Combinatorial functions of diverse histone methylations in Arabidopsis thaliana flowering time regulation
Article first published online: 18 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 201, Issue 1, pages 312–322, January 2014
How to Cite
Shafiq, S., Berr, A. and Shen, W.-H. (2014), Combinatorial functions of diverse histone methylations in Arabidopsis thaliana flowering time regulation. New Phytologist, 201: 312–322. doi: 10.1111/nph.12493
- Issue published online: 26 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 18 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 JUL 2013
- French Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS)
- French Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR)
- Higher Education Commission (HEC)
- Arabidopsis thaliana ;
- FLOWERING LOCUS C (FLC);
- FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT);
- histone demethylase;
- histone methyltransferase
- Previous studies in Arabidopsis thaliana have identified several histone methylation enzymes, including ARABIDOPSIS TRITHORAX1 (ATX1)/SET DOMAIN GROUP 27 (SDG27), ATX2/SDG30, LSD1-LIKE1 (LDL1), LDL2, SDG8, SDG25, and CURLY LEAF (CLF)/SDG1, as regulators of the key flowering repressor FLOWERING LOCUS C (FLC) and the florigen FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT). However, the combinatorial functions of these enzymes remain largely uninvestigated.
- Here, we investigated functional interplays of different histone methylation enzymes by studying higher order combinations of their corresponding gene mutants.
- We showed that H3K4me2/me3 and H3K36me3 depositions occur largely independently and that SDG8-mediated H3K36me3 overrides ATX1/ATX2-mediated H3K4me2/me3 or LDL1/LDL2-mediated H3K4 demethylation in regulating FLC expression and flowering time. By contrast, a reciprocal inhibition was observed between deposition of the active mark H3K4me2/me3 and/or H3K36me3 and deposition of the repressive mark H3K27me3 at both FLC and FT chromatin; and the double mutants sdg8 clf and sdg25 clf displayed enhanced early-flowering phenotypes of the respective single mutants.
- Collectively, our results provide important insights into the interactions of different types of histone methylation and enzymes in the regulation of FLC and FT expression in flowering time control.