gradient despite the existence of gene flow in the alpine plant species Festuca eskia. Journal of Ecology 97: 742–751. , .
- 2007. The ecodist package for dissimilarity-based analysis of ecological data. Journal of Statistical Software 22: 1–19. , .
- 2005. HIERSTAT, a package for R to compute and test hierarchical F-statistics. Molecular Ecology Notes 5: 184–186. .
- 2007. Adaptive population differentiation in phenology across a latitudinal gradient in European Aspen (Populus tremula, L.): a comparison of neutral markers, candidate genes and phenotypic traits. Evolution 61: 2849–2860. , , , , , .
- 2009. SPAGeDi 1.3: a program for spatial pattern analysis of genetic diversity [WWW document]. Last modified on 22 March 2009 [accessed 24 April 2012]. , , .
- 2011. Application of SNPs for population genetics of nonmodel organisms: new opportunities and challenges. Molecular Ecology Resources 11: 123–136. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. How much of the variation in adaptive divergence can be explained by gene flow? An evaluation using lakestream stickleback pairs. Evolution 58: 2319–2331. , .
- 2010. Geography determines genetic relationships between species of mountain pine (Pinus mugo complex) in western Europe. Journal of Biogeography 37: 541–556. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Global monitoring of autumn gene expression within and among phenotypically divergent populations of Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis). New Phytologist 178: 103–122. , , , , .
- 2010b. Widespread, ecologically relevant genetic markers developed from association mapping of climate-related traits in Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis). New Phytologist 188: 501–514. , , .
- 2010a. Postglacial history of a widespread conifer produces inverse clines in selective neutrality tests. Molecular Ecology 19: 3857–3864. , , , .
- 2012. FactoMineR: Multivariate Exploratory Data Analysis and Data Mining with R. version 1.20. 2012-10-02 06:51:50. , , , .
- 2007. A spatial analysis method (SAM) to detect candidate loci for selection: towards a landscape genomics approach to adaptation. Molecular Ecology 16: 3955–3969. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Local adaptation in the flowering-time gene network of balsam poplar, Populus balsamifera L. Molecular Biology Evolution 29: 3143–3152. , , , .
- 2011. Climate-driven local adaptation of ecophysiology and phenology in balsam poplar, Populus balsamifera L. (Salicaceae). American Journal of Botany 98: 99–108. , , , , , .
- 2003. Alpine plant life – functional plant ecology of high mountain ecosystems, 2nd edn. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer. ISBN 3-540-00347-9. .
- 2011. Contrasting local and regional Holocene histories of Abies alba in the Czech Republic in relation to human impact: evidence in forestry, pollen and anthracological data. Holocene 21: 431–444. , , , , , .
- 2010. Historical and contemporary dynamics of adaptive differentiation in European oaks. In: DeWoody A, Bickham J, Michler C, Nichols K, Rhodes G, Woeste K, eds. Molecular approaches in natural resource conservation. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 101–117. , , , .
- 2012. Long-distance gene flow and adaptation of forest trees to rapid climate change. Ecology Letters 15: 378–392. , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Quantifying effects of environmental and geographical factors on patterns of genetic differentiation. Molecular Ecology 20: 4631–4642. , .
- 2008. A meta-analysis of local adaptation in plants. PLoS One 3: e4010. , .
- 1973. Distribution of gene frequency as a test of theory of selective neutrality of polymorphisms. Genetics 74: 175–195. , .
- 2009. Postglacial range expansion and its genetic imprints in Abies alba (Mill.) – a synthesis from palaeobotanic and genetic data. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 153: 139–149. , , , , et al.
- 2002. Equations for potential annual direct incident radiation and heat load. Journal of Vegetation Science 13: 603–606. , .
- 2010. The Arabidopsis nuclear pore and nuclear envelope. The Arabidopsis Book 8: e0139. , .
- 2007. Adaptive gradients and isolation-by-distance with postglacial migration in Picea sitchensis. Heredity 99: 224–232. , .
- 2010. Local adaptation at the range peripheries of Sitka spruce. Journal Evolutionary Biology 23: 249–258. , .
- 2012b. The geographical and environmental determinants of genetic diversity for four alpine conifers of the European Alps. Molecular Ecology 21: 5530–5545. , , , , , , .
- 2012a. Contrasting patterns of nucleotide diversity for four conifers of Alpine European forests. Evolutionary Applications 5: 762–775. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Genetic variation within European tree species. New Forests 6: 23–47. , , .
- 2008. Scanning the genome for gene single nucleotide polymorphisms involved in adaptive population differentiation in white spruce. Molecular Ecology 17: 3599–3613. , , , , .
- 2008. Heterogeneous genomic differentiation between walking-stick ecotypes: “isolation by adaptation” and multiple roles for divergent selection. Evolution 62: 316–336. , , .
- 2011. European digital archive on soil maps (EuDASM): preserving important soil data for public free access. International Journal of Digital Earth 4: 434–443. , , , .
- 2012. The heterogeneous levels of linkage disequilibrium in white spruce genes and comparative analysis with other conifers. Heredity 108: 273–284. , , , , .
- 2008. Forests of the past: a window to future changes. Science 320: 1450–1452. , , .
- 2011. Pursuing glacier retreat: genetic structure of a rapidly expanding Larix decidua population. Molecular Ecology 20: 473–485. .
- 1992. A global biome model based on plant physiology and dominance, soil properties and climate. Journal of Biogeography 19: 117–134. , , , , , .
- 2011. Global vegetation and terrestrial carbon cycle changes after the last ice age. New Phytologist 189: 988–998. , , .
- 2011. Scanning the genome for gene SNPs related to climate adaptation and estimating selection at the molecular level in boreal black spruce. Molecular Ecology 20: 1702–1716. , , , .
- Quantum GIS Development Team. 2011. Quantum GIS Geographic Information System. Open Source Geospatial Foundation Project.
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. [WWW document] URL http://www.R-project.org. [accessed 8 July 2011].
- 2004. Forests, tree physiology and climate. Encyclopedia of forest sciences. London, UK: Academic Press. , , .
- 2004. Genetic structure and selection in subdivided populations. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 2009. Carta dei suoli del Trentino: scala 1:250.000. Museo Tridentino di Scienze Naturali. , .
- 2007. Gene flow and local adaptation in trees. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 38: 595–619. , , .
- 2002. Single nucleotide polymorphisms derived from ancestral populations show no evidence for biased diversity estimates in Drosophila melanogaster. Molecular Ecology 11: 947–950. , .
- 2002. A microsatellite-based multilocus screen for the identification of local selective sweeps. Genetics 160: 753–763. .
- 1999. Genetic relationship among Eurasian and American Larix species based on allozymes. Heredity 83: 62–70. , .
- 1991. F(ST) in a hierarchical island model. Genetics 127: 627–629. , .
- 2010. Gene movement and genetic association with regional climate gradients in California valley oak (Quercus lobata Née) in the face of climate change. Molecular Ecology 19: 3806–3823. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Potential impact of climate change on vegetation in the European Alps: a review. Climate Change 50: 77–109. , .
- 2009. Combined analysis of nuclear and mitochondrial markers provide new insight into the genetic structure of North European (Picea abies). Heredity 102: 549–562. , , , , , .
- 2012. Genome scanning for detecting adaptive genes along environmental gradients in the Japanese conifer, Cryptomeria japonica. Heredity 109: 349–360. , , , , .
- 2009. Altitudinal differentiation in growth and phenology among populations of temperate-zone tree species growing in a common garden. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 39: 1259–1269. , , , , .
- 1983. Organic matter and nutrient dynamics in forest floors of young and mature Abies amabilis stands in Western Washington, as affected by fine root input. Ecological Monographs 53: 139–157. , , , .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38: 1358–1370. , .